Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am currently on the market for a fun 29er trail bike.
I test rode the following:
- Spec Stump Jumper Comp (Not the EVO, 130 mm fork)
- Ibis Ripley (with 120mm fork)
- Niner Jet 9 Rdo (with 120mm fork)
- Niner Rip 9 Rdo (with 140mm fork).

By far the most fun bike was the Stumpy with the Ripley being close 2nd (Ripley felt faster but as confidence inspiring).

Most of the tracks I ride is flowly singletrack that can be ridden on a 29er hardtail (I already own one of those and do that occasionaly), I want the speed of a hardtail on the climbs and pedally sections but I want something that I can bomb on the descents and a bike that is poppy that can be jumped easily, manualled easily etc. The first 2 bikes definetely fit the bill.

I plan to test ride Transition Bandit 29er with 120mm fork as I hear they are fun.
I feel that the Stumpy is abit too much of a bike for me, as I already have an All Mountain bike at home (Transition Covert). Ideally I would get the Ripley but the price on those is ridiculous. Stumpy is way more value for money..

The niners are waaay too expensive and really don't have the value for money I'm looking for (also not that fun either).

Do you have any suggestions of other bikes to try? Something with good value for money, I was also thinking Spec Camber Evo (Take the Comp and upgrade the fork to Pike), but they don't have them anywhere for testing yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
If your trails are flowly single track and you want a FS just because, I'd look at 100mm rear with 100-120 front.
Take a look at the Devinci Atlas, 110mm rear travel, shortest chains out there.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi
I am currently on the market for a fun 29er trail bike.
I test rode the following:
- Spec Stump Jumper Comp (Not the EVO, 130 mm fork)
- Ibis Ripley (with 120mm fork)
- Niner Jet 9 Rdo (with 120mm fork)
- Niner Rip 9 Rdo (with 140mm fork).

By far the most fun bike was the Stumpy with the Ripley being close 2nd (Ripley felt faster but as confidence inspiring).

Most of the tracks I ride is flowly singletrack that can be ridden on a 29er hardtail (I already own one of those and do that occasionaly), I want the speed of a hardtail on the climbs and pedally sections but I want something that I can bomb on the descents and a bike that is poppy that can be jumped easily, manualled easily etc. The first 2 bikes definetely fit the bill.

I plan to test ride Transition Bandit 29er with 120mm fork as I hear they are fun.
I feel that the Stumpy is abit too much of a bike for me, as I already have an All Mountain bike at home (Transition Covert). Ideally I would get the Ripley but the price on those is ridiculous. Stumpy is way more value for money..

The niners are waaay too expensive and really don't have the value for money I'm looking for (also not that fun either).

Do you have any suggestions of other bikes to try? Something with good value for money, I was also thinking Spec Camber Evo (Take the Comp and upgrade the fork to Pike), but they don't have them anywhere for testing yet.

Thanks!

Santa Cruz Tallboy (100mm)
Giant Anthem with 120 fork
Giant Trance 29er (120mm)
Salsa Spearfish
Specialized Camber

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
+1 on the Atlas C (98% gonna be my next bike). Lifetime warranty and decent value IMO. Plays well with a longer travel fork like a Pike. Very playful bike, with a lot of pop. Had a blast on my demo. The short CS make all the difference to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts