Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike (Knolly Endorphin) has 35i 27.5 rims, I was originally running a 2.6 DHR rear and 2.6 DHF front. That combo provided tons of traction but was a bit draggy. I then switched to a 2.5 Aggressor in the rear, which I found to be dramatically faster rolling. I also felt the handling sharpen up - easier to change direction.

For the next set I'd like to try out an even faster rolling combo, but with i35 rims I'm limited to 2.5 (or 2.4WT at the very narrowest.) Any suggestions? Terrain is relatively moderate (NorCal) - hardpack, loose over hard, some loam.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
The latest 2.6 Mountain King is a fast roller, but it's also light at 820 something grams. Will that be durable enough for you? You're going to run into this problem selecting a tire with the qualities you specify.

The fastest tire compounds are Schwalbe, Vittoria g+, and Conti black chili.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Some of my more persistent PR's....ones I haven't been able to beat are on 27.5x2.6 Rocket Ron Addix tires, but they aren't super durable and are limited in traction. If you are looking for tires in XC type conditions, they would work with those caveats. On my 27.5, I have been using 27.5x2.6 Addix Nobby Nics for general trail conditions in the Wasatch, Utah, and like them quite a bit.

On my 29er, I actually thought the exact combo in the 29" version, 2.6" DHF front and 2.5" Aggressor rear was surprisingly fast grippy and durable, though.

I would like to try the 29x2.4 or so Mountain KIng, as that was on one of the 29ers I demo'd and liked them.

·
Registered
399 Posts
All this talk and no mention of the Maxxis Rekon as a rear? You could go for the 2.6 or the 2.4WT. Ardent Race 2.35 is also a good option from what I hear and I have had several customers order them. However, I have never tried the Ardent Race myself.

I live in Northern California and spend most of my time riding Auburn. I have only tried the Rekon 2.4WT on a demo Pivot 429 Trail but was impressed with it's rolling resistance (or lack of it) and cornering abilities. Doesn't hold a candle to a DHR II when it comes to braking traction in the loose but depends on what your priorities are.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Hans Dampf II 2.35 measures a true 2.42" and rolls really well. The 2.35 (also measures wide) Rock Razor rolls a step faster than the HD2. These are my 2 favorite rear tires.
My current favorite front is the Spesh Eliminator 2.6. 2nd favorite is the MSC Gripper 2.3.
Right now I'm on the Eliminator/ Rock Razor combo but once it cools off by 40 degrees I'll probably swap to the MSC/ HD2 combo again.
I enjoy trying lots of tires and of course I've went through tne entire Maxxis catalog. Maxxis builds great tires with a nearly ideal compromise in many ways (i.e. durability, weight, cost, traction, rolling resistance, wear) however when I had different priorities they fell to 2nd and 3rd favorites behind other choices. There are some pretty big differences in the way tires perform and there is performance to be found here.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
All this talk and no mention of the Maxxis Rekon as a rear? You could go for the 2.6 or the 2.4WT. Ardent Race 2.35 is also a good option from what I hear and I have had several customers order them. However, I have never tried the Ardent Race myself.

I live in Northern California and spend most of my time riding Auburn. I have only tried the Rekon 2.4WT on a demo Pivot 429 Trail but was impressed with it's rolling resistance (or lack of it) and cornering abilities. Doesn't hold a candle to a DHR II when it comes to braking traction in the loose but depends on what your priorities are.
Rekon is my favorite Maxxis tire. I run them f/r on my plus bike and when I get around to it, I might replace my DHR II on my new bike with a rear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.