Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The DHF 2.5 and DHRII 2.3 have become my gold standard ... tough - durable, ok pricing, good availability and great grip. Critically I hardly ever get flats and they last a long time. I actually swapped in a new Assegai for the front, basically the same deal. (newer trail casing, not DD )

I'm no endubro, but I ride lots and like to go fast and we have some fairly rough/sharp/rocky trails here and there in Utah. ( and a ton of smooth stuff ) I've torn my share of tires and that's how I've ended up on the Maxxis combo.

Anyway, my one desire would be to get a slightly faster rolling and/or lighter setup.

I know people talk aggressor for the rear, but it doesn't save much if any weight over a DHRII and not sure if the trade off with grip is worth it.

Any other recs? I'm not going to pay $75+ for a tire ( Bontrager, looking at you )

Quite possibly these are the best options for me, but wanted to see what people thought.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
Colorado guy here - similar terrain as SLC. I agreed - the DHR2 sucks the life out of me on longer climbs and I gave up on it a few years ago. It's just overkill for extended climbs and flats.

I've been really happy with the Bonty SE4 in the rear for the past year. Extremely tough casing, good side knobs, decently grippy for climbing and braking. Only downside for me is that it wears quickly.

This time of rear, when things have deteriorated to moondust I switch to an even faster rolling semislick rear, currently the Kenda Helldiver 2.4 AGC sidewall.

Up front, I'll stick with the Assegai which is outstanding in late summer loose conditions. At some point I'll try the new Maxxis dissector when DD or exo+ is available

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Really liking the performance of the Dissector in terms of DH grip, though limited trail time on it. I spent several days in the Whistler park with a Dissector DH casing and it was great, better cornering and braking than a DHR, rolled fast and wore better than DHR or High Roller. As mentioned I’d like it in an EXO+ or DD casing for trail use, though the Dissector 2.4 in DH casing was within 50g of an Aggressor 2.5 DD (I.e. both heavy AF).

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Something else to throw out there... Coming from Tahoe Loam and Northern NV High Desert. I have lots of friend that run Maxxis tires and could never understand why, always seemed "trendy" and overpriced. Which lead me to finding Vittoria tires.

Over the last 8yrs of riding I have strictly been on Vittorias because of their grip, price, and durability. Never run into any issue with flats, tearing knobs, nasty punctures, etc. and always have seemed to have great traction. With my new bike this year I received Maxxis tires and thought I would give them a shot (DHF/Aggressor) to see what the hype was all about. Literally destroyed them both within weeks of riding my normal trails. Luckily I had a backup Vittoria hanging that is serving as front duty right now (Goma 2.4 TNT) that has a couple seasons on it and has been thrashed like there is no tomorrow. Guess what, same lines, trails, etc. that I had been riding with the DHF that destroyed it, the Vittoria has shrugged it off.

Anyways, look at Vittoria tires. Something similar to your combo now would be the Goma Front and Martello rear or maybe a Barzo rear. The Goma is no longer showing on their website as it is going through a revision currently to add their new G2.0 and 4C compounds but they can be found on multiple sites still for sale.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Eastern PA checking in. Trails here can vary from hardpack, to loose and blown out, rocky with boulders, and mud... on the same trail! I have been quite impressed with Onza's Ibex and Vittoria's Morsa. Both share an alternating pattern similar to the DHRII, but the knobs are a bit smaller and faster rolling. Durability has been good, although I'm more of a surgical line chooser as opposed to grip it and rip it, so YMMV.

For what it's worth, the Ibex comes in 2.4 and blows up closer to 2.45 - 2.5 so it's definitely got some volume. Visibly a little more than the Morsa. Morsa is an honest 2.3 though.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I'll let you know my thoughts on the Dissector after this weekend. The Hans Dampf II is also a pretty good option. I have about 1000 miles on it as a front tire. It rolls quickly and has held up well. I'm still looking for just a bit more grip though. It could work well as a rear tire.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet. Awesome replies. (Actually found a huge Maxxis thread with lots of good input too )
Dissector seems like an option.
Bonty ... just can't get around the pricing. (although that stuff always changes so I'll watch out for SE4s )
I'll look into options from Vittoria - I don't care about trendy - like i said just had great luck with Maxxis for many years.
thanks again, looking forward to more Dissector reports- maybe in some other more dedicated thread about them.

This time of rear, when things have deteriorated to moondust I switch to an even faster rolling semislick rear, currently the Kenda Helldiver 2.4 AGC sidewall.
I find that interesting ... as things get blown out and deep dust, I usually look for more traction! Just last night I was surfing down a steep trail ( like fighting locking up both front and rear steep ) and was thinking that I could have used more traction...right before I lost the front end and crashed. lol.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Colorado guy here - similar terrain as SLC. I agreed - the DHR2 sucks the life out of me on longer climbs and I gave up on it a few years ago. It's just overkill for extended climbs and flats.

I've been really happy with the Bonty SE4 in the rear for the past year. Extremely tough casing, good side knobs, decently grippy for climbing and braking. Only downside for me is that it wears quickly.

Up front, I'll stick with the Assegai which is outstanding in late summer loose conditions. At some point I'll try the new Maxxis dissector when DD or exo+ is available
Another vote for the Bontrager SE4, agree on all pluses and minuses. Wear is especially a bummer here in Socal on all the rocks. I may try the new Kenda tires next.
What came to mind.

This is nothing against some Maxxis models I've really liked but a few seasons ago I realized the SE 3 and 4 had good durability and fast feel for the weight. I'd run 3 in back and 4 in front. I've ridden them all over the varying Midwest, CO front range, and Fruita.

They are more round so I would only do the 2.6 in a modern 30 mm sort of inner width rim. I ran XR and SE versions of same tread. SE models have mostly stopped some tears I've had with other tires yet they don't feel like a super heavy duty tire. The 3 and 4 are also less prone to packing up than Ardents I also like.

Being in Trek's back yard I saw the new model 3 prototypes and got a lot of comments. I'm looking forward to trying one of those in back.

Basically, I never used to have any respect for Trek's tires and ended up being surprisingly happy. The SE 4 are kind of like the proper evolution for someone who's had popular Kenda, Specialized, Bontrager and what I think are Frank Stacy design or inspired tires.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Virtually anything else is faster than a set of Minions. Looking at the weight of a tire really doesn't tell you anything useful. It's the tread pattern and compound that primarily contribute to rolling resistance, although stiffer casings roll slower, too. The Minion (front or rear) has a very soft compound and huge gaps between the tread blocks. Those are a recipe for a very slow tire.

I am running a WTB Vigilante in front and Trail Boss in the rear (2.6/2.4). They are a massive improvement over the Minions they replaced in virtually every circumstance. Minions might work great where there is dirt, but they slide all over in rock.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,605 Posts
I am running a WTB Vigilante in front and Trail Boss in the rear (2.6/2.4). They are a massive improvement over the Minions they replaced in virtually every circumstance. Minions might work great where there is dirt, but they slide all over in rock.
I'm using this combo on my hardtail right now (both 2.6) and I'm not a fan of the side knobs on the Trail Boss (2.6 side knobs are taller than the older/smaller versions). They like to fold in an aggressive lean or very off camber situations and I get a vague squirmy feeling from them. Love the Vigilante in everything except dust on dry hardpack clay (knobs too aggressive and widely spaced for true hardpack). Had some scary moments with it in Knoxville, TN a few weeks ago. But it's great for the hugely variable Pisgah conditions I deal with most frequently.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
Sweet. Awesome replies. (Actually found a huge Maxxis thread with lots of good input too )
Dissector seems like an option.
Bonty ... just can't get around the pricing. (although that stuff always changes so I'll watch out for SE4s )
I'll look into options from Vittoria - I don't care about trendy - like i said just had great luck with Maxxis for many years.
thanks again, looking forward to more Dissector reports- maybe in some other more dedicated thread about them.

I find that interesting ... as things get blown out and deep dust, I usually look for more traction! Just last night I was surfing down a steep trail ( like fighting locking up both front and rear steep ) and was thinking that I could have used more traction...right before I lost the front end and crashed. lol.
editing my reply for clarification.......

When conditions get really sandy & late summer "kitty litter over hardback", I'm willing to sacrifice the downhill braking for the decreased resistance over the long climbs and flats. Climbing 3-4' of this terrain really wears we out with the meatier tire.
Thus my preference for a low rolling resistance year. The front tire stays big & meaty - for years DHF, more recently Assegai.

The SE4 works well for me as a rear, but I don't always want to pay top dollar either. i bought three SE4 in May at the annual Trek sale when they discount everything, but otherwise finding discounts on Bonty tires is tough. I've gone through two of those, and will save the last for later fall when conditions again change a bit.

I've found the small block Kenda Helldiver and Specialized slaughter, as rear tires, to have a lot more traction than what one would expect from looking at them. Certainly, not as much as a DHR2, but not a ton less than the SE4 in the sandy or kitty litter. I wouldn't dream of using the small block tires in loam or mud though.

If I was only shuttling, I would use a meatier rear like a DHR2, but that's not my thing.

ps: on the other hand, I also have a Rekon 2.6 which is a low tread tire. I don't like this nearly as much as the Helldiver or the Slaughter. It rolls well enough, but the lower profile side knobs sketch me out under hard cornering.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I think the issue you're going to run into is that it's hard to get more traction and faster rolling. I haven't ridden anything that has better braking traction than a DHR2 but rolls faster. You can optimize your tire choice based on conditions and personal preference but that's about it.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
The 2.3 Morsa G+ is the fastest trail/enduro tire you can buy, has great tread life, and it does best on the rear. I run the Goma because there's more center rubber for the rocks. The new Conti Mountain King 2.3 is another fast roller and it's sub 900g.

