Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious about experiences riding fat bikes in grassy areas. I don't mean knee high grass. I an thinking more like riding alongside a highway or a median, where the grass is thick like a lawn. Why? This would extend my riding range in a urban area without riding on high traffic roads.

This type of surface is very difficult on a 29er with 2" tires. Some 1 3/8" hybrid tires seemed to do better on grass. It may be a pipe dream to think any bike is not going to be pretty difficult to pedal on that kind surface, I would appreciate any shared experience. I have read several places that really wet must is a lost cause even on a fat bike.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I personally haven't found riding in grass that difficult with most any sort of bike, but fat bikes handle it fine. I think tall grass and scrub-brush, aka "off trail" are one of the areas where these bikes really shine. They are GREAT for exploring. :)

·
On wuss patrol
5,047 Posts
Legal in WA too. Seems like fatties and fatties go together. Lots of people here do both/and.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
You wanna do what...with what? :skep:

I would think a cyclocross bike setup would work best in those situations. Thats kinda what most cyclocross races are.....on grass? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Large contact footprint grips on grass. Lower pressure for more float when the ground is soaked, higher when it's not. Rolls right across where other bikes sink in.

Had one to a bike show last summer. Deflated to 3 lbs so people could try a Larry on the grass to see how the large flat contact patch turned the wheel into seeming like a rolling tank tread.

·
1,711 Posts
I would suggest going tubeless though or at least putting some slime in your tubes... riding along side roads in grass tends to have junk or lots of weeds/thistles (depending on your area) that can give you a flat pretty quick.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the replies. I think the conclusion is FBs do well under dense short grass or soggy, grassy ground.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ride green roads and grassy field surrounds here in SE Scotland/NE England.
Fatbikes are good if the turf is soft as you would expect :thumbsup:

coastkid71,

Thanks for the comment. I have enjoyed your videos. Very mesmerizing and they contributed to my recent fat bike fascination. I just discovered the genre in November. Since had a chance to try ride a Pugsley, a Mukluk, and a Moonlander at least for a couple blocks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts