Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of buying a new hardtail that will see double duty as a trail bike and also a commuter. I hate swapping tires, so I am looking to get a set of tires that have a fast rolling low profile tread that won't be boat anchors on the road and can also work ok on the trail. Most of the trails around here are fairly rocky, some loose sand and some hardpack. Currently I'm looking at the Kenda Small Block 8 or the Maxxis Crossmark. Any opinions on either of these tires? Any other tires that might fit the bill?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am curious for opinions on this as well. I just got a new hardtail for the same purpose, daily commute with some light gravel plus trails on weekends etc. Being fairly new to the hardtail scene its difficult to sort through the multitude of options.

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Geax Lobo Loco's may work or something along the lines of an IRC Kujo. The Geax will wear quicker but it has a round profile for street riding. The Kujo is heavy as hell but would do decent on street or trail and they wear like iron

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
The CrossMark works great. Very fast and silent on smooth trails and pavement yet has surprisingly good grip when the trails are bit more nasty and it corners well too. When going straight on road, it's almost like a slick...

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
pixelninja said:
I'm in the process of buying a new hardtail that will see double duty as a trail bike and also a commuter. I hate swapping tires, so I am looking to get a set of tires that have a fast rolling low profile tread that won't be boat anchors on the road and can also work ok on the trail. Most of the trails around here are fairly rocky, some loose sand and some hardpack. Currently I'm looking at the Kenda Small Block 8 or the Maxxis Crossmark. Any opinions on either of these tires? Any other tires that might fit the bill?

Conti Twister SSs. 370 grams. Microknobs in the middle but bigger edge knobs to turn in loose stuff.

I picked up 2-3 mph and at least one gear over Conti Explorer SSs, and they turn ok.

I am guessing they will not wear all that well.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BadHabit said:
Conti Twister SSs. 370 grams. Microknobs in the middle but bigger edge knobs to turn in loose stuff.

I picked up 2-3 mph and at least one gear over Conti Explorer SSs, and they turn ok.

I am guessing they will not wear all that well.
Nice. Although the super light weight kind of scares me. These tires need to be somewhat durable.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BadHabit said:
I am not many miles into them, all Illinois MUTs.
MUTs?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NormanPCN said:
Kenda Small Block 8.
Specialized Fast Trak.
Any idea which one you think is faster rolling?

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
+2 on the Crossmark recommendation. I've used both the SB8 and Crossmark, both have their places where they excel. For road riding though, the Crossmark rolls well and has more loose terrain bite than an SB8 so that's what I'd recommend.

·
Registered
489 Posts
pixelninja said:
Crossmarks are awesome. I needed a tire for the same reason and these are perfect. They are very fast on the road.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'd have 2 wheelsets for the 2 different purposes.

But barring that, I like my Conti Leaders. They are a lighter weight racing tire, but that's what I do. Their tread pattern is very fast and looks to be suitable for pavement. Nothing grips well in loose sand, everything grips rocks (ie. friction with rubber, not tread). and they are ideal on hard-pack. Terrible for mud though.

I have no experience with the Smallblock8, so I'm not necessarily saying the Contis are better.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the good feedback, guys. I went ahead and told my LBS to get the Crossmarks.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Continental Traffix

1 - 20 of 37 Posts