Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

9481 - 9500 of 9532 Posts

·
Fatbiker Fatbiking
1,425 Posts
I'm liking the generator idea and trailer; something I kinda daydreamed about for a bit when the idea of these very small, low wattage generators were brought up over at another ebike forum. Your generator there is perfect, just the right size in an ultralight generator for single camping folks. And ebikers.

I'd have to review that article again as I see the importance of having gas fueling stations along the way is going to be important. If they are not in the way along that trail, maybe that coast to coast trip would be more idealistic as you can maybe more easily plot a campground/gas station per riding day route then that off road trail.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
My, my... Pierre, way to go!
A friend did one of these trips from Colorado to the Pathetic Northwest a few years ago. Only batteries were GoPro and iPhone... He ended up out on the west coast and spent a week exploring the area. Unfrotunately, he became ill and hopped a train back to Colorado. He was crushed to have it end like that but I still have mad respect for the whole thing going as well as it did and the fact that he was able to do any of it in the first place.

Frankly, I am highly interested in close range bikepacking trips of a few days to a week in duration and frequently.

On the next topic... Health. Well this one doesn't look good, unfortunately. I was diagnosed with a rare blood disease last month. Fvck 2020, Fvck that bastard of a damned year! It seems as though, I get sorted with kidney and heart disease, not that those were enough, here I go again. Getting this one sorted presents yet another challenge that I hope to grab by the bloody horns and take down.
/end rant

On a better note... Sunspot and I had a ride today, 2nd ride of '21. What I didn't do is check his tires pressure before going out. Being a nippy 24°, the pressure dropped, tires were wrinkling and had traction like velcro. I didn't mind since there was sufficient snow to grip with the full width of tread biting in and keeping Sunspot rolling with excellent manners.
Settling into or onto Sunspot's comfy seat and spinning along was brisk and just felt right. What a blessing a pithy little dirt racer is with clear skies, soft tires, a comfy seat and the rays were warm, or so it seemed. The ride was a necessity to the need for diversion from the health issues mounting as of late. I really didn't pay attention to distance ridden, just that awesome feeling of gliding along on a very comfortable, long and slack geometry. I swapped the 40mm rise bar from Sarge III to Sunspot to get a little more comfortable reach vs, Sunspot's 25mm rise bar. Both bars are the same make and model although one is 25mm rise, the other 40mm. Sarge does feel good with the 25mm bar so I need to ride and sort that out. Perhaps another 40mm rise is in order.
/bike rides rock! :D Even if the tires feel soft... I will say this, soft tires beat the hell out of sliding around like ball bearings on a marble floor! Fukken A, Bubba!!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm liking the generator idea and trailer; something I kinda daydreamed about for a bit when the idea of these very small, low wattage generators were brought up over at another ebike forum. Your generator there is perfect, just the right size in an ultralight generator for single camping folks. And ebikers.

I'd have to review that article again as I see the importance of having gas fueling stations along the way is going to be important. If they are not in the way along that trail, maybe that coast to coast trip would be more idealistic as you can maybe more easily plot a campground/gas station per riding day route then that off road trail.
The Honda holds 1.2 gallons and will run 10 hours on that, plus another gallon would be 20 hours. I can no doubt charge at 750 watts so I can pull 75% from the generator and not waste fuel. There is plenty of fuel along the route. The Honda is an inverter type of generator and altitude compensation, EU standard.
You ready to go Mike. I can fix anything that goes wrong with your bike and figure out how to charge it fast. That e bike is not affected by altitude. I plan on probably bypassing some of the single track that is taxing as far as technical or hike a bike over logs or not legal with an e bike. Most everything is legal in Utah.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Mike, I actually plan on terminating the Plateau Passage trip in Moab and tacking on the Kokopelli trail to Fruita Colorado for a trip of around 1050 miles. This would avoid a lot of cold wet weather at higher altitudes and worse logistics.
The Kokopelli trail can also be found on Bikepacking.com under USA south west.

·
Fatbiker Fatbiking
1,425 Posts
On the next topic... Health. Well this one doesn't look good, unfortunately. I was diagnosed with a rare blood disease last month. Fvck 2020, Fvck that bastard of a damned year! It seems as though, I get sorted with kidney and heart disease, not that those were enough, here I go again. Getting this one sorted presents yet another challenge that I hope to grab by the bloody horns and take down.
/end rant
0740 hours, Sunday morning as I read the posts from PierreR and Wade; leftover conversations from yesterday's postings. And those above words from Wade could be just as well like a hard punch to the gut. It puts things into stark perspective. As PierreR noted in his post, as Wade has done in the past, Old Bear, Chief, Tex, myself, we get to these crossings in our daily travels in life and we're not sure how deep that crossing is going to be. We just want to ford on through it so we can get to the other side and continue our journey.

Wade, you've had alot of deep water crossings on your own personal ride over just the past few years. Especially in the past year and a half. Not to mention, acting as a bridge this summer for the Old Bear and his own personal journey, with one of the most generous and compassionate gestures of reaching out to someone that I've ever seen. With each one in front of you, you've geared down, went in and got through to the other side. I've no doubt you will do the same with this obstacle as well. We may not be there along side ya in the physical sense of things, but know that we will be riding right along side you, wherever your trail leads.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Mike,I don't have a Ford! I have a Jeep... I'm DOOMED! o_O

A sincere thankya, mike. Very kind words of support are greatly appreciated.
Sunspot and the crew are on the job doing their part. They specialize in therapy, be it mental or physical. Bikes have brought the lot of us through many trials in life and we would be in deep trouble without them. It is amazing how an inanimate object takes on a life of its own, being a friend, a therapist and of great support in times of need. No wonder we continue to shower em with gifts thus, paying it forward!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I might be doing this bikepacking trip alone. One of my sure bets of friends to join the trip has decided to do a much more gerry friendly trip in June. He and his wife have signed up for a fully supported credit card paved bike tour from Chamonix through the Tuscany Valley to the French Riviera. Sounds like a really rough bike trip. I still have two other possible people to go. When push comes to shove though, the tire kickers quickly back out. I am also working on some other Guinea Pigs to join me. This is not a trip that should be attempted alone.
I am going to start collecting stuff that I need this week. I will order Ortlieb bags and Jones bars. I have started to design and collect the things I need to manufacture a specialty trailer to carry stuff.
Wade, keep on using them therapy bikes. I have not ridden mine for a week. It may be next week before I get to ride it again. Very busy with skiing related stuff right now. Deadlines to meet for this weekend.
In a little more than two weeks I fly to Lake Tahoe to free ski with some very high level skiers. I will be gramps in that crowd for sure. It's funny, in skiing I am at the top of the heap. In mountain biking I probably don't know enough to know what I don't know, yet I have as much passion here as I do in skiing. Time to get some sleep.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Pierre,

it can be very challenging to get a commitment from folks these days. Hope you get sorted with a group event happening.

·
Fatbiker Fatbiking
1,425 Posts
Sheesh, things are very quiet around here lately......

No riding since my own last report here. Crappy cold wx, rain mixed in here and there.

Wade: Hoping and praying you and your doctors have figured out a road to full recovery and health following your report posted 9 days ago here. I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed our other regulars have not homed-in on your subtle, yet gut punching health report, 9 days ago. As always, I put everything out in the open......transparency is truth.......so, there. When folks disappear from a sideline hobby they seem to enjoy, fatbiking for health, it does raise some concern. Especially with this new strain of covid popping up here or there.

I set out early this afternoon on the Haibike FFS, down the Kinkora Trail in hopes of maybe pedaling down to Burlington City (that is a southbound trip) and back. 20 miler. But as there were railroad workers at the crossing doing whatever they are doing, I simply turned around and called it a day......4.6 miles total. Gray skies. No wind or breeze. Cold, temps in low 40's.

Front derailleur has been hitting my chain with the front sprocket on the big chain ring and the first two to four gears on the cassette low end. Still running the original front derailleur cable so she may be stretched out, but I'll have to wait for warmer wx before jumping into this one.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sheesh, things are very quiet around here lately......

Wade: Hoping and praying you and your doctors have figured out a road to full recovery and health following your report posted 9 days ago here. I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed our other regulars have not homed-in on your subtle, yet gut punching health report, 9 days ago. As always, I put everything out in the open......transparency is truth.......so, there. When folks disappear from a sideline hobby they seem to enjoy, fatbiking for health, it does raise some concern. Especially with this new strain of covid popping up here or there.

I Front derailleur has been hitting my chain with the front sprocket on the big chain ring and the first two to four gears on the cassette low end. Still running the original front derailleur cable so she may be stretched out, but I'll have to wait for warmer wx before jumping into this one.
Yes Mike, things are quiet. As soon as out ski season starts I am either busy at the ski hill, sleeping or wanting to sleep. That is a good share of the reason I am not posting as much.

Wade, I wish you the best of luck in dealing with your situation. I know that you are dealing with a housing problem and now a blood problem in addition to the other problems you have been through. You have to have some emotional intelligence because your postings are still largely about life and fairly upbeat. How you choose to look at things is so important to the quality of life when dealing with tough issues. That says an awful lot to me about the quality of person you are. I have always surrounded myself with people whom look for life instead of miserly. Keep us posted on your progress.

Mike, on your cable problem. Make sure all of the cable housing ends are firmly seated in their holders. sometimes the housing end can dislodge and shorten the effective cable and cause your issue. If not you can probably thumb the cable adjusters and take care of it unless they are maxed out.

Right now it looks like a good friend of mine is serious about doing the spring trip with me. That changes the planning considerably from a solo trip.

Right now the only snow locally is man made or an hours drive away.

·
Fatbiker Fatbiking
1,425 Posts
Pierre, thanks for that derailleur tip, everything is properly seated in both ends. I've tried playing with the barrel adjuster to the point where I'm maxing it out and still getting a clicking. I'm probably more impressed that this derailleur has given such great service for so long, with no problems, more so then the recent performance of it.

Great news on a potential ride partner for that Plateau Passage trip. Really looking forward to those ride reports when you send them out. As far as snow, none down here in the mid atlantic, north end. Temps in the low to mid 40's this week, approaching 50.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
I'm confused, Mike!?!?! What the hell is a front derailleur???
Approaching 50, Pfft! Looks like shorts are in order with balmy temps going on...

After this week's blood letting, no answers yet. Dunno where it stands and will reach out to the doc to find out what has been learned of this thing. Go figure!

·
Fatbiker Fatbiking
1,425 Posts
I'm confused, Mike!?!?! What the hell is a front derailleur???
Approaching 50, Pfft! Looks like shorts are in order with balmy temps going on...

After this week's blood letting, no answers yet. Dunno where it stands and will reach out to the doc to find out what has been learned of this thing. Go figure!
The early Yamaha powered e-mountain bikes of my vintage had a two front chain ring set up. The newer ones just have one, ususally accompanying a Sram Eagle rear cassette. I look at the 2 chain ring front just like you would with your Jeep and tha 4 High and 4 Low transfer case! I've never sat down with pen and paper and compared which set up, old or new, offered more climbing or top end potential. I want to think mine does, but that's open for debate. On the other hand, Bosch went with that crazy small front crank gear, which while offered more RPM for the pedaler, was not good for the cyclist who wanted to try pedaling the bike with the power off....

Ride on tap for tomorrow, gotta take care of some local homefront things like replacing a fire place insert air blower fan. But right now, the sun is shining bright out there like it's early March!

'Ppreciate the Medical News Front, Wade. Positive vibes and thoughts sent your way, my friend.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,129 Posts
Sunspot has none! I love that reliability and simplicity. The rest of the gang are 1x10's and do require the occasional tweak. Roast a brat for me, Mike!

·
Fatbiker Fatbiking
1,425 Posts
Sunspot has none! I love that reliability and simplicity. The rest of the gang are 1x10's and do require the occasional tweak. Roast a brat for me, Mike!
Wade, I think if you go back in those Specialized Fatboy threads, you will find a person or two, with the original 2 front chain ring set up (mine is the same way, 2 x in the front); who wanted to go single front chain ring as that was the new, hot trend in mtb.....the 1 x front chain ring.

So they took their perfectly fine and relatively new Fatboy and took a Hacksaw to the front derailleur mounting boss and hacked off that welded little block of aluminum from the seat tube! :eek:

Now, a simple minded Simp like me would just unscrew the front derailleur and call it a day. The quest for weight savings is to be commended in some mtb'rs!:rolleyes:

The Sun is so bright right now, I can probably Solar Cook that brat for ya! Have a great day!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Banshee, I hope your medical issues are not too serious. Keep your chin up and keep pedaling.

I have been busy, riding here and there. Nothing too exciting, a couple night rides, local park rides and some time on the trainer (not the best but keeping the fitness makes the outdoor rides more fun). I joined a local Co-op called Toledo Bikes. They refurbish donated bikes and sell them at low cost. They also have court programs where they teach kids how to work on bikes trying to keep them out of trouble. It is a case where a lot of these kids have never put a tool in their hand (other than to break things). So local skilled people volunteer to refurbish the bikes and teach these troubled youth. The kids get to build up a bike and take it home. They have a lot of old bikes that get donated and figure out what is worth building out.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Wade, I hope you find out soon as to a prognosis for your latest setback. The mind wanders and not in a good way when faced with an initial diagnosis and no definitive answers. Keep us posted.

Trying to get budget issues worked out with the war department. Wife is not retired and misery loves company. My wife can no longer ride and me spending money on the bike always costs points. I want to take advantage of early January sales on bike stuff before things get hectic in a month or two and parts become scarce and more expensive. I need to spend about $2k for trip preparations and can save a bunch if I pull the trigger now. Right now I can buy two 738 Whr batteries and a 52 Volt 15 amp charger for $750. That would give me a total battery capacity of 2,560 Whr or a loaded dirt road range of 180 miles between charges and a fast charge capability of 880 watts per hour. If I stopped on hour for lunch and charged I would put in 60 miles of juice. After that I want a set of Jone's bars, a new rear wheel, Otrlieb panniers, better clothing and some better camp gear.
That setup should allow me to dirt tour at 20 mph if I wanted to. I find that 16-18 mph is much better for two reasons. One is the noise and wind resistance really start to climb past this and the stress and paying attention goes up with the wind. You lose the unique experience of hearing nature and being more aware of your surroundings. 20 mph also would drop the range to 105 miles.

·
Fatbiker Fatbiking
1,425 Posts
Tex, that sounds like a very worthy group to be involved in. Link: Toledo Bikes!

PierreR: The dollar goes very far when it comes to your battery power costs for your bike. Can't speak for anyone else, but it's fun just following along your logistics list. Had I no "irons in the fire" here, I'd seriously be thinking about joining you. Unfortunately the H-Bike doesn't enjoy that kind of economy in battery wh's.....figure roughly a thousand dollars for 500wh at 45 miles in high power. Ouch.

·
Registered
512 Posts
PierreR: The dollar goes very far when it comes to your battery power costs for your bike. Can't speak for anyone else, but it's fun just following along your logistics list. Had I no "irons in the fire" here, I'd seriously be thinking about joining you. Unfortunately the H-Bike doesn't enjoy that kind of economy in battery wh's.....figure roughly a thousand dollars for 500wh at 45 miles in high power. Ouch.
Mike, all e bikes have a back door for more battery power. When I say that I mean that any e bike battery can be tapped in. In 36 volt you can buy 500 Wh for less than 200 bucks. I am buying 1,450 Wh for $665.00. That is from a reputable dealer with Samsung E cells, 3,500 mWh 18,650 cells.
Even on a bike that has battery sensors it can be done. You have to find the two connecting points where you tap in a lead and all external batteries feed in from that point. It is quite possible that you have to have your proprietary battery in place for your controller to work properly.
Think of it like a gas tank in your car. You have a gas tank that cannot be removed from you car because it has a gauge and a fuel pump unique to the computer in your car. You can however have an eternal tank that pumps in fuel to your car's unique gas tank and the computer does not care. Just like charging your phone from a battery block, you charge your bike battery as you ride from a bigger battery.
You wanna go I can figure that out and do it for you in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ahhh, Moma just authorized the purchase of the batteries and charger. Done. Now to figure out the best place to mount these batteries. Lowest place and least likely to affect bike handling.

9481 - 9500 of 9532 Posts