Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Fat [email protected] out of his room today intending to ride with him in the wet, humid conditions we were experiencing in Northern NJ. He seemed sluggish? "What's wrong?" I asked. A mumbled reply gave me little clue.

Mounting him, I rode the street in front of our house trying to determine if the shock needed air. Something was just not right. Actually, the annoying rebound I usually feel from a full suspension bike was absent. When I stood and pedaled it felt like a platform shock had somehow been snuck on Fat [email protected]'s larger than life body.

Returning to the garage I hooked up the shock pump and got a reading of zero in the negative chamber of the SID. Hmmmmm. I went to the positive chamber and the pressure read 175 psi which was as it should. Back to the negative chamber, I added air and removed the pump. A quick ride and the bike still felt as before. Another check revealed the same zero negative pressure. I sadly realized that Fat [email protected] had blown out one of his chambers. Poor devil. I told him he needed to lose weight and he did try but it was not enough.

I removed the offending shock and replaced it with a spare Fox I had lying around the workshop (doesn't everyone have a spare shock lying around?) Pumped it up to 200 psi, got on and Fat [email protected] seemed more like his old self.

I have to drop him off at the shop tomorrow to get a professional opinion. I'm afraid I may be missing a couple of needed washers. Alas, I could not trust Fat [email protected] and had to leave him home to rest while I headed to the woods with his younger brother, the hardtail.

Now I must face an uncertain future. Put money into a new shock on a bike that is loosing its youth? Suspension parts are beginning to wear and GT is not being very good at supplying my LBS with replacements. Prepare myself for a major parts transplant to the hardtail? Buy a new FS frame? Better yet, maybe its time to dump this whole FS experiment and purchase a long travel hardtail frame. Something in a Chameleon would be nice. If only Santa Cruz had not discontinued their old green color....

Peace and pray for Fat [email protected]
REV

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Technical problem at work. Could not load pics........

Sad for others, not for me.............
Got a "private" ride coming up with two lycra girls (no males but me, hehe) at Jim Thorpe in a couple of weeks. I'll post words, you can start getting your imagination pumped up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts