Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good AM tubeless tire for my 07 ML2. I've narrowed it down to the Maxxis high roller or the Schwalbe Fat Albert. If I could get the big betty ust, I'd consider it as well, but it's not available right now. I'm putting more of a focus on grip vs rolling resistance, as I'm recovering from knee surgery, less than 4 months out of an acl replacement, and I want every bit of grip to prevent falling on the bum knee. I ride both the front range and high country of Colorado.
So who's got any experience with them on the ML2? How's the clearance on the stays?-- I don't ride in too much mud, but one of the trails I ride in the mountains has a lot of wet roots and a few mud bogs. These tires would be replacing some vertical pros that work good on the dry stuff, but suck on the wet roots and scare the hell out of me with my knee right now. They will get mounted on 819s.
I did a search, but couldn't come up with much info.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Whambat said:
I'm looking for a good AM tubeless tire for my 07 ML2. I've narrowed it down to the Maxxis high roller or the Schwalbe Fat Albert. If I could get the big betty ust, I'd consider it as well, but it's not available right now. I'm putting more of a focus on grip vs rolling resistance, as I'm recovering from knee surgery, less than 4 months out of an acl replacement, and I want every bit of grip to prevent falling on the bum knee. I ride both the front range and high country of Colorado.
So who's got any experience with them on the ML2? How's the clearance on the stays?-- I don't ride in too much mud, but one of the trails I ride in the mountains has a lot of wet roots and a few mud bogs. These tires would be replacing some vertical pros that work good on the dry stuff, but suck on the wet roots and scare the hell out of me with my knee right now. They will get mounted on 819s.
Thanks
I ran a Vertical Pro (with tubes) on my 07 ML2 (as a rear tire). I switched to a 2.35 UST High-Roller and love it. There is a weight hit, but it I think it is worth it. The traction is much, much better. As is the cushion. I am running it with about 25-30 lbs of air and they really feel nice. In fact, I am going to race this weekend with this tire.

I have also though a lot about the Fat Albert. Thinking of getting it to replace the Nevegal 2.35 Stick-E in front (running with Stans).

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Try some kevlar bead WTB Weirwolf"s 2.35

I would try some weirwolfs in 2.35 and convert them to tubeless with stans. They seal easily, much easier than any other non tubeless tire I have tried, last a long time and have tons of traction, plus they fit in the ML stays/seatbridge with no problems. Added bonus, they dont cost a fortune!

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Whambat said:
Thanks
I ran them on my old ML. The clearance was fine. Do a search on my username, I posted some pics.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i have fat alberts front and rear and i am pulling them off because the tire is too big for the rear of the ml 2. the tire fits but has so little clearance that small rocks and such are constantly bouncing of of the seat stay bridge. grip was great but rolling was definatly slower. the albert would be a better choice for the rear imo. i just bought a high roller for the front and a larsen tt for the rear both in 2.35. hopfully that will get some speed and livelyness back.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
What?? No love for the WTB's?

Whats the deal, they are good tires at the fraction of the cost of Scwalbes. I actually just ordered some Maxxis Ardents in 2.25 rear and 2.40 front, I'm going to convert them to tubeless, I let you all know how that goes.

·
Registered
832 Posts
craigstr said:
Whats the deal, they are good tires at the fraction of the cost of Scwalbes. I actually just ordered some Maxxis Ardents in 2.25 rear and 2.40 front, I'm going to convert them to tubeless, I let you all know how that goes.
A kevlar bead 2.24 Motoraptor at universalcycles is $45 and a fat albert non-ust is $46, so I don't know that WTB is that much cheaper

·
Registered
954 Posts
Bought the Fat Albert (non UST) intending to use on the rear, but center knobs kept hitting the seatstay bridge (small ML II).

Put it up front and it does everything well. It has got a larger volume (compared to other 2.35s I've used, Nevegal, Rampage etc) so I have been running lower and lower pressure on it. (down to 22psi) 3 mths now, no flats yet.

As said above, grip is awesome but it will shortchange you on the speed (even at higher pressure). When first mounted on the rear--felt like I was pedalling a tractor. Not as bad up front once the rubber has run in a little. Looking at a high roller for the rear now.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I was looking at...

Bubba74 said:
A kevlar bead 2.24 Motoraptor at universalcycles is $45 and a fat albert non-ust is $46, so I don't know that WTB is that much cheaper
The Big Betty @$54 and the Nobby Nic @$58 when I was looking at Schwalbe's, I've been getting WTB's here in Reno for $39.99, I hadnt compared to the fat albert, I just remembered them being expensive. I have found the WTB's to work well in sandy, loamy, rocky, rooted, hardpacked conditions that you can find in one 20 mile ride here in Tahoe, the sidewalls a very durable as well, I used to tear open sidealls on nevegals within the first 30 miles of the tire's life, I have never torn open a sidewall on a WTB tire. I've never ridden them in mud though, we dont get that very often out here.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
craigstr said:
I have never torn open a sidewall on a WTB tire. I've never ridden them in mud though, we dont get that very often out here.
IME, the same thing that makes them durable, makes them slippery. Too hard rubber.

The Motoraptor was plain scary up front and the mythic Velociraptor front simply came out average when wet.

On dry the Moto is just from average to scary and the Velociraptor is great.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Colorado tires

Whatever you do don't get the nobby nick (2.1). I live down in the springs and was not impressed by the tire at all. After 4 rides with poor traction (front range has loose over hard and lots of scree) I couldn't wait to get it off the back. Thankfully I ripped a sidewall so it has been retired. Went to a trusty Maxxis Advantage 2.1 and it's working out alot better (have the 2.4 on the front which is bombproof:thumbsup: ). My favorite front range tire for the rear had been the Mobster 2.1 in eXCeption, RIP.

Chris

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the response. Looks like I'm going to try the fat albert up front and the 2.25 reg albert in the rear, ordered up from Ventanarama. I'll switch back to something racier, if I get back into racing: with my current fitness, or lack thereof, coming back from surgery it looks like October and 24hrs of Moab being the earliest. Right now traction is the priority, speed second. I like the Maxxis as well, but I figured schwalbe has had such great reviews and I figure I'd give them a shot-- fun to try new brands. Maybe I'll look at a Larsen or racing ralph in the future.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm working the Conti Mountian King 2.4's Protection non-ust in on a tubless rim w/ stans. Gobs of traction, no flats this season at 27psi and very low rolling resistance. Nice tires. I ride the Wasatch, kinda similar to front range terrain.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Just to share some, I got the best result in the last 2 weeks
still with the 2.35 fat albert up front but a new 2.3 WTB Prowler XT (don't know how's the durability at this point). Loose gravel, roots and a little mud here and there. All with relatively higher pressure, ~33-35 psi (in the rear) from what I normally ride (~28-30 psi). Zero slips and spin outs. Can even stand and climb on sections where I will normally spin out with other tires.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Vespasianus said:
I ran a Vertical Pro (with tubes) on my 07 ML2 (as a rear tire). I switched to a 2.35 UST High-Roller and love it. There is a weight hit, but it I think it is worth it. The traction is much, much better. As is the cushion. I am running it with about 25-30 lbs of air and they really feel nice. In fact, I am going to race this weekend with this tire.

I have also though a lot about the Fat Albert. Thinking of getting it to replace the Nevegal 2.35 Stick-E in front (running with Stans).
I put a FA in front of my ML, after 2 rides my Nevegal went back. Tires are like clothes, part is how you like them. I felt that they packed mud a lot, so I didn't think they were a good tire for rainy season (which is now). But, a lot of people have prefered the FA over the Nevs..

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a big betty front (2.4) and a fat albert back ( 2.35) on an 08 Moto Lite Frame. Clearance side to side is ok, height clearance is close but have had no problems. As someone stated above, when riding with area that have small pebbles I get them flying up all over the place. This isn't an issue for me considering only about 5% of my regular trails are like this.

Overall I'm happy with this setup... despite the width of these tires, they roll and corner VERY well. I was going to only use these on more DH and lift assisted rides, but I've decided to keep them on since they seem to pedal and roll better than my narrower tires.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
tristan2ride said:
I have a big betty front (2.4) and a fat albert back ( 2.35) on an 08 Moto Lite Frame. Clearance side to side is ok, height clearance is close but have had no problems. As someone stated above, when riding with area that have small pebbles I get them flying up all over the place. This isn't an issue for me considering only about 5% of my regular trails are like this.

Overall I'm happy with this setup... despite the width of these tires, they roll and corner VERY well. I was going to only use these on more DH and lift assisted rides, but I've decided to keep them on since they seem to pedal and roll better than my narrower tires.
Pics, we need pics! Bike sounds great. I have not seen enough of the 08 bikes yet. I wonder how the bike tires look. Are you running them with tubes or tubeles. Also, what kind of pressure are you running and how much do you weigh?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.