Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is going on with the fat bike forum lately? :nonod:

When I first started coming to this forums 2 or 3 years ago, everyone was very nice and all seemed to be on the same page. There was lots of helpful comments, good light-hearted discussion, some friendly joking... and an overall fun little corner of the internet. I wasn't much of a forum person before the MTBR fat bike forums because they always seemed to be full of a bunch of angry people. This was not the case here. I enjoyed showing up and learning from others and participating when I felt I could contribute.

So fast forward. The forums have turned into a rush of new posters with a thousand questions on these new fat bike things they have heard about. Fine... cool... these are really getting popular. Neat. Well that turned into the same questions getting asked over and over again. Did a good amount of us come across as a-holes when we got a little sick of getting asked the same questions? Probably. But it's frustrating being asked the same thing when the information is already there. We all had to learn by looking the information up. Why can't you? So we started getting labeled as jerks in our once happy little forum. Shrug. Whatever I guess... we go on.

Then came the bikes-direct bikes. Fine. Obviously lower quality components, but most of us though the price was right for what you were getting. Not a lot of "hate" on the bikes direct fatty's.

Then big W jumped in goose-first. Well... I don't really want to open that can of worms. I know how you people get. Again... labeled as jerks or elitist for trying to point out the flaws of using a bike from Wal-Mart in anything close to normal fat biking conditions.

So what is the deal? I suppose you put more people with different backgrounds into a room and there will be more arguments. But really, over fat tired bicycles? Those of us who continue coming here do so because we enjoy them. We enjoy talking about them. We have knowledge on them. Yes, we will share it with you if you come here and ask, but know that it might not always be the answer you want to here. So goes the internet.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
I just ignore the static for the most part.

·
Perpetual n00b
1,785 Posts
Duggus, go down to best buy and have one of them geek squad fellers enable this for you.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hey I know, let's talk about rims some more! I mean, there was this picture of a rim on a website somewhere and I think it was carbon and carbon is better right and anyway I haven't actually bought a fatbike or even ridden one but I know I need carbon rims because carbon is the best and I only ride the best well I don't actually ride I just collect expensive parts and hang them on my bikes and then I talk about how awesome my parts are on the bike and how my bike is better than anyone elses bike or at least it would be if I ever rode it but I don't because I'm too busy posting about parts because it's all about the parts and riding is for suckers.

Or at least, that's what 99% of the posts I see are...

·
Registered
332 Posts
This very thread is prophesy come tire. The hate had been foretold.

Duggus I hear you man.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
This exact same thread was started in the 29er forum about 3 or 4 years ago. Starts with enthusiasts ends with the masses. Gravel grinders/monstercross is next.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I've only been at this for two winters, and even in that span, things have declined greatly. I started reading this forum so much that I changed the MTBR bookmark to a Fatbike Forum bookmark. I used to come here expectantly, eager to see some new stoke and photos. Now I come here out of duty, to verify that today's topics are more of the same drivel. It's actually a hassle having the fatbike forum as my bookmark, as it makes it harder to get to the rest of the site.

It is what it is, and this topic won't help it or stop it. It's like that epic summer of riding with buddies in years past. In the moment, you think it's how it will be forever, and don't recognize how fleeting such moments can be. You can only look back fondly and be thankful for what was.

·
Registered
585 Posts
At least all the new people expanding the market will drive tire prices down and prevent fraud. Right?

*ducks*

What bums me out most about this forum is the stark reminder that I'm on a computer and not my bike.

·
Fat & Single
4,130 Posts
too much discussion about discussion
This^

If it wasn't for new stuff being released with the new found popularity i probably wouldnt do much reading here anymore, to much squabbling over what people say and how dare you laugh at my $200 fat bike :)

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
I know I sound like a broken record, but honestly, greater enforcement of rules that encourage users to utilize the search function would be very beneficial.

I often search old threads for info, and 2 years ago when I did a search I would get 15-20 thread with info. Most of it was duplicate, but if you read enough you could find what you were looking for.

Do a search now, and you might get 40-50 threads on the same subject, most of them much shorter, and almost all of them containing very similar information.

The biggest problem is that the threads with really good info that would cover 95% of new users questions get buried and blurred amongst hundreds of other useless threads. If there is no data management, there will be trouble.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You guys have bikes, families, jobs? Maybe its time to re-balance and spend some time away from the forum rather than let it irritate you.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
The "ignore user" feature is wonderful...
What would be even better is an "Ignore thread" button so you never saw a particular thread again.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
This thread is truth. Props to JonsHoda, Duggus, Minitrail, SmooveP, GCappy, TrailMaker, Mendon and all of the other curmudgeons that the bbs won't let me pos-rep anymore.
Thanks for the props, but I'm not worthy! While I am an old curmudgeon I am definitely not in these dudes catagory.

PS:
I agree with duggus and even posted about this a couple weeks ago. Things are getting weird here! I just want to discuss fat bikes and learn. I don't really care to argue with any one especially when I know I am always right!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
This thread is truth. Props to JonsHoda, Duggus, Minitrail, SmooveP, GCappy, TrailMaker, Mendon and all of the other curmudgeons that the bbs won't let me pos-rep anymore.
Great. Now I'm a member of the He-Man Woman Haters Fat Bike Curmudgeon Club?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts