Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the race king out back, but up front it washes out on loose over hard to easily. I also tried the 2.4 mountain king and found that they were to slow had to much squirm on hard pack. I saw that continental is coming out with a mix between the two, the X-King, but there is no release date. What other tires can I try that roll well, but have a little more grip on loose over hard than the race kings.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I like the 2.4 Ra Ra as well. Another tire worth considering is the 2.3 Hutchinson Piranha. It may be heavier than what you want at 620g but you can probably pick one up for twenty bucks at pricepoint...

·
Super Moderator
6,803 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you`ll try to find something similar to Race King with bit better grip and MK 2.4 are too slow for you, I´ll recommend to try Maxxis Crossmark 2.25 (or Ardent, which is bit grippier and bit slower, or Aspen, which I´ve not yet tried but it seems to be quite fast...)'

There are quite a lot recommendations in this thread - I´ve tried Wild`nRace, Python, Weirwolf LT and RQ`s and they are nice tyres but only Python and Wild`nRace rolls like Race King, others are far more slower ... WW and RQ are far more gripper, but more heavier and rolls worse. Have seen a lot of RR`s, but never really used it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the same experience with the RK in loose conditions, or loose mud. In all other conditions they worked well for me. Recently switched to 2.25 Rocket Rons and they are much more stable in loose and other conditions. They weigh 510 grams and roll well.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Trust me - give the cobra a try.

Very fast rolling but more predictable than the RK (especially in corners) which makes it an ideal rear tire.
Does pretty well in loose (deeper tread than rk) but still struggles with the wet.

Well worth a try imho.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
blantonator said:
what do you guys think about the 2.25 Rocket Rons? I'm leaning towards these, with my race king in the rear.
Since you've used MK 2.4's before I'd go for a 2.4.Much better match. Would be a similar volume to your Race king.RoRo 2.25 are just average in size and volume. Skinny compared to a RK. A step backwards from that great cushy volume. Once you've used a lightweight 2.4 tire on the front you will never want to go back to anything smaller.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.