Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to start my first wheel build for my fat bike. I will be using btlos carbon 65mm rims with a measured 537mm erd nipple grove to grove. I will be using 2.0 / 1.6 / 2.0mm (14/16/14 gauge) double butted DT Competition Race spokes. My hubs will be hope fatsno 197 x12 rear and hope fatsno 150x15 front hub. I do not have the hubs in my possession but feel confident that hope posted specs will be the same from hub to hub. Waiting on my hubs still. I used Musson's spoke calculator and worked out 260.9 nds front, 261.1 ds front, 262.9 nds rear, and 261.1 ds rear. Am I correct in assuming that I would purchase 48 262mm spokes and 16 264mm spokes? I would buy some extras for each to have on hand. I will be using sapim 12mm chrome brass nipples. I asked the rim manufacturer if I should use nipple washers and they said it would be up to me to either use them or not. I already have a stash of washers. What is the consensus on using nip washers? Does that rounding up look right on the spokes?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am about to start my first wheel build for my fat bike. I will be using btlos carbon 65mm rims with a measured 537mm erd nipple grove to grove. I will be using 2.0 / 1.6 / 2.0mm (14/16/14 gauge) double butted DT Competition Race spokes. My hubs will be hope fatsno 197 x12 rear and hope fatsno 150x15 front hub. I do not have the hubs in my possession but feel confident that hope posted specs will be the same from hub to hub. Waiting on my hubs still. I used Musson's spoke calculator and worked out 260.9 nds front, 261.1 ds front, 262.9 nds rear, and 261.1 ds rear. Am I correct in assuming that I would purchase 24 262mm spokes and 8 264mm spokes? I would buy some extras for each to have on hand. I will be using sapim 12mm chrome brass nipples. I asked the rim manufacturer if I should use nipple washers and they said it would be up to me to either use them or not. I already have a stash of washers. What is the consensus on using nip washers? Does that rounding up look right on the spokes?
First of all you'll need 64 spokes in total for two wheels with 32h? If the calculations are accurate and show such numbers, I would get 48x260 and 16x262. I would double check using for example the Dr Swiss spoke calculator. From washers I have zero experience.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all you'll need 64 spokes in total for two wheels with 32h? If the calculations are accurate and show such numbers, I would get 48x260 and 16x262. I would double check using for example the Dr Swiss spoke calculator. From washers I have zero experience.
Sorry about the math. That's the numbers that I should have put down. Do you round up?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used both the prowheelbuilder and the Musson's wheel builder calculator and they were close. I am sticking with the Musson's Calc because it takes spoke diameter into consideration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.