For the front, just stick with the grippy ones from Maxxis, WTB, or Bonti. There's no point in giving up braking and cornering traction on the front for 10W of rolling resistance.

·
Bodhisattva
10,848 Posts
I liked the Morsa G+ too. Unfortunately, I had a bad experience, tore the sidewalk prematurely, and haven't revisited it. But i may try it again. from recollection, it's characteristics were similar to the Bonty SE4, but I've had 3 of the latter and the sidewalls have proven to be more durable for me than Maxxis exo, DD, or the morsa.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
I experiment a lot and have a Schwalbe Rock Razor on the rear and that's my new go to tire for hardpack and rocks. It's darn fast and still has solid traction.

Like most tires ime though it requires a noodle to not fold under hard turning.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Something else to throw out there... Coming from Tahoe Loam and Northern NV High Desert. I have lots of friend that run Maxxis tires and could never understand why, always seemed "trendy" and overpriced. Which lead me to finding Vittoria tires.

Over the last 8yrs of riding I have strictly been on Vittorias because of their grip, price, and durability. Never run into any issue with flats, tearing knobs, nasty punctures, etc. and always have seemed to have great traction. With my new bike this year I received Maxxis tires and thought I would give them a shot (DHF/Aggressor) to see what the hype was all about. Literally destroyed them both within weeks of riding my normal trails. Luckily I had a backup Vittoria hanging that is serving as front duty right now (Goma 2.4 TNT) that has a couple seasons on it and has been thrashed like there is no tomorrow. Guess what, same lines, trails, etc. that I had been riding with the DHF that destroyed it, the Vittoria has shrugged it off.

Anyways, look at Vittoria tires. Something similar to your combo now would be the Goma Front and Martello rear or maybe a Barzo rear. The Goma is no longer showing on their website as it is going through a revision currently to add their new G2.0 and 4C compounds but they can be found on multiple sites still for sale.
Vittoria doesn't really have a "trail" category yet. They have XC (still heavy for XC, but I really like the Barzo / Mezcal combo) and Enduro / DH. Maxxis tires in Exo are lighter which is really nice when you don't need a burly heavy tire.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thus my preference for a low rolling resistance year. The front tire stays big & meaty - for years DHF, more recently Assegai.
Ya, I just picked up an Assegai...heavy and slow as hell...but awesome grip. Hard to give it up now.

The SE4 works well for me as a rear, but I don't always want to pay top dollar either. i bought three SE4 in May at the annual Trek sale when they discount everything, but otherwise finding discounts on Bonty tires is tough. I've gone through two of those, and will save the last for later fall when conditions again change a bit.
Yeah...I'll have to watch for those sales. I'm very price adverse ( to a stupid point... )

If I was only shuttling, I would use a meatier rear like a DHR2, but that's not my thing.
Me neither. In fact 30+ mile pedal fests are the norm ... but I don't swap tires and I do travel into "extreme" terrain here and in the desert.

I think the issue you're going to run into is that it's hard to get more traction and faster rolling. I haven't ridden anything that has better braking traction than a DHR2 but rolls faster. You can optimize your tire choice based on conditions and personal preference but that's about it.
Right - one tire really can't do it all.

For the front, just stick with the grippy ones from Maxxis, WTB, or Bonti. There's no point in giving up braking and cornering traction on the front for 10W of rolling resistance.
that makes sense - and as above, I'll probably stick with that up front.

Thanks again to all for the great input.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Vittoria doesn't really have a "trail" category yet. They have XC (still heavy for XC, but I really like the Barzo / Mezcal combo) and Enduro / DH. Maxxis tires in Exo are lighter which is really nice when you don't need a burly heavy tire.
You are correct that they do not have a dedicated "trail" category of tires. Which is somewhat misplaced as the Martello and Barzo really cover that as they cover everything decently and seem to more excel at the mid-range stuff like loose over hard and loose, where you find that terrain for most "trail" routes (at least around here).

The caveat to that was the fact that that WAS the true stomping ground of the Goma. Which is why I am disappointed it is gone but can understand they are attempting to clear out inventory of the "older" version first. I follow Syd and Macky on YouTube, who are sponsored Vittoria riders (both enduro and XC), and notice quite often they run prototype tires. Recently I noticed in one of their videos that Macky was apparently running a more "trail/enduro" setup vs. Syd who was running the Barzo/Mezcal setup on her Portal (arguably more XC setup). I commented on the fact that Macky was running an "unmarked" tire that resembled the old Goma and was wondering if it was a newer version. They commented back "No Comment. :)" Wouldn't be the first time I have caught something like that. In one of their older videos (April timeframe this year) you can see them cut a section out when they talk about tires because "whoops can't talk about that one yet" when doing a bike check. Through some research from the great community here we came to the conclusion that the tire is a yet unrelease Vittora Agarro.

Hopefully at next years Sea Otter, Vittoria will release a couple new "trail" oriented tires to close that small-ish gap in their lineup.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.