Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Stiff yet compliant
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a Continental Mountain King 2.2s on my EMD9. They are good, grippy tires but have boatloads of rolling resistance.

I am looking for a faster-rolling tire that corners well (this is important!), for use on dry hardpack with a loose top layer. Mostly XC-type trails, no big drops or jumps. A few roots, some small rocks embedded in the trail, some gravel.... mostly as described: hardpack with a thin upper layer of dirt.

I am 180lb, and will be running tubes with this setup. Am leaning towards the Racing Ralph 2.4s. Any other suggestions?

V.

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
DEFINATELY go for the RR. Consider the 2.25 as well, depending on what rim you are using. I use RR's in those exact conditions you describe they are ideal.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Using the Specalized Captains (Control version) here in Colorado where it is pretty loose. They do quite well and roll fast in loose conditions. I have used the RRs but only in th 26" version- fast but not exactly my choice for loose conditions. The 29" version will be better, I'm sure. I like the Ardent tread but the Ardent and RR do not have TLR or UST beads so I have not used them....yet.

·
Curmudgeon
341 Posts
I'm very impressed with the combination of the NanoRaptor on back and Weirwolf up front. I've been riding it for about 3 months now. I especially like this combination tubeless.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have been running the RR 2.25 for about 6 months now. I love this tire in most conditions. They are not great in damp or wet conditions, but what tire is! They corner like a full aggresive knob tire and peddle like air. I have been wondering about the Continental race king lately.

Brian

·
Registered
686 Posts
RR rolls very well. I recently switched from Mounting King 2.4 to RR 2.25 and the increase in speed is just amazing. Of course, this is not without drawbacks. RR grips poorly when it is wet and the sidewalls are weak. Hopefully the SnakeSkin version becomes available in Europe soon.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Specialized

I have been using Specialized Fast Trax tires and love them. Decent light, great grip, low rolling resistance and have not had any durability issues. This thread reminded me about the RR and I just looked on my shelf and realized I have a pair of the RR waiting to be used :) Back in my old 26" days.... the RR was my all time favorite tire.

www.MLKimages.com

·
Stiff yet compliant
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet! Thank you, beautiful people - I am going to order a pair of RR 2.4s and also check out the Maxxis Ardents.

V.

·
turtles make me hot
11,549 Posts
I recently switched from Specialized Captains to Maxxis Ardents. It was like flipping a switch on my bike. I guess I really needed the increased volume. They grip great and they feel faster.

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,359 Posts
yeaitsdave said:
Ardent front, Crossmark rear. suuuuuper fast rolling and great grip. Definitely my favorite combination
That's my go-to combo for racing when I know I'll need a bit more up front, otherwise it's crossmark f+r.

·
Stiff yet compliant
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll check that out as well. 6thElement - how do you rate the difference in rides between the Ardents and the Crossmarks?

V.

·
Registered
638 Posts
anybody running the 2.4 RR on a mavic tn-719 or similarly narrow rim? i ordered the 2.4 since 2.2 was out of stock without really thinking about it... any hope? heh.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
vkalia said:
I'll check that out as well. 6thElement - how do you rate the difference in rides between the Ardents and the Crossmarks?

V.
The Ardent has more volume than the Crossmark but both roll very well. The Ardent rolls deceptively fast.

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
mtroy said:
If you like your Mtn Kings, check out the 2.2 Race Kings. They are all you are looking for and more.
How wide is the 2.2? Conti's are bad about undersizing their tires, is it a true 2.2? I've got a pair on the way and was just curious.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts