·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... It seems like you had a tremendous amount of gear. Was it necessary?
I assure you that was not me.
As he's a guide and has previously traveled Baffin Island on foot and on skis, I expect that he's fully aware of what's necessary. He was solo, so it's not like gear could be shared out among others. He was taking flares & whiz-bangs to deal with Polar Bears if necessary (Park - no guns allowed), but I haven't heard details of the trip.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
130 km, 10 days, 13 km per day(average), on what appear to be snowmachine trails, with @25% pushing vs riding. Curious about what the remainder of the time was spent doing? Exploring off the bike? I would definitely like to see more info. Looks like a gorgeous place.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the specs for that bike. "David’s build was built for rough, unforgiving terrain so it is heavier than most builds. His bike was right around 29.5 pounds with pedals."

Borealis Yampa Large Black/White
Borealis FF1 Fork
Sram X9 shifters
Sram X0 Rear Derailleur
Avid BB7 Mechanical brakes w/160mm rotors
Avid SD7 Brake levers
Race Face Ride 22/36 175mm cranks(190 Q factor)
Race Face 100mm BB
Truvativ Stylo T30 Bar
Truvativ Stylo T20 Stem
Truvativ Stylo T20 Seat Post
WTB Pure V Comp saddle

Turnagain FR80 rims
Borealis FH1 Hubs, 135x15mm front and 190mm rear
Wheelsmith 14G straight spokes
Wheelsmith 14G Brass nipples
Surly Bud Front Tire
Surly Lou Rear Tire

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow, pretty cool adventure. I'd love to hear more about his gear choices; especially pulling a sled vs having his gear on the bike. The terrain must have been pretty flat to enable this. Also no poggies, no frame bag, no handle bar roll; quite a different set up than what most (all?) other multi days fat bike expeditions I've seen. A great adventure none the less!!

Is it me, or the fork on his bike on the "wrong side" (i.e. rake toward the back). Looking at the distance between the down tube and tire, it looks different from the Borealis website?

bike1.jpg

bike2.jpg

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
... Is it me, or the fork on his bike on the "wrong side" (i.e. rake toward the back). Looking at the distance between the down tube and tire, it looks different from the Borealis website?
I was wondering that too. I guess with the super heavy winds he mentioned in the TV interview, along with towing the heavy sled, he wanted more trail?

Edit: normal fork in photo below.

·
Live Free & Ride
1,575 Posts
Revisiting this thread as the location, Baffin Island, caught my attention recently. Just opened up an article on it in the latest BIKE mag....page 72. Really cool story and expedition details, etc. No idea this place is the 5th largest island in the world, but very remote and desolate!
Decent write-up on the terrain here, along with bikes and conditions....worth a read if you sub. to Bike!

·
sluice box
990 Posts
Revisiting this thread as the location, Baffin Island, caught my attention recently. Just opened up an article on it in the latest BIKE mag....page 72. Really cool story and expedition details, etc. No idea this place is the 5th largest island in the world, but very remote and desolate!
Decent write-up on the terrain here, along with bikes and conditions....worth a read if you sub. to Bike!
also in bikepacking.com @ Island of Ice, Bikepacking Baffin Island - BIKEPACKING.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts