Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question. I'm a big old fat boy yet I find that on my 29er SS I can climb better than on my full-suspension Moto-lite.:skep: Is this normal? I am constantly amazed at the stuff I can climb with just one gear. I know that 29" tires help with traction and the geometry is set up for me. But still, it is amazing. :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
EDDIE JONES said:
Just a question. I'm a big old fat boy yet I find that on my 29er SS I can climb better than on my full-suspension Moto-lite.:skep: Is this normal? I am constantly amazed at the stuff I can climb with just one gear. I know that 29" tires help with traction and the geometry is set up for me. But still, it is amazing. :D
Couple of qualifiers that need to be made.

1.) Do you run 26" tires on the Moto-lite?

2.) Do you stand during climbs on your Moto-lite?

3.) Is your 29er a rigid or fully sussed 29er?

Makes more sense you'll climb better if you can stand on your 29er as opposed to staying seated on the Moto. Also, due to the nature of 29ers to cover more ground with the same effort it takes on a 26er, you're definitely going to find it easier to propel yourself forward. Finally, I would submit that a rigid frame is almost always going to climb better than a fully sussed frame.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Climbing

I do stand on the 29er. On the Moto-lite, I tend to sit and spin. Being a big boy a full sus starts wallowing in it's travel when I stand no matter how efficient the suspension is supposed to be. I do believe that the rigid rear is a lot more climbing oriented. The 29" wheels take the sting out of deescending, so I may have found the perfect combo for me. Suspension front, 29" wheels, one speed, right geometry:thumbsup:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Same here. I find it easy to stand on my 29er, but not easy on my 26" Voodoo or Surly 1x1.

Both bikes have the same size cogs, but the 29er feels like 2 teeth more on the rear of the 26" wheel.

But just to add a bit of fuel to the discussion, I also find my single speed 20" Dahon Hammerhead climbs almost as well on 60" gear inches but with road tyres.

So on one side we have wheels with little rotating mass (20") and wheels with flywheel like rotating mass (29er) and both seem to climb well, while my 26" wheeled bikes do not seem so lively on climbs.

Beats me!

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
climbing

I thought I was the only one that did not find it easy to stand on a 26er. Thought (although never said out loud to anyone ) that it could be my rotund belly getting in the way.:skep: Now I enjoy most climbs;)

·
In the rear with the gear
494 Posts
I am in the same boat, climb much better on my 29er (rigid/ss) than on my old FS (subsequently sold the fat pig). For me, I think it was weight. The 29er weighs in 25 lbs and the pig was 37+ pounds. Building up a 26er ss right now and will have two forks to play with, a surly instigator fork that I can run with a 26er or a 29er wheel, which I will test out both. Then I have a Manitou Splice from the pig that I am also going to play with.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Not sure if this is correct or not, but here is my take. I have found that I think climbing on a SS is easier than a geared bike too. First off, don't think that for one minute that climbing on a SS is not hard. What I am trying to say is, I feel like climbing on the SS is the same action over and over with no increase in difficulty, just me getting more tired. On a geared bike when you are sitting and spinning, it seems to get harder and harder to spin the farther you get up the hill. So, I figure if I get in good enough climbing shape, I will be able to out climb the geared bike with out a problem.

Also, you say you are a bigger guy. Standing uses that weight to your advantage and helps push the pedals down, where sitting down just adds weight to what you are dragging up the hill. :thumbsup: .

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Climbing

gatman said:
Not sure if this is correct or not, but here is my take. I have found that I think climbing on a SS is easier than a geared bike too. First off, don't think that for one minute that climbing on a SS is not hard. What I am trying to say is, I feel like climbing on the SS is the same action over and over with no increase in difficulty, just me getting more tired. On a geared bike when you are sitting and spinning, it seems to get harder and harder to spin the farther you get up the hill. So, I figure if I get in good enough climbing shape, I will be able to out climb the geared bike with out a problem.

Also, you say you are a bigger guy. Standing uses that weight to your advantage and helps push the pedals down, where sitting down just adds weight to what you are dragging up the hill. :thumbsup: .
Your last comment was a good point. I also tend to think that your mind knows that one speed climbing on a 29er SS is supposed to be hard so you commit to it stronger in your head that you are going to make it. On a geared bike, you know that you can drop to the granny so the committment is not there or not as strong.(Geez, I think I just psycho-analyzed myself...........sorry:skep: )

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
jddjirikian said:
Also, due to the nature of 29ers to cover more ground with the same effort it takes on a 26er, you're definitely going to find it easier to propel yourself forward.
???

Assuming you are running the same gear inches on the 26" and the 29", this isn't true. And if you do change the gear inches then it's the gearing not the wheel size that makes the difference.

·
Registered
460 Posts
EDDIE JONES said:
Your last comment was a good point. I also tend to think that your mind knows that one speed climbing on a 29er SS is supposed to be hard so you commit to it stronger in your head that you are going to make it. On a geared bike, you know that you can drop to the granny so the committment is not there or not as strong.(Geez, I think I just psycho-analyzed myself...........sorry:skep: )
Less mental stress can equate to better physical performance in my opinion.

For instance instead of having to worry about what gear to be in approaching a hill and when to shift to get the optimal momentum, you can just hammer away on a singlespeed.

Makes sense to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.