Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

9501 - 9520 of 9532 Posts

·
Fatbiker Fatbiking
1,425 Posts
PierreR: Unfortunately, too many projects that have been on hold for a long time, including the boat. Toss the truck into the mix. We'll follow alongside ya, from here, that is, if you are able to post while on the trail. And offer up moral support, for what that's worth.

A battery builder company in Germany came out with a 750wh battery for the Yamaha and the Bosch motors. Lotsa info on the german pedelec forums. Since the virus though, not much info from the mfgr has come through, leading me to believe they were victim of the China virus and the halting of manufacturing of battery cells.

Even so, there is no US vendor and dealing with any business one on one from Germany is just not happening.

Right now I've 3 Yamaha batteries, the 400wh original battery and two 500wh's I bought two summers ago. I'd like a third 500wh as I had in mind a long distance trip down to Cape May, NJ, crossing the Delaware Bay via the Cape May/Lewes Ferry, then going up north to Dover to visit former neighbors and close friends. Still might happen this summer, if I have a good handle on completing the Truck and getting close with the boat. Plans, always planning to make more plans upon other plans....

·
Registered
512 Posts
Right now I've 3 Yamaha batteries, the 400wh original battery and two 500wh's I bought two summers ago. I'd like a third 500wh as I had in mind a long distance trip down to Cape May, NJ, crossing the Delaware Bay via the Cape May/Lewes Ferry, then going up north to Dover to visit former neighbors and close friends. Still might happen this summer, if I have a good handle on completing the Truck and getting close with the boat. Plans, always planning to make more plans upon other plans....
Sounds like you have a fair amount of range in batteries. Probably 120 miles with a touring load. Projects like the boat and the truck do hang over you and sub-consciously cause you to feel you don't deserve to do a big trip. Those kind of projects tend to do that to me.

·
Registered
937 Posts
OK, I just caught up with some reading. First and foremost ...... Wade, sorry to read about you diagnosis. I hope you and the doctors get through it, you shift into a lower gear and climb up, over and through this latest news. I will have you in my thoughts and prayers.

The weather has been mild enough during the day to get out for trips around town, Low 40's with wind chill in the mid to high 30's has been no problem. Warmer tomorrow and Friday and I will get out. Had a flat on the Fuse yesterday and I have that fixed so I'll ride it tomorrow .... Hopefully.
I've been taking things apart and striping my new workout room (daughters old room). I'll have the headboard and shelves out tomorrow. The dresser went Monday. Slow but sure progress. Peloton arrives next Saturday.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Thanks all. The kind words speak volumes.

At the moment, I am awaiting further information as to what this blood disorder is. At this point, keeping it on the back burner since there is nothing currently. Wait to respond after the lowering of the boom is in order, after which, it would be time to sort out treatment and such. Isn't being a special care cat wonderful???

Mike, it's all Pierre's fault! He came over, took your truck apart and now you hafta put it back together.. Somehow, Tex and Chief might have been involved too!!!

Pierre, we are going to be on the lookout for the trip report once you are trippin! This will be awesome for you to take on such a fine endeavor.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I will tell you guys what is funny for me this week. Since I was really sick back in mid February I have had practically no ability to smell, poor taste, a lot of fatigue, some diarrhea here and there and weight gain. I tested negative for antibodies in July and negative for COVID last month. I never had any respiratory issues with that illness but I did have a high fever.
Just this week my smell has returned, my taste and I have more energy. I am not complaining but it seems funny all this time later. I now know why old people stink. Lots of things I own suddenly stink.

·
Fatbiker Fatbiking
1,425 Posts
Sounds like you have a fair amount of range in batteries. Probably 120 miles with a touring load. Projects like the boat and the truck do hang over you and sub-consciously cause you to feel you don't deserve to do a big trip. Those kind of projects tend to do that to me.
I think you are in the ball park with that range estimate, PierreR. It's why I've gotta save some more pennies to pick up a fourth battery. I hear ya about piggybacking a cheaper battery into this drive system, but that is beyond my paygrade of knowledge. And this yamaha, like the bosch, has a closed, proprietary bms system that I really don't want to risk damaging any of it. Repair parts aside from the display and some motor bearings, maybe a wire harness or two from overseas; that's it. Everything else is replace in kind, with new.

No doubt, the boat and now the truck are hanging like anvils around my neck! Toss in the other day by day routines and calamities to address and it starts to become paralysis by analysis, not sure which order or preference these things take in that pecking order called The To-Do List. When the truck gets done, some kind of road trip with the Haibike tagging along is in order......

Supposed to be 50 today as this string of good wx continues. Think I'm going to dress out and head north to see what's up on the trail as well as on Lock 1.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Banshee, I'm VERY good at taking things apart. :oops:

Pierre, I'm glad to hear your starting to feel better. I hope you get back to your norm soon.

In the 50's here today. I took a 10+ mile ride and dropped off some sweet potatoes at some deer spots. It was between them and the trash. Why waste them. Right.

I got some bad news today a fishing buddy that I met through a fishing website (like this) passed away yesterday. His wife called today and gave me the news. Such a shame. Rest in Peace Steve Panus aka Steve in Mass from StripersOnline. You will be missed.
They had a Cooking Forum there that the owner changed the name to add his today. A wonderful tribute.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
See!! Mike, I told ya!!! Chief bears watching...

Pierre, WHAT'S THAT SMELL???

·
Fatbiker Fatbiking
1,425 Posts
25 mile run up to Lock 1 today. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.

Chief: Sorry about the passing of your striper fishing buddy. I took a quick look at that forum and he was loved by everyone who crossed his fishing line.

Wade: I know! All this time I thought he was pelotoning in his back room.

Hope the transfer case timing chain job turned out a-okay.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Mike,

The transmission showed up yesterday for the customer's 1 ton Dodge. It weighs in at close to 400 pounds. A six speed hunk O iron. It will be going in over the next few days and getting the ole ranch truck back to work.

·
Fatbiker Fatbiking
1,425 Posts
Thursday Ride Report-Homebase to the Kinkora Trail, backtracking to Bordentown, NJ and the D&R Towpath to Trenton, NJ and back to Homebase.......25 total miles

At the grade crossing project, workers were there, so I turned around and headed back with Lock 1 in mind. Here, on the Kinkora Rail Trail, looking east at the riding tun and the Route 130 tunnel ahead. This here was site of the actual railroad line and you can see how high the rail bed was built up from the Crafts Creek swamp/lowland.

About a mile and a half from the last shot, here I'm at the Crystal Lake Park, on the trail, looking west. To the right and at the horizon is Roue 130 (more on that later). Beyond 130 directly is a large bluff with the Delaware River back channel & Newbold Island and beyond that, the Delaware River and Pennsylvania. It's around here that my frozen skull started to warm up from the initial ride start.

Right next to the D&R Canal State Park Lock 1 pedestrian bridge and lock chamber. The H bike is propped alongside a concrete bollard, another is in the background. Bollards are what the barges used their mooring lines to tie up to while going in and out of the lock chamber. Being that this canal closed in 1934 and was built in the 1830's, the age of these bollards are somewhere in between opening and closing. Old!

At this time of year, I've always detected a mom and pop Eagle tending to their young ones in this large next deep in the CC Abbott Marsh. That does not appear to be the case this season. Seems empty.

Site of the former Lock 1 Memorial Mud Puddle and Highway Run-Off, the area was repaired last spring during the Covid LockDown of this trail by outside contractors who also laid down a fresh layer of cinders from the top to the bottom of this 4 mile trail.

Still at the Memorial, showing the rock lined run-off ditch leading into the Delaware and Raritan Canal. Recall in years past posts, this area often required cyclists to ford through a deep mud hole from the above highway bridge overpass run off. Very nice work done here.

This downfall, above the Penn Central Duck Island coal line spur, has been across the trail for over a month. The skinny thin branches are poison that grows onto most of the trees around this trail. Touch it when the leaves are out and if you are allergic, you will be itching and breaking out.

Trail. Abandoned Canal. NJ Transit RiverLine Main trackage. Abbott Swamp and within the Abbott Swamp, I-195. Reaching the end of the trail, I am now heading homeward. Trails end at Trenton is about 3/4 mile north of here/

Off the towpath as a NJ Transit RiverLine light rail vehicle set is heading northbound, off the Bordentown Yacht Club at Farnsworth Avenue.

At Fieldsboro, NJ, Route 130 and the bridge that spans the spillway for Crystal Lake. The other bridge pillar has it's build date-1936. Formerly known as Route 25 and very well one of the oldest highways in NJ, Route 130/former 25 is a north/south roadway that went from New Brunswick to the north, to the Delaware Memorial Bridge to the south.

I pedaled on the shoulder from here on Route 130 South, to a closed stone road called Spring Factory Road so I could reache the Kinkora Trail. Then, it was over the grade crossing project, into the village of Roebling and then, back to homebase. 25 miles total, 11 mph average speed. High power setting, lightly pedaling at about 81 RPM. Cold to coolish after getting warmed up.

And that old, familiar good feeling that puts a smile on our faces when we mount our bikes for the first time in over a week or so. It occured to me while riding that our bikes afford us a kind of personal freedom to go down some little-explored pathway; an oasis of freedom when things all around us are getting locked down.

·
Fatbiker Fatbiking
1,425 Posts
Mike,

The transmission showed up yesterday for the customer's 1 ton Dodge. It weighs in at close to 400 pounds. A six speed hunk O iron. It will be going in over the next few days and getting the ole ranch truck back to work.
Phew, but I'm not surprised. Those tanks weighing over 5000 pounds have to have transmissions built to that standard. And to think of the transmissions I took out by myself, laying on the cold concrete, to change out a clutch and pressure plate. Picked up some vintage Opel 4 speeds for my upcoming Opel GT restoration project (LOL-that's right, one more iron in the fire!) and those things weigh about 65 pounds or so. 8 inch clutch.

Like a toy compared to these modern day behemoths.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Back in college I built a 4 wheel drive car that was heavy. I used a 67 mustang body but the mechanicals were a mid engine turbocharged International Harvester 638CID engine with Allison gears. Very heavy transmission and the car was some where's north of 6000lb A real head turner but a bit impractical (about 8 mpg) I bought a wrecked runway crash truck. Ahh the crap I did when I was young.

·
Fatbiker Fatbiking
1,425 Posts
Friday Ride Report- Homebase to Pemberton, NJ and back....

First, the particulars:
Haibike Full FatSix
Total miles-29.2 miles, 95% asphalt riding, tires at or around 22 psi
Average speed/maximum speed: 13.5/22.1 mph
High Power motor setting
Battery power percentage remaining: 19%
Estimated miles range left in charge: 10 miles
Total odometer miles: 12319 miles
Weather: Cloudy, 44 degrees, wind out of the east at 13 mph

A little short cut road off of county road 537. This will take me right into Juliustown, NJ. Past rides, I'd take a route to the same destination, but added approx 5-6 miles to the total ride. Plus this is more scenic, the farm to the right is a big one and on a hill. Reminds me of what I used to see out in Iowa.

Outside of Juliustown and onto the finely paved (with bike lanes) Pemberton-Fort Dix Road. Might all roads be made like this, it's easy to pedal in the upper reaches of 19 mph. In my pedaling area, this little stretch of road is the rarity. Be lucky if there is a 6 inch shoulder.

Hanover Street, Pemberton, NJ, next to Creekside AutoGlass and the old and venerable ***** Canoe Rental on the Rancocas Creek. The next phase of this ride will be riding in the Rancocas Woods alongside the creek, hooking up with the Union Transportation RailRoad/Pennsylvania RR/Penn Central RR bike trail, which will lead me back to Hanover Street at the old UTRR Pemberton Station.

Rancocas Creek with the current moving westbound over the Grist Mill Dam, Hanover Street, Pemberton NJ.

Downstream side of Grist Mill Dam, Rancocas Creek. I imagine the dam provided power to run a mill at the present day Grist Mill Antiques location. This is cedar water, stained black from the stands of cedar trees that grow alongside the Rancocas as well as other NJ Pine Barrens streams and rivers. The Rancocas has two major stems, North and South Branches, that provide drainage for a large area of east Northern Burlington County. This stem is the least developed, the North Branch. Both join together near I-295, then flow into the Delaware River. Chain pickerel and crappy (calico bass) are two main sports fishing species whom live in the acidic waters in the Pine Barrens. Canoeing was once a big past time, but in recent generations, I've observed the amount of paddlers to have dropped out, unfortunately missing out on a real chance to get out into nature. Even ***** Canoe Rental, a big player in the Pine Barrens canoe rental business, has been long closed for many years now. It could be that the amound of downfall trees on the Rancocas has killed canoeing on the Rancocas.

Sign posted downstream of the Grist Mill Dam.

Same location as the past few shots. Being an NJ Pine Barrens stream, the woods surrounding this trail leading to the UTRR rail trail is home to the fierce, biting flies. Back home, we used to call them Strawberry Flies. In the back bay country of the Jersey Shore, they are called Greenheads. Bigger then the common housefly, they swarm around you in the heat of summer and the only cure is to speed up and get the heck out of there as quickly as possible. The only saving grace is that they are slow, which means while one is biting you, there is a good chance you can kill it with a good smack. Unless it's biting you in the middle of your back, which they like to do. I don't know how they home in on you, but it's like you tripped their alarm systems when you enter these woods, then it's full attack mode. They are active about 8 am, when the sun burns off any morning mists, and are active until near sundown. Then, at dusk, the mosquitos here, take full control. Flies, Mosquitos, Biting Chiggers, the NJ Pine Barrens in summer is a place to consider avoiding unless equipped with a good lathering of OFF!!

Pemberton NJ UTRR railroad station. Built in a time when the railroad was the main transportation artery to our major cities. The UTRR went from Camden to Hightstown, NJ, servicing the small farm communities of Northern Burlington and Mercer counties on it's route. That New Jersey unfortunately, is ancient history but for a post like this that brings it to life but for a small section of time. Hanover Street, alongside the station, begins the Ft Dix-Pemberton Road, so it's a matter of backtracking every mile I took to get here. A good ride, a long ride that the ebike allows a person to take who may not be in great summertime condition. In the past year, I've grown to love this ride cause it's not as hectic or filled with trail walkers and fast riding cars as the Lock 1 route anymore provides.

·
Fatbiker Fatbiking
1,425 Posts
PierreR, I imagine Colin Anthony Bruce Chapman, Mr Lotus, would not approve of such a heavy car, even if it was mid-engined. But I think he would recognize and approve of that spirit of engineering a car from the ground up.

I'd love to see a picture of that car, for sure. And I believe that kind of spirit lives on in every kit car builder who sets out building his own Cobra or 356 or Speedster or Ferrari out of a kit or some clapped out Fiero.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Mike, I am not certain I can find a picture of it anymore. I came across one about 5-6 years ago but could not find it a few months back. I would probably have to dig into boxes unopened since the move 31 years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Phew, but I'm not surprised. Those tanks weighing over 5000 pounds have to have transmissions built to that standard. And to think of the transmissions I took out by myself, laying on the cold concrete, to change out a clutch and pressure plate. Picked up some vintage Opel 4 speeds for my upcoming Opel GT restoration project (LOL-that's right, one more iron in the fire!) and those things weigh about 65 pounds or so. 8 inch clutch.

Like a toy compared to these modern day behemoths.
The New Venture 5600 iron transmission (six speed manual) in the pre 2005 dodge trucks was that heavy for towing reasons. It would't fail compared to the automatic transmissions when towing its rated 13.5k pounds and more (I've towed 22k). Hard to shift but strong. The newer Dodges have a mercedes aluminum transmission with a dual mass clutch and is lighter but I don't know how strong it is. I bought the last New Venture equipped truck on the lot, for my horse trailer towing, as they changed over to the mercedes tranny's. Now I have a wooden rack in the truck's bed to carry my Farley fat bike and leave the horses home.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
The New Venture 5600 iron transmission (six speed manual) in the pre 2005 dodge trucks was that heavy for towing reasons. It would't fail compared to the automatic transmissions when towing its rated 13.5k pounds and more (I've towed 22k). Hard to shift but strong. The newer Dodges have a mercedes aluminum transmission with a dual mass clutch and is lighter but I don't know how strong it is. I bought the last New Venture equipped truck on the lot, for my horse trailer towing, as they changed over to the mercedes tranny's. Now I have a wooden rack in the truck's bed to carry my Farley fat bike and leave the horses home.
Without a doubt! It sure is a behemoth. With the power the Comeapart diesel makes, it is necessary. Just think, it is durable enough to carry a fatbike! Don't even try that with a Subaru...

9501 - 9520 of 9532 Posts