Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer:- I am a full convert and love them.......

There are a few things that I have noticed about my Pug that I have come to appreciate more with time.

These may seem obvious and I apologies if they seem so but I just thought I would share some thoughts.

The wiiiiiiiiiiiide bottom bracket. I really like it and it feels biomechanically really comfortable to pedal. My other bikes do feel 'narrow' in comparison.

The steering. Origionally I had a Kona DH bat with a very short stem, but swapped to a Titec faux Jones bar with a longer 90mm stem and was pleasently surprised !

Pugs have a unique feel and sometimes it feels like you are wrestling the front end back into line. With the Titec, the Pug feels easier to control . I think it has to do with the better leverage of the more ergononic bar position (see Pix).

The Maverick SC32 `upgrade` :- really glad I did this. The endomorphs do give a degree of cush at low pressures, but if you ride beaches with hard ripple pattern sand you will love the Mav . Also is great for just general trail riding. The spacer conversion is easy and still leaves you with 90mm travel. You WILL need a headset that has a taller lower race to allow the Mav to clear the down tube.

Thudbuster upgrade :- as above your a$$ will thank you if you like to ride your Pug alot.

Feeling like you are 10 yrs old again:- free with every ride and priceless :thumbsup: A prescription I would recommend.

Cheers,
Dr FG.

PS:- any others I have missed ?

Please feel free to add :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
i had issues with the short stem and wrestling the bars. i settled on a 100mm and a .5in riser bar. i think its more weight on the front end. it keeps it from wandering. right on with the fork also. i dont miss my thudbuster at all. i just went a different route with my seat and post.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
i had issues with the short stem and wrestling the bars. i settled on a 100mm and a .5in riser bar. i think its more weight on the front end. it keeps it from wandering. right on with the fork also. i dont miss my thudbuster at all. i just went a different route with my seat and post.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Damn. Y'all are using really short stems. I'm using a 140 on my 20" bike. Granted, I could be on a 22" and be happy too, but I don't like how tall the 22" is. I also like the old schoolish feel of the bike set up like I've got it. Then again, the way Surly has the bike designed, its not the new school long top tube type of Xc bike we're all so used to. My Singular is a case in point. I've got it set up w/a 110mm stem.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I'm using a 130mm X4 with the Titec J-Bar and really like it. Straight Thomson post. It was really hard to get the bike long enough. 130mm is the minimum I could ride with this setup and be comfortable. It keeps my weight towards the rear for traction and still enough on the front to steer. None of my other bikes ride a wheelie as easily as the Pug.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts