Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fat bikes climb better than any other bikes

11K views 61 replies 29 participants last post by  kapusta 
#1 ·
True or false? I have ridden with some friends with f/s bikes and they have been shocked that my fat hardtail (Canyon Dude) climbs faster than their more expensive MTBs. I am slower descending (mostly due to my fear and lack of ability) but this bike climbs so well! I am on Jumbo Jims, so maybe that helps?

#6 ·
Dammit. Here we go again. Not all fat bikes are slow...faster than other bikes in certain scenarios, but marginally slower overall.

The difference the OP is observing is likely a difference in skillset vs your friends more than the bikes your riding.

My fat bike is faster than my XC FS on many surfaces...mostly soft, loose, or surfaces of a certain roughness (think 1-3" bumps).

#7 ·
100%
When you ride a fat bike the increased rolling resistance and weight actually makes the bike go faster.

The only reason pros don't race them in XC is because of a great conspiracy by the non fat bike manufacturers to keep them out and the fact that it would give the fat bike rider an unfair advantage over the field.
Dammit, you were not supposed to expose this. Consider yourself warned!

#17 ·
So yeah, silliness, not unusual coming from fat bike rider
Eeeeehhhhhhh, not all of our silliness is the same... :)

With me being the control in the experiment I can say that in 4 inch mode my fat bike climbed way better than the skinny 2.1 inch wheeled ancient hardtail it replaced. I am even faster still on the lighter and taller 29+ wheels. There are certain tech sections where I ride that would really benefit from a rear suspension to keep traction, which would increase my climbing speed further.

That said, fat = fun. Fast is only useful to purchase fun. Otherwise I just don't care. I like to climb, I like to push myself. I don't measure any of it with any other unit other than fun.

#31 ·
Time for n+1+1?

There is a place and time for all... But gravel would be the first I'd unload. But man it is fun riding single track and passing dudes on FS. Priceless looks.

Then I park it and let it gather dust for months again.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I certainly climb faster, and even ride faster, on most trails on my Canyon Dude than my FS Tallboy 3.

I love this bike and even after 4 years, nothing tempting me to replace with. I am still considering 29*3" wheelset for summer though.

#41 ·
My experience seems to be a little different than most, so I thought it might be interesting to share.

I'm a giant, and my 'everything' bike (xc racing to DH) is a 190mm fs 29er weighing 40lb.

When I first rode a fat bike I expected it to climb like an anchor... I was wrong!

It climbed like an anchor dragging another anchor behind in on an elastic rope!

However the descending was fun, no control, but it didn't matter!

#42 ·
My experience seems to be a little different than most, so I thought it might be interesting to share.

I'm a giant, and my 'everything' bike (xc racing to DH) is a 190mm fs 29er weighing 40lb.

When I first rode a fat bike I expected it to climb like an anchor... I was wrong!

It climbed like an anchor dragging another anchor behind in on an elastic rope!

However the descending was fun, no control, but it didn't matter!
My guess it depends heavily on the trails. Smooth fire road, overkill. Loose, steep rock and roots, I find fatbike fantastic to sit and spin.

#53 ·
Gnarliest dude I know is literally climbing (and descending) every peak in the region on a Fatty. I couldn't believe it when he started his project, but the proof is in the pudding. Category "Bike Alpinism": fat bike climbs better, no doubt in my mind.
What races is he doing?

#9 ·
As one data point, I recently did a nice local ride. 18 miles and 2600 ft of climbing. I had done this route 3-4x before on my steel gravel bike (with 40mm tires, weighing a good 6-8 lbs less than the fat bike). It's all fire roads with a bit of pavement -very little technical but some bumpy stuff. I was very surprised afterwards to see that on most segments I was faster on the fat bike than the gravel bike (and in some cases significantly faster)! And the fat bike was definitely more fun!

#16 ·
Or that people don't consider different conditions could mean different experiences for other people. I split my time 50/50 on my bikes, and much more frequently set PRs on my fat bike.

Maybe it is attributed to the conditions I ride in the North East, or maybe the way I ride (sit and spin).

Overall I've gotten much faster and better the last few years and continue to see improvements on both bikes. I think the fat is more engaging and challenging, but also more rewarding. Starting to reach limits and upping psi more and more though.

#39 ·
I think the clear conclusion is that fat bikes win either way:

(a) they climb faster than everything else (on dirt) - win because you are winning
(b) they are slower but you get a better workout trying to prove (a) - win because you are getting a better workout and that is also winning

Boom.

#48 ·
There may be specific situations where a fat bike works better, like very rough, steep and short climbs. But on long sustained climbs weight and rolling resistance will make you slower, and the longer it is the more pronounce the difference. It's just physics.

Why don't you switch bikes with your buddies, do a very long climb, and see if fat is fast.

#5 ·
So this really depends on the rider and the bikes. Also the type of F/S bikes your friends are on. If they are on some long travel enduro bikes and not so fit, I would agree that a Canyon Dude will climb faster/better. If they are some F/S 100mm XC race bikes and in decent shape... no way. Either they are in poorer shape, or you were on beach sand/snow. I race a bit of XC, and my F/S climbs most things better than my hardtail except for pretty smooth fireroads or pavement.

#13 ·
depends on the climb. They're pretty capable on a lot of the traction lacking climbs. My fat bike is a very "sit and spin an easy gear" bike compared to my other full suspension bikes that often times require a bit more finesse and power output to grind up a techy climb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.