Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm wrapping up the rebuild on my old Fisher X-Caliber and trying to pick out some tires. I'm planning to mostly use it for hardpack - rail trails, fire and logging roads. I'm trying to go as light as possible and I'd like something with low rolling resistance but good acceleration and decent handling for dry hardpack. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Not mentioned a whole lot, but I had a set of Stans Raven 29 x 2.2" tires one summer that were super fast rolling, and yet despite how they appear actually provided exceptional traction in all but steep descent braking on the rear tire. I've also been quite fond of the Continental Race King 2.2" tires for light and fast but still providing good traction.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Geax AKA 2.2 roll fast and provide great traction, predictable in corners. Tread wear has been better than I expected for this type of tire. I've got the non tubeless version setup tubeless.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Not mentioned a whole lot, but I had a set of Stans Raven 29 x 2.2" tires one summer that were super fast rolling, and yet despite how they appear actually provided exceptional traction in all but steep descent braking on the rear tire. I've also been quite fond of the Continental Race King 2.2" tires for light and fast but still providing good traction.
+1 on the Conti Race Kings. Fast and surprisingly good traction. Will be experimenting with Schwalbe's Thunder Burts over the next few weeks. They look promising in terms of a fast rolling tire that should perform well on hard pack.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Specialized S-Works Renegade is the tire for you. You can get them in 1.8, 1.95, and 2.3. Fast rollers and light weight for sure!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
The first and still an excellent tyre for what you describe, WTB NANO, will also last you a long time.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
First I'm hearing of that tyre, does look very fast and it has the one thing the Nano lacks, so decent side knobs, which should provide the cornering traction in looser stuff the Nano didn't do so well in.
Schwalbe Thunder Burt is wicked light and grippier than my nanos. Longevity TBD...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Love the rolling of the Racing Ralphs but they wear out so dang fast (similar to every Schwalbe tire I've ever used). On Panaracer Driver Pro right now - similar weight to RaRa Snakeskin, rolls as fast, much more durable, cheaper than Ralphs.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
Love the rolling of the Racing Ralphs but they wear out so dang fast (similar to every Schwalbe tire I've ever used). On Panaracer Driver Pro right now - similar weight to RaRa Snakeskin, rolls as fast, much more durable, cheaper than Ralphs.

I agree, the Driver is an excellent tire...way exceeded my expections, even on the singlespeed.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow - thank you all for all the excellent suggestions! I'll definitely read up on each of these. I also don't mind going with different front/rears, and some of what I've read indicates it's best to go that way doing XC.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Geax AKA 2.2 roll fast and provide great traction, predictable in corners. Tread wear has been better than I expected for this type of tire. I've got the non tubeless version setup tubeless.
I second this, the cheap non tubeless is great tubeless. My toddler set the bead for me with a floor pump on Stan's.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
Ok, just re-read the types of trails you say you will be riding.

"hardpack - rail trails, fire and logging roads" these types of trails tend to eat up small knobby tires. Tires like the AKA, Driver, Aspen, etc. wear out quickly....especially on the back wheel.

Tires like, the Nano, Nine Line, Geax Saguaro, Race King, Ikon roll pretty fast, but will also last longer.

I burned up a AKA in about 4 weeks on So. Cal. hardpack fireroads....Saguaros has lasted lots of miles.

Just something to consider.

·
Registered
973 Posts
ditto...

The first and still an excellent tyre for what you describe, WTB NANO, will also last you a long time.
the NANO is still one of the best, but a bit scary on a wet trail...although that wasn't part of your criteria :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
The Kenda Karma is very similar to the Stans Raven. Very fast rolling, yet surprisingly good traction for how short the knobs are. They are not super light, but the DTC version is fairly durable and in spite of Kenda not being supportive of running them tubeless, they worked great tubeless on my Stans Flow rims.

The Maxxis Crossmark is OK and rolls well, but gets a LOT better (in the corners) if you cut off all the little round side knobs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My toddler set the bead for me with a floor pump on Stan's.
I wouldn't say mine were that easy the first time, I had to use a compressor to set the bead. I had a wheel warranty part way through the season last year, putting the tire back on the replacement wheel was easy, and I did it in a snap with my floor pump.

I burned up a AKA in about 4 weeks on So. Cal. hardpack fireroads....Saguaros has lasted lots of miles.
I didn't see nearly that rapid of wear. I took my rear AKA a through whole season of SS. Twice a week I ride from my house in the morning, there's 2 miles and 600' vert to the trailhead. Another 2-3 times per week were singletrack only rides. By the end of the season the center knobs were gone, it still has the side knobs. I'm actually still running it to catch some mixed road and doubletrack miles until the other 95% of our trails thaw. I'll be replacing it with another AKA.

The front still has a bunch of tread left.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts