Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AKCheesehea- the snowshoes are ideal for this context. The designer originally had snowmachiners in mind when he developed them but they are great insurance for remote fat-bike trips and are good enough to use for general snowshoeing too.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
I'm not sure I'll ever get the opportunity to do a long, unsupported ride through the snow like that, so it's great to read stuff like yours. Thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I intended to use front and rear brakes, which are very handy for the first third of the trip, as there is a lot of elevation gain and loss. Kim's front hub is non-disc and she has ridden rear brake only for years. On the long wilderness stretch before the Yukon River Kim bent her rotor. I ended up giving her my front rotor and sent the brake home. From that point on it was really fine to without front.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I intended to use front and rear brakes, which are very handy for the first third of the trip, as there is a lot of elevation gain and loss. Kim's front hub is non-disc and she has ridden rear brake only for years. On the long wilderness stretch before the Yukon River Kim bent her rotor. I ended up giving her my front rotor and sent the brake home. From that point on it was really fine to without front.
OK. Lucky you run the same size disks front and rear.

I have family from Homer, now in Anchorage. Would be good to catch up one day for a good long ride.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mtbXCgeek- you should join Homer Cycling Club. Most of the club members are fat-bikers and we host Big Fat Bike Festival every February. But yea, long rides are cool.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts