Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to move to either place, and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts of the local mountain bike trails, length of season, overall experience in either place and would be willing to share.
cheers

·
CoolArrow
2,473 Posts
Try posting up in the Regional New Mexico forum. Farmington is not the prettiest place you'll ever live, but there are lots of epic riding opportunities in a 4 hour radius (including Moab - which might be close to 5 hours). You can ride pretty much year-round, but winter riding is somewhat limited to high desert singletrack stuff...

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
This ought to be an interesting thread. I'll echo what JHazard said. Farmington is very industrial with the nearby oil and gas industry and is right on the edge of Navajo Nation. Not that either is a bad thing but it has a certain flavor. On the other hand, Twin Falls is a major agricultural center and has it's own "cultural flavor". I live in Flagstaff and have family in Burley so I sort of know the areas well.

Farmington has the nearby Aztec trail which is pretty much rideable year round. Not too far to the south is the High Desert Trail system in Gallup which also offers year round riding, unless it's snowed recently down to 5000 or 6000'. As Hazard mentioned you are 4 hours from Moab and perhaps 5 to Sedona. And you are only an hour or two from some of the best riding in the west in Durango.

Twin Falls doesn't have much riding nearby either but Southern Hills has a great trail network to the south (25 min drive?). Near Auger Falls and only 15 min or so off I84 is a good place to ride for a couple hours with some loop options. Not sure what else is nearby except the Snake River, shield volcanos and wheat and barley fields. But Boise isn't too far and two hours to the north is some of the best riding on the planet in Sun Valley and Stanley.

·
Rocks belong
5,292 Posts