Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Might as well repost this then:

Hello everybody. My name is Nico, and this is one of my first times posting in the Clydesdale forums. I would like to share my ambitions and goals with you to further give me confidence in my abilities.

-Current age 17
-Current height: 180cm (5'11")
-Current weight: 109kg (240lbs)
-Previous weight: 125kg (276lbs) October 16 '08
-Goals: <200lbs by summer
-Rewards: Specialized Stumpy HT Comp, XC MTB racing

I have a dream of competing in local XC MTB races. I fell in love the sport of XC Mountain biking when I bought my first "REAL" bike. I can honestly say that my bike saved my life, and truly helped me remove bad habits of overeating and inactivity. I was at a bad weight before I started biking and working out at my local Goodlife gym. In the dark times, (when I was very inactive) I suffered from game addiction, notably the game "counter-strike: source." In that time of my life I had a hard time going upstairs, and everyday tasks became difficult. It was when I quit "gaming" and started riding, that my life really changed. I started riding with the local night rides at the bike shop. Surprisingly, I was able to keep up with the sport racers for 4 hours of riding. After that I got into the gym and started doing spin classes. The spin classes greatly improved my climbing to the point that I can keep up with very fast guys up steep climbs. Luckily for me the only climbs we have where I live is a 60m tall man-made hill, so most of the XC is in the forest single track. Overall my goal is to loose all the weight, get into the racing community, and get a healthy and happy ME out of it.

Thank you everybody for listening, and I will keep you posted when the weather gets better up here in Southern Ontario.

+My new Polar F6 is sweet.

·
slow uphill
570 Posts
Saw the 2008 thread when I first joined and figured I'd wait for the 2009 thread to jump in.

Height: 6'8"
Starting Weight: 315
Current Weight: 279
Goal Weight: 235
Bike: 2007 Raleigh XXIX+G

The biggest goal is really performance, not weight. I rode in my first MTB race and my first off-road triathlon towards the end of 2008. This year I'm increasing the number of events, including the XTERRA West Cup Championship race. The goal for that race is to not embarass myself.

Method: continue training in all three sports with a goal of at least 5 workouts per week. Right now I'm closer to 3.5 per week. Also, maintain a healthy diet combined with vitamins/supplements - ideally staying under 2400 calories per day. Daily beer/single malt of 200-250 calories included in that figure.

Reward: not sure yet. racing is, to a degree, the reward. entrance fees are at least expensive enough to qualify as a reward, I guess.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm about 1/2 way done, but 2009 is around the corner, so here's my info:

Height: 6'8"
Start Date: Sept. 1st. 2008
Starting Weight: 285
Current Weight: 250
Goal Weight: 215
Goal Date: June 1st.
Bike: 2008 25" Ventana El Rey

Fitness Goal: Get in shape, loose weight. Really nothing competitive at this point, but I'm a competitive person, so I'll probably find something to compete in once I get in better shape. I'd like to be able to run 6 minute miles again.

Method: Mountain Biking 2-3 times a week with at least a 1 hour climb per session, running 3-6 miles 1-2 times per week, tennis 2-3 times per week, and riding my bike back and fourth to school (10 mi round trip) 4 times per week.

Reward: Being able to go to the beach with my shirt off. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
well this seems a good place to document my progress..

weight: 401 pounds.
height: 1.63 centermeters or 5 foot 2 inchs i think.
Goal weight: 200 pounds then see how i feel

I ride a giant Suede comfort cruiser. I updated the rear de railuer to deore. Now i am able to ride more I am thinking of buying a Cannondale F4Z or a Kona Hoss.

·
Registered
10 Posts
New Clyde on MTBR

Goal: loose the gut (50 lbs) and compete in and complete 5 races in 09

Weight 300
Height 6'4"
Age 51

First post to the forums and was gad to see this opened for 2009. I have a Rockhopper 29 sold my road bike after finding out how much fun off road biking can be.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
i met last years goal (get down to 285)... but kinda let off and went backwards for a bit (moving around and holidays does that to a guy) so i'm in...

-Current age: 29 (dang i'm getting old
-Current height: 6'3?
-Current weight: 300lb (35 less then i was last year this time and a LOT more muscle)
-Previous weight: 335+... scale didn't go any higher so not sure exactly
- Fitness Goals: weight goal get under 250# and not go back... idealy i want a BF% somewhere under 20%, also get my blood pressure down and under control with out meds
-Riding goals - keep better track of my rides on my ride log, also average at least 125 miles a month between road and dirt riding.
-Rewards: thudbuster when I hit about 260#... assuming I still want one... depending on finances maybe a new bike.
-Event goals:
- hit under 1hr on the PORC time trial in feb. and under 55min for the april event.
- compete in 12hr race in panama city as a team if it doesn't conflict with the PORC epic
- complete the PORC 50mile epic in November as a solo rider
- do my own century road ride at some point during the year...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I started riding in September 08 and wanted to burn 30lbs by the end of the year or so but that didnt happen. il start with new goals for a new year. Heres my stats. I really do enjoy exercise but the issue i have is i live to eat instead of eat to live.. I figure riding 3 times a week and going to the gym twice to work on treadmill and weights is a decent plan to start out on.. I guess i can update every month/quarter this year? Just wish me luck!

12/31/08
A-30
H- 5'11
W- 330
Pant size 44

Target Weight-220
Pant size 36/34
by 12/31/09.

Ive decided to try the weight watchers point system with my workout.. im skeptical about it but il see how it goes for 6 weeks or so.. Also i decided to update every friday to see my progress.
1/5/09-333
1/9/09-329.5
1/16/09-325
1/23/09-323

Im going to start posting my results in the weekly weigh in forum.. i will probably copy the results here in june and december..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just starting out. I work in a high stress field and have gone from 285 to 370 over the last 13 years. My current weight is 348 @ 6'. I have a 04 Hardrock Pro Disk and an 87 Bianchi Axis Hybred. Both bought new and rarely ridden. My target weight is 185. I would like to improve my fitness level to the point that I can participate in mb and road races. Age 48. I hope to see everyone posting updates!

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
DeVianTiCoN said:
I started riding in September 08 and wanted to burn 30lbs by the end of the year or so but that didnt happen. il start with new goals for a new year. Heres my stats. I really do enjoy exercise but the issue i have is i live to eat instead of eat to live.. I figure riding 3 times a week and going to the gym twice to work on treadmill and weights is a decent plan to start out on.. I guess i can update every month/quarter this year? Just wish me luck!

12/31/08
A-30
H- 5'11
W- 330
Pant size 44

Target Weight-220
Pant size 36/34
by 12/31/09.
skip the treadmill while at the gym you've already got cardio going on, concentrait on strength traning... hit the weights hard and in a planned fashion... being you'll only be going twice a week try to do primarily full body/compound exercises and get your entire body. www.bodyforlife.com and www.johnstonefitness.com (beginner section of the forum) for some good reading

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
Current Weight: 221
Goal Weight: 190
Ride: Yeti 575
Riding Goal: 100 mile endurance race in July; 12 hour solo in November; Leadville 2010
Reward: Hardtail 29er (probably Karate Monkey)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, count me in for this too.

My goals for 2009 is to lose 50 (or more) lbs, and just generally get in shape, and be able to just take off for the day on my bike, and have the freedom to go, and not worry about running out of gas in an hour and a half. I also plan on doing some weight training at home, since finances do not allow a gym membership at this point.

Height: 6'0"
Current Weight: 285 lbs (or thereabouts, will update if required)
Goal Weight: 235 lbs

Bike: Ross bike of unknown model (was a gift years and years ago).

Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
donalson said:
skip the treadmill while at the gym you've already got cardio going on, concentrait on strength traning... hit the weights hard and in a planned fashion... being you'll only be going twice a week try to do primarily full body/compound exercises and get your entire body. www.bodyforlife.com and www.johnstonefitness.com (beginner section of the forum) for some good reading
well im not a total noob when it comes to the gym.. i used to lift alot of weights etc.. i was thinking of doing weights 3 days a week something like this

Sun- Bike/weights
Mon- Bike
Tue-Cardio Machines/Weights
Wed-Bike
Thu-Cardio machines/Weights
Fri-off
Sat-off

Something like that.. The big issue with me is sticking to the diet uggh.. Also i attached a pic of me back when i weighed around 255 a few years back..i wanna get to that and go further to around 220. if i know i can do more i will try to get a 1 as the first number of my weight since i was like in 8th grade lol.

Attachments

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
I'm in.

Height: 6'1"
Start Date: Jan. 1st. 2008
Starting Weight: 247
Current Weight: 247
Goal Weight: 215
Goal Date: June 1st.
Bike: '08 Jamis XCR, '06 Trek Madone

·
Registered
50 Posts
Me too. I've been riding since about 1990 but the last two years I have had some challenges and hardly got on my bikes at all. Job change, two moves across country and in August I broke my wrist mountain biking. Two surgeries and almost four months off my bikes. Needless to say I've packed on some weight and lost my cycling mojo. 2009 is the year I make my comeback.

Height/weight: 6'0"/221

Weight goal: 185

Performance goal: Get back to where I was 2 years ago and maybe even a little bit better than that. I usually ride with guys 15 years younger than me and I used to be able to hang tough and also inflict a little bit of pain on them every now and then. I want that back. Bad. Also this is the year I actually try an organized race of some sort. Probably MTB, but it might be a road or cyclocross event too.

Bikes: Santa Cruz BlurLT Classic and a Litespeed roadie

It's time to suffer and I'm ready.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
Ok, why not set it down in stone

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 235lbs
Target weight: 200lbs

Lost about 20lbs over the past couple of years, but it has been slow going. I'm getting tired of wearing out so quickly on rides. I'd like to be able to ride more than three hours a day and ride for several days in a row.

·
Motobey
276 Posts
weight down

I'm 43

20 less for summer 2009

Happy New Year and keep up the good work ya all.

;)
I'm 5'8" lost around 25 last year and more to come this year

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Happy New Year

so here it is Jan 1- 2009
my name Mike im a new-b to the forum, but not new to working out or biking. I used to mountain bike a lot in the early to mid 90's , (you know when we called trail riding and singletracking "mountain biking".lol) and have been in and out of gyms since the late 80's..However im not new to being big. I have always been a big guy even in great shape i would still post 225lbs at 5'10"... however now married 10 years and working a stressfull job 60 hours a week for the last 15 years has taken taking a toll..and on top of that i have a one year old son (so fricken cute) so even less time i want to be at the Gym. so here is to new beginnings and eating more healthfully.

my goal is to lose 40lbs by February 28th and then get down to 250lbs by Thanksgiving, going to Disney in Fla,

im 5'10"
338 lbs
39 yrs old
live in s.e. michigan.
riding a Scwinn Hybrid, selling on ebay right now..
will buy possibly Kona Hoss, or new Specialized P. all mountain, or a Gary Fisher Wahoo...i have not decided yet...

good luck to all of you.. sorry i had add a pic of the boy Jax.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 182 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.