Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've got a new Specialized Epic Disc 2006. It came with the standard Fast Trak Pro 2.0 tires on Mavic 317 disc rims. I've purchased the Stan's No Tubes conversion kit, but I'm not having any luck getting the tires to air up.

Has anyone succeeded with this tire+rim combination?

The tire seems way too loose on the rim to ever fit tight enough to succeed. :madman:

·
Mud Boy
315 Posts
rim yes, tire no...

Mavic x317's and Roll X pro's.

Give Stan's a call, they are extremely helpfull. Every tire/rim combo is different.

Is it inflating at all? My roll-X's always inflate with my floor pump. My buddies Bontranger wheel/tire set needed my compressor to inflate. Don't forget lots of soap suds.

Give Stan a call.

And remember, it's a PITA the first time.

Good Luck

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
magdaddy said:
Mavic x317's and Roll X pro's.
Is it inflating at all? My roll-X's always inflate with my floor pump. My buddies Bontranger wheel/tire set needed my compressor to inflate. Don't forget lots of soap suds.
No, its not inflating at all, that's the step I'm stuck on. I've put lots of soap suds on the tire and myself. I think this is the first time I've ever worked on my bike and come out cleaner than when I started :)

I'm using a floor pump to try to inflate it, do you think the compressor makes a big difference?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
jeriCurl said:
No, its not inflating at all, that's the step I'm stuck on. I've put lots of soap suds on the tire and myself. I think this is the first time I've ever worked on my bike and come out cleaner than when I started :)

I'm using a floor pump to try to inflate it, do you think the compressor makes a big difference?
yes a huge difference.

also you can try putting a few layers of tape under the rim strips

·
Mud Boy
315 Posts
ditto on the compressor

be careful how many tape wraps you put under the rim strip. Make darn sure the rimstrip is under the bead of the rim, especially at the valve stem area. The tire needs to lock under the rim bead, or it won't seat properly.

It'll hold air, but vibrate your hands right off the bars. After it seals up, check visually to ensure it's seated. My buddies Bontranger tires had to have huge amouns of psi added before they POPPED into the beads.

Good luck

·
c'est la vie
187 Posts
Got it to work on mine but...

I have the same set up but required a compressor and removal of the valve core (this allows more air in quicker) to get it to work. This is assuming you are using a lot of suds and have the rim strip in correctly which was not too easy on the 317s. Once the tyre airs up then you can put in the sealant and then the valve core. Note, make sure the valve core is screwed in tight other wise it may unscrew with the Presta-to-Schrader adaptor later on when you are checking the air pressure (as I found out the hard way!).

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts