Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I visit the MTBR forums, I ALWAYS check out the Fat Bikes topic area. It always brings a smile to my face. I am inspired. I love the pictures of rides and fatbike builds, and the videos too. I also really like the fact that you are all a bunch of FANATICS who know their schizzle. This area seems to be the least politically-charged forum on the site, which gets a thumbs up from me: :thumbsup: .

Now. Below is what I really love, this is sheer unbridled entertainment (be sure to share your highlights of happiness as well):

• the videos from ward, tscheezy, and coastkid71
• the pictures of fatbikes, and fatbike builds (Borgschulze, martinsillo, the guy with the Curry Squirt "Fatties F*&k Fine" Pugsley with the WWII tank appearance and Woody's fenders, Zarni's white/red Pugsley-I never thought it could look pretty, and he has succeeded, and seeing tscheezy's incredibly fit/shapely ladyfriend enjoying riding her sweet-ass pink Fatback in the show-I show those pictures {and videos} to my wife with the idea that eventually she'll GET IT and start showing more passion toward cycling) and of course those of you who've shot the wad on the custom frame builds get extra credit)
• the knowhow and industry insider (so to speak) knowledge from folks such as thirstywork, Velobike, etc. (sorry if I omitted anyone here, I am just going along with my remaining braincells)
• Caminloco's Belgian MONSTER fatbike tandem thread
• SelfPropelledDevo's posts-mainly the Surly Big Dummy threads, since I also own one, slightly non-fatbike-related, yet slightly still relevant :eekster:
• All sorts of other random stuff… hard to think now, the two 650s of 8.8% and 10% are getting to my blood.

Share your favourites. If this seems is a stupid thread, don't join in. I haven't even received my real fatbike yet, but this topic area (Fat Bikes) as well as the "DIY Lighting" sections are what reeled me into these forums-I had been on the RoadBikeReview forums until early last year, I am the turncoat who loves dirt more than asphalt.

Give yourselves (all of you who participate in this forum topic are) a pat on the back, as you all make this one of the happiest forum areas on the whole site!!! :thumbsup: :cool: :band:

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Andy FitzGibbon said:
...This forum is by far one of the most civil on MTBR.
Perhaps it's because fatbikes attract people who actually ride their bikes places instead of posturing and doing rad dude gnarly type stuff on the same spot. In my case, I'm not interested in jumps and drops, but I love seeing good scenery.

Perhaps it's because when we modify our bikes it's not simply bolting on some shiny anodised bit that has just featured in an advertorial. Most of us have had to assemble our bikes from scratch, and some have even built their own frame.

Or maybe it's just because we're the good guys :thumbsup:

Reactions: blockphi

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
i dont even go into any other forums. i am contemplating starting my own Kustom cycling forum piggybacking my web site, but how can i have a fat forum when this one is running so smooth. in two years we havent had one problem or attitude. it seems that people from other forums come here to get away from it all and get back to their roots, Fat tire fun.

OG Bighit

·
Lighten up.
1,089 Posts
To echo a few things:

- Devo's the granpappy of the Dummy and the Fatties from my historical perspective. Props to you, brother.

- ...and more props to the wild ones in Alaska who are, to say the least, inspirational. And driving the fat industry forward.

- the tude around here: it is, indeed, most excellent. As stated above, I don't go anywhere else lately. Just come in here for a virtual hug of fat lovin' goodness (wait...whuuut?)

Peace & Grease to all you Freaks.

MM
Fellow Freakazoid Robot

·
a lazy pedaler
1,949 Posts
you are right Leo...this Forum is the best!

On my favorites I also have, Surly (not so active though) and Commuting (great people there too).

+1 to Devo and Coastkid71... it is because of them that I ended up with a Pugs in the no snow/no sand land :p ...and I can only be thankful for it.

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,393 Posts
miles e said:
Similar vibe to the 29"er forum ~8 years ago. Hopefully it doesn't suffer the same fate :eek:
Ha! My thought exactly. When it's the experimenters and the people with their minds open, it can be really a cool group to hang out with.

I'm hoping that fatbikes are far enough out on the edge that we can stay this way, but it's up to us to keep it up.

Ya'll are doing a fine job, and I'm glad to be here with you.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
miles e said:
Similar vibe to the 29"er forum ~8 years ago. Hopefully it doesn't suffer the same fate :eek:
I just don't see it happening. Fat bikes will never attract the crown looking for an edge over the competition, unless the edge is going slower and having more fun on a heavier bike.:skep:

·
Black Sheep rising
919 Posts
bighit said:
I just don't see it happening. Fat bikes will never attract the crown looking for an edge over the competition, unless the edge is going slower and having more fun on a heavier bike.:skep:
Pretty much agree. While the availability of less expensive complete bikes will open up the market a bit, I can't see it as gaining wide spread acceptance. It will likely remain a niche in the bike scene (did I just use "bike scene"? :rolleyes: ) populated by the more dedicated "extreme conditions" cyclist.

While in any group you will have a certain percentage of d-bags, smaller groups tend to have a better signal-to-noise ratio. We're safe, for now.

Can you feel the love? :lol:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I love fatbikes,
I love this forum and all the features on it...
Riding them is indeed about getting out there, esp places where regular bikes cant or wouldn`t go with out a lot of work,
Thankyou everyone who contributes to this Forum and keep up the good work :thumbsup:

·
Geordie biker
1,376 Posts
its a great forum, i love looking at the adventures on the guys in really northern parts, huge epic rides in crazy temps and snow.

plus the sand adventures and even woodland stuff is also great reading.

its all in the adventure when it comes to fat bikes, despite me owning one, i dont get out a bike as much as id like so the next best thing is reading and looking the pics on here.

·
My cup runneth over
2,424 Posts
Regarding the future of the fat forum I do see some very minor instances of one of the same traits that have doomed other forums (this from a relatively recent fat forum reader):
‘Fat bikes are the (only) best bikes’ - this destroyed the 29er forum and it occasionally creeps into posts here.
It’s really nice not to see any of the ‘my brand is better than your brand’ [email protected] This has ship-wrecked many of the manufacturer’s forums.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I love the fact that I knew nothing about fatbikes going into my build. I came on here read a bunch of posts asked a bunch of questions some were stupid questions and one's that have been asked a countless number of times and I got respectfull and helpfull answers. No one blew up or replied with a sarcastic answer I was treated as I have been on here for years.

So I just wanna thank everyone for their help cause I absolutly love my new pug, now I just need to get used to riding in the cold so I can but more miles on it to get me in shape for my first race in 2 months.

Thanks Again!!!!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
As a well-informed-consumer and DIYer, I find mtbr to be an invaluable source. I come here to get real world reviews and perspectives from actual users- people even more passionate than me- which is something I don't get much of in my local area.
The fat forum brings this even a step further. I had never thrown a leg over a fatbike before I bought one, sight unseen, (other than online pix) from a bike shop that's four time zones away. I would not be on a fatbike now if it were not for the information (and passion) that I have found on this forum.
Along with ward, tscheezy and coastkid, it would be remiss not to mention mikesee's video (and experiential) contributions as one of the things I love about this forum.

·
Cheesiest
1,615 Posts
Word...Same vibe that I used to get on an adventure motorcycle forum. Great folks and bikes!

Fat is definitely where it's at!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.