Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a fatty in the morning (2012 Pugs)! SO excited... I have wanted one since they first came out... can't wait to join the fat club

Anyways, I have a roof rack on top of my VW Passat with Yakima Raptor bike carriers. The rack tray hardly holds my mtn bike tires, let alone fat tires.

Anyone have any ideas about how to best (most sturdily) put the fatty up top? Pics would be wonderful.

Cheers!

·
Levi Early
223 Posts
I took out the qr on my yakima and put a threaded rod in its place. it is bolted to the rack itself and then i just bolt the fork to the threaded rod. I used 5/16ths rod. then i used a strap to secure the rear tire down since the yak strap does not fit across the wheel/tire combo. I can provide a picture if you would like of what I came up with

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took out the qr on my yakima and put a threaded rod in its place. it is bolted to the rack itself and then i just bolt the fork to the threaded rod. I used 5/16ths rod. then i used a strap to secure the rear tire down since the yak strap does not fit across the wheel/tire combo. I can provide a picture if you would like of what I came up with
a pic would be great. I need to figure out how to haul it home tomorrow... sounds like a good idea and secure

·
Levi Early
223 Posts
i used knurled nuts to secure the rod to the rack, then added 2 more on each side to double nut the rod to the rack so that it could not back out. all i do is set the bike up on the rack without the fork, hand tighten the outside bolts down then use a boxend wrench to tighten the outside nuts to the fork. then use a strap to hold the rear tire to the rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i used knurled nuts to secure the rod to the rack, then added 2 more on each side to double nut the rod to the rack so that it could not back out. all i do is set the bike up on the rack without the fork, hand tighten the outside bolts down then use a boxend wrench to tighten the outside nuts to the fork. then use a strap to hold the rear tire to the rack.
I should have sent a pic of what my rack looks like... It isn't a fork mount but great idea... wishing i had a fork mount now

8002085.jpg
this is the rack i have

·
Levi Early
223 Posts
then I would get some good straps that you can tighten down to secure both wheels. think of it like a motorcycle helmet style strap but larger. that is what i do. that would work for you since you can clamp to your downtube.

btw, the total cost of my fork mount was $4.16

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
We loaded my Moonlander on top of my sons car yesterday. Looked amazing up there. His rack is a Thule, just like your Yakima. The main brace held bike great. Obviously the wheel straps were too short so we used a small elastic strap with hooks on each wheel. Worked great. So a couple of elastics luggage straps will do until a more permanent solution is found. Should have taken a picture, it really did look great up there.
Brian

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I u-bolted a junk rear hub to my rack to make it into a fork mount. then just use a bungee to hold the rear tire.
interesting and easy idea... could you post some pics? thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update. I finally am in the fat crowd! It fit on my roof rack but I didn't want to take it down the highway quite yet... It was on sturdy but i'm not sure if it was that sturdy...

IMG_1479.jpg

I think I am still looking for a way to make it more sturdy up top. maybe something as simple as adding another strap to the front tire would help. It was pretty sturdy but just don't want to dump it on the road quite yet... ;)

·
Thumper
379 Posts
As seen on TV wire ties...nice and simple.

I don't use a roof rack myself but fork mount on tonneau cover setup.

For rear tires, I use a basic nylon strap (for sleeping bags). It's held the tires down fine doing 140kmh on long road trips.

Can't see why it wouldn't work for you roof rack guys.
IMG_2878.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts