Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
The problem I have seen with fat bike specific classes is that it is basically an open class and sure you will be racing against fat bikes but the motors can be from any class. For example the Iceman had a fat specific class and it was won by an ex pro racer this year. If I was going to race my fat bike in a summer race and I have in the past I would race in my own age group against riders of the same cat and hope I have the motor to power the beast against the skinny bikes, I guarantee the odds are in my favor of doing better than in a open fat cat. Now if there was enough fat bikes to have age and cat groups that would be a different story but chances that will never happen.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
A soft surface race would be fun in the summer. Sand pits, abandoned quarries, swamps and bogs. I couldn't see myself ever signing up for a fat bike specific class in a regular xc mtb race. I just don't see the point. A bike is a bike.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
There's one like that in FL - though I'm not sure it's a "race" (at least officially):
Bog Dogs Secret Stash: Fatbikes Rule at the 2014 Tour de Picayune

I think the cool thing about fatbikes in the dry/summer is that it opens up a lot of courses to ride that wouldn't be enjoyable on a normal bike. Mix things up (some sand, some serious rooty stuff, some smooth/hardpack) and let people argue about/agonize over bike choice!

-Walt

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
The problem I have seen with fat bike specific classes is that it is basically an open class and sure you will be racing against fat bikes but the motors can be from any class. For example the Iceman had a fat specific class and it was won by an ex pro racer this year. If I was going to race my fat bike in a summer race and I have in the past I would race in my own age group against riders of the same cat and hope I have the motor to power the beast against the skinny bikes, I guarantee the odds are in my favor of doing better than in a open fat cat. Now if there was enough fat bikes to have age and cat groups that would be a different story but chances that will never happen.
That's part of the dilemma for me, I'm a cat 3 rider, and most of the fatbike races are 2 laps, whereas the cat 3 races are just 1. So, for the money, the fat race is a better bargain because you get more riding time, but at the same time, there are a few monsters out there on fatties. A guy i know rode a 65mile, 5500ft gravel grinder on his fatbike a few weeks ago. That's noteworthy in and of itself, except he rode 18 miles to start, got lost during the race after flatting twice & added a few more unnecessary miles, then rode home. In the end, he turned in 111.8miles in 9:43 with 10,077' climbing. This is the type of competition in the Fatbike classes around here... So, I look at the schedule- if Cat 3's go first, I might enter both classes and do the fatbike race for fun and handups, if the fat race is first, I'll choose based on what I'm feeling that day, usually the cat 3 race.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
That's part of the dilemma for me, I'm a cat 3 rider, and most of the fatbike races are 2 laps, whereas the cat 3 races are just 1. So, for the money, the fat race is a better bargain because you get more riding time, but at the same time, there are a few monsters out there on fatties. A guy i know rode a 65mile, 5500ft gravel grinder on his fatbike a few weeks ago. That's noteworthy in and of itself, except he rode 18 miles to start, got lost during the race after flatting twice & added a few more unnecessary miles, then rode home. In the end, he turned in 111.8miles in 9:43 with 10,077' climbing. This is the type of competition in the Fatbike classes around here... So, I look at the schedule- if Cat 3's go first, I might enter both classes and do the fatbike race for fun and handups, if the fat race is first, I'll choose based on what I'm feeling that day, usually the cat 3 race.
That's the speed I averaged in the 20 mile ride I did yesterday with 1500 feet of climbing. I know I'm slow, and I'm ok with that. But it kind of bugs me to know HOW slow. I'll try to use this as motivation. : )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.