Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be on the wrong board for this, but I want something that is really fast. Most of the time on the technical downhills on the trails I ride if I'm behind someone they're going to slow. Right now I am running Hutchinson Python Airlights and I really like their speed, but I would like something with a little more cornering ability. Is there a such a tire? Or tires? The trails I ride on are very technical and at times very fast, a lot of hardpack, roots and rocks. I only like to ride dry so wet traction is not a priority, weight wise I'm around 155.

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Nn

I'd say, keep the Python on the back and throw a Nobby Nic up front. It rolls fast and is my favorite tire in the corners on dry stuff.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Nokian NBX lite

By far my favorite tire for racing. Its the fastest rolling tire I have ridden and grip is awsome. The tire grips cornors so well its is hard to believe they are 500 gram xc racing tires. Hands down the best tire for hardpack conditions I have ever tried.
Now for the downsides. Durability. Its a 500 gram racing tire. as such they have very thin sidewalls, and are prone to sidewall tears when used tubeless. I don't really even use tubes, but people have told me that they are more prone to punctures then the average tire which would make sense becuase they are thin. I have used both the 2.0 and the 2.2, and prefer the 2.2 in the front for the little extra grip in the turns. At least worth a try.

·
Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
2,419 Posts
i like the wtb exiwolf but i dont know if its fast enough for you. I run 1.95's front and rear but i used to run 2.1 in the front. i didnt think the 2.1 helped much which is why i switched back. I did notice a slight loss in cornering grip in loose stuff but it it turns "faster" and seems to roll faster as well. I've been racing these tires all year and so far so good except their short tread life. I just ordered a set of Kenda Small Block 8's in a 1.95 and i will let you know how they are. they look REALLY fast.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I use Specialized S Works fast tracks in 2.0. Roll fast, not too heavy, corner fantastic. I use the UST version.

Downside is that they are pricey but worth every penny to me.

I've also got a buddy who loves hutchenson spider air lights.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check out Intense System 2's. Just as fast as Pythons, but with much better cornering grip due to more pronounced side lugs. I've had my eye on Maxxis Crossmarks - looks like there getting good reviews for fast rolling with good cornering.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
I just went out on my first ride with the WTB Mutano-Raptor 2.4's. They are the lightest of the line, even though they are the biggest and they roll wayyyyyy faster than my 2.1 Blue Groove/Nevegal. They cornered just as well if not a bit better in my opinion. They are a little skinny in the sidewall though, so you have to be careful not to abuse them. I literally was able to go up a chainring when climbing some of the fireroads in my area, they are that big of an improvement.

·
formerly Giantxc
649 Posts
Some of my favorites:

NBX Lite 2.2 - Awesome on the front. If Nokian knew how to make a light weight UST it would be on the front of all my bikes.
Python UST Lite. Fast, but I find that it tends to puncture in the rear. Nonetheless, I'm tempting the fates with it up front with good luck so far.
Crossmark. I've only been using it for a couple of weeks and in the rear only, but so far it seems very versital and had no problems handling Michaux's rocks.
The old Michelin Comp S UST. The new ones are too narrow.
The WTB Exiwolf also looks great, but alas, no UST version.

·
Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
2,419 Posts
MrXC said:
Some of my favorites:

NBX Lite 2.2 - Awesome on the front. If Nokian knew how to make a light weight UST it would be on the front of all my bikes.
Python UST Lite. Fast, but I find that it tends to puncture in the rear. Nonetheless, I'm tempting the fates with it up front with good luck so far.
Crossmark. I've only been using it for a couple of weeks and in the rear only, but so far it seems very versital and had no problems handling Michaux's rocks.
The old Michelin Comp S UST. The new ones are too narrow.
The WTB Exiwolf also looks great, but alas, no UST version.
are you sure they dont have a ust version of the exiwolf? i could have sworn someone i know was using them specifically because it was the only one he could find for his 29er.

BTW, i threw on some maxxis larsen mimo 2.0's that i had kicking around the garage yesterday. They didnt climb worth a **** but they stopped and cornered very well. They hooked up much better in the corners than my exiwolfs. I think possibly reversing the rear tire would help it climb but i dont know how it would effect the semi fast rolling resistance.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've ordered the Maxxis Crossmark

Thanks to all. I went the cheaper route and just ordered a Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 for the front. Right now I'm going to keep the pythons for the rear, but if the Crossmark seems fast then I might consider running one front and rear. If the Crossmark doesn't give more cornering traction and good speed then I'll try one of the others. Thanks again.

·
Registered
204 Posts
IRC Serac XC in 2.1, about 485 g according to my scale. Running about 35 psi front and rear. Vast cornering improvement over the stock Specialized Adrenalin Pros (especially in loose gravel) with lower rolling resistance. "Northeast conditions" (rocks and roots).

Tried XC lites in 1.95 but they are really skinny more like 1.75, trails around here are too rough for them, they seemed to sink in too much and were skitterish in rocky stuff.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Destroy said:
Any reason no one runs Conti Explorer Supersonic 2.1s?
Good front tire.

Some feel Contis don't get along with Stans. Personally, I've had zero probs after running Twister SSs and Explorers with Stans off and on, since early 03.

Low volumn so it takes more psi then the typical 2.0 race tire. Also less compliance, which is a biggie why don't like'm in the back(if I go that small vol, then why not go all the way with the Twisters?).

I recently swapped my Explorer up front back to a Racing Ralph 2.1 for this time of year, being mostly hot dry hardpack(I currently run Karma 2.0s in the back mostly). It doesn't work as well on loose over hardpack, but it flys everywhere else. I like the Explorer in the Spring when theres more of a chance for mixed conditions at a race.

I think theres alot faster tires out there now tho..

I also use the Maxxis Ignitor for front duty on 2 other wheelsets. Faster and more volumn then the Explorer. Also clears out somewhat quicker after going thru some mud. But alas, the 2.1 runs 510-530gms, compared to the 440-470gm Explorer SS..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.