Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new hardtail this year. I like long climbs and endurance rides (Jay Challenge/VT 50 etc). I enjoy technical singletrack. I'm looking for something light and responsive. Have ridden a Cannondale F1000 for years and have loved it but, I would like to upgrade. I'm 5'7 and 140 lb. Suggestions? Thinking about the Cannondale Taurine, Scott Scale Ltd, Specialized S-works carbon, Trek Elite 9.9 etc. What do you think I should look at? Preferences?
Thanks-Mike

·
Registered
739 Posts
Becane73 said:
I hear the Scott Scale Carbon is a fast ride.

Check this thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=257129&highlight=scott+scale

oh and just in save some people touble, I'll say it first: Get an Ibex :rolleyes:
HAHAH

Ibex makes a sweet ride at a great price.

If you are looking at spending 4k on a bike then I'd have to agree with Becane in the
Scott Scale Carbon I've read many good things about it ...Heard great things about the other bike too .... pretty all those bikes are gonna be full XTR with a SID shock.

Another bike I'd highly recommed is the GIANT XTC , I bet they are close to 20# stock ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Giant, best brand for the money.

You just cant go past a giant for quality and value for money.

Giant is a renowned brand that over the past few decades has introduced some revolutionary technology from their tcr geometry to maestro suspension designs. While U.S and European companies make their cheaper bikes in china or Malaysia Giant is a Taiwanese company who make all their bikes in one of their factories in Taiwan, even the top Tour de France race bikes. :thumbsup:

Now the giant xtc 2 is simply the best bike you can buy for the money. I looked around for months comparing price and spec and the giant was the hand down winner. For similar money you will get something with similar spec but a cheap and sloppy frame i.e. mongoose. :nono:

If you are looking for a quality bike that wont break the bank, which is suitable for recreational trail riding and even racing than look no further that the giant xtc 2. I myself have not had a chance to ride mine yet as I purchased it a week before I broke my collarbone :madman: though expect a full review within a few months. :)

though if you have a few k to spend it would be a good idea to look at the giant xtc 1 or c0 alloy and carbon fibre hardtails which will still offer you a luxury ride at a dramastically lower price than other brands.

http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/

hope this has been helpful,

max.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Salsa Mamacita. Not sure when available yet but that is the hardtail I'd pick for this type of riding.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
MrKalentine said:
I'm not sure but he must like Giant a lot considering he even resurrected this post.

I was going to say the same thing but I didn't want to stoop down to his level of RE-reviving this post.;)
This one isn't bad he dug 1 up that was somwhere around 1.5 months old. Dont quote me because im to lazy to look, but it was bad. He is very predictable at least. :thumbsup:

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
ferday said:
LOL dogonfr....talk about the pot calling the kettle black, mister Versus...;)
:nono::nono: How often do you read the same post written over again. I do support the ones that have been good to me but i at least have a response for each reply. Im not perfect & i dont want to be either. :D:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
this is easy

The lightest fastest hardtail you can buy under $3000 is the Motobecane Fly Team

New model will be posted in a few days

20.5 lbs
sub 3 lb kinesis frame
SID
Carbon Juicy brakes
Custom XRP handbuilt wheels
XTR frt, rr, shifters
Ritchey WCS bar/stem/post
FSA Carbon crank
$1495

no hardtail is as light or fast at anywhere close to this price

booking starts around Jan 25th
shipping March 1st

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I'd say if you want to build up your own HT that you will own for a long time and want the very best quality, look at the Ventana hardtails. Sherwood has been building these for a long time in the Ventana factory in California. The construction and quality are simply amazing. As far as frames go, I have not seen one that I like better. I like Ti frames too but they are expensive and some are too flexy. Good Ti frames are amazing though- the best feel ever.

You can buy the frame and spec it however you want. I'd probably build a HT to around 23-24 lbs but I'd also be using 550-700 gram tubeless tires, tubeless rims, and prob some heavier parts.

I know I didn't comment on any of the ones you mention but I'm not a big fan of any of them. The S-Works sounds interesting enough to be the one I'd look at out of the ones you mentioned though. A carbon HT SHOULD be pretty stiff and light yet absorb a lot of the harshness and vibration normally associated with Aluminum HTs. That will help you not get fatigued as fast and keep you in better shape for the next ride. That's also why I like Ti for HTs.

·
Registered
739 Posts
bikesdirect said:
We just got the link up on the Fly 9357
which is 21 lbs
still has SID and Carbon Juicy brakes - XTR/LX mix - 2.7 lb frame

no hardtail is this much fun to ride at $1195

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fly_9357_07preorderwhite.htm
ok, I have a question for you ....

I know you are a big time distributor of Motobecane. Now, I am sure you have some type of business relationship, so I have a question for you/them.

Why does Moto never update their website to reflect current models. For example, I have this bike, http://www.motobecane.com/MBUSAflp05.html, but the pilot sl is no longer made, I think that it has morphed into the tora ... I also think they got rid of their X4B series. Yet they are still posting it online.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the Fly series all have the same frames, and I think 2.7lbs is a bit under the actual weight ... I think weightweines has the weight as 3.1 lbs or so.

Now the bike you posted looks really nice... I am sure those Vuelta XRP Team SuperLite Disc Wheels are much strong than the old Alex XT16, those become untrue way to easily.

Is moto planning to do anything to the Fly Pro.

oh, and when are they gonna get away from the rapidrise shifter?

Do they plan to lengthen the top tube length any time soon? My 20" moto is the ~ the same length as my 18" IBEX ASTA. I remembering riding the 18" and feeling really cramped.

and I could not find any info on the wheels set. Can you tell us how much they weight, it that with tire?

http://www.vueltausa.com/products/mtn-wheelsets/index.htm does not seem to have this wheelset listed

Lastly, what is the price going to be after pre-order?
" Get your preorder in now to lock in the ridiculously low price of $1195
- the price will go up when they are in-stock!"

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
txjohng said:
ok, I have a question for you ....

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the Fly series all have the same frames, and I think 2.7lbs is a bit under the actual weight ... I think weightweines has the weight as 3.1 lbs or so.

Now the bike you posted looks really nice... I am sure those Vuelta XRP Team SuperLite Disc Wheels are much strong than the old Alex XT16, those become untrue way to easily.

Is moto planning to do anything to the Fly Pro.

oh, and when are they gonna get away from the rapidrise shifter?

Do they plan to lengthen the top tube length any time soon? My 20" moto is the ~ the same length as my 18" IBEX ASTA. I remembering riding the 18" and feeling really cramped.

and I could not find any info on the wheels set. Can you tell us how much they weight, it that with tire?

http://www.vueltausa.com/products/mtn-wheelsets/index.htm does not seem to have this wheelset listed

Lastly, what is the price going to be after pre-order?
" Get your preorder in now to lock in the ridiculously low price of $1195
- the price will go up when they are in-stock!"[/QUOTE

Hi

I will try to answer as many of these as I can

Motobecane site updates happen all the time; but the new FLY samples we just got in are before the site update

The FLY frame is 2.7 lbs in a 16" - buy our scale

The FLY PRO sample just arrived - weighed the bike myself - 21.5 lbs
We will sell that for $895 with Avid v-brake
OR $995 with Juicy Five [in which case you get v-brakes also]

Shifters are now all normal - no rapid rise

All Fly models now have: SID, Vuelta custom precision bearing wheels, and 2.7lb frame
New PRO is full matt black and locks great

TEAM is my favorite - Matt Silver with XTR, SID, Carbon Crank, Carbon Juicy
20.5 lbs and $1494

Bottom line is: for super fast light weight XC bikes; the FLY series is really fantastic
even at list price; magazines think these bikes rock
at our prices they are insane deals
We have tons of Pro-Am typr XC and adventure racers using FLYs and they perform great

After Pre-order we may increase price or stay about the same; depends on how soon we can get more. Wheels and Frames on these are hand-made; so lead time is longer than normal bikes

mike

·
Registered
739 Posts
bikesdirect said:
txjohng said:
o
The FLY PRO sample just arrived - weighed the bike myself - 21.5 lbs
We will sell that for $895 with Avid v-brake
OR $995 with Juicy Five [in which case you get v-brakes also]

All Fly models now have: SID, Vuelta custom precision bearing wheels, and 2.7lb frame
New PRO is full matt black and locks great
Pictures of the PRO??? with vbrakes and without? Does Disk brake version comes with what wheels?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
2007 Fly Pro

txjohng said:
bikesdirect said:
Pictures of the PRO??? with vbrakes and without? Does Disk brake version comes with what wheels?
The 2007 FLY PRO will coime with v-brakes [avid] out of the box for $895
If a customer wants Avid Juicy 5 disc for $100 more; we will mail those

Bike comes with Disc ready XRP handbuilt wheels; PRO SL model - which is new and has fantastic hubs and rims. These wheels are stressed and re-trued 3 times during building. A set of wheels easily worth $500

FLY PRO is matt black with matt black Sid. Silver decals with small red trim.

I just weighed one with v-brakes -- 21.5 lbs -- rather light for a hardtail under $1000

New link should be up Monday on this bike; delivery will be March 1st; we are taking pre-orders starting Monday

thanks

mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.