Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No Reputation!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, now that you guys have graciously weighed your wheels for me (thanks again :) I need opinions on fast rolling mtb tires. Ok, let's not count the Nanoraptor because it's pretty hard to find now. I currently own the kenda tires front and rear, the bonty tire, the wtb mutano (haven't really ridden this one) and the IRC Mythos front. Or any tire that you can buy...I need speed on not very technical trails-a combo of pave, gravel, xc ski trails mostly (the chequamegon fat tire festival course...in case you've ridden it). It has some bumps and somewhat rocky patches that will be hit hard at speed so cross tires are out for me. It has some higher speed sweeper turns but mostly it's not very technical. The Kenda Kahn looks good but can I buy it in the US? And what about taking the belt sander to the Bonty tire? That would be a nice supple casing, grippy rubber, light weight, and good air volume. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Chequamegon tire

I would not consider anything other than the Nano. There are plenty of wire ones around, and some of them are lighter than the kevlar ones. I was in the top 50 at Cheq. last year, nano's all the way. You could go with a skinnier tire like mythos xc 42c or the like, but will not roll as fast in my opinion on the rough terrain. It will depend a lot on how wet the course is as well.
Jones and notos are slow tires, but may be good on the front if wet. The nano had pleny of grip, even on the firetower climb last year. I had no trouble riding where others were walking.
Good luck!

·
Registered
236 Posts
n8ofire said:
There are plenty of wire ones around, and some of them are lighter than the kevlar ones.
I have been calling everyone I could think of to buy a few more sets of wire nano's before they are all gone. Where is this plentiful bounty?

e

ps: I'll also be running nano's at the chequamegon. first time out.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The Conti Vapour rolls very well with little drag. In freewheel comparisons, my bike rolls a lot better than Raouls fitted with Bonty's, on DH tarmac, even with the same freewheel and hub.

P::..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Trevor! said:
I think you can get the Nokian NBX lite in 29" - And that is beleived to be one of the faster good gripping dry conditons tyres available.
I emailed Nokian about producing the NBX lite in a 29" version. They don't make them and don't plan on it anytime time soon.

Unfortunately we're not going to produce any 29" tires in the near
future.

Best regards,
Jorma Tikka
Nokian Tyres plc

·
Registered
392 Posts
Nanos

Hey, try Penn Cycle in MN. They have 6 stores, so just call one and see if they have inventory.

escamillo said:
I have been calling everyone I could think of to buy a few more sets of wire nano's before they are all gone. Where is this plentiful bounty?

e

ps: I'll also be running nano's at the chequamegon. first time out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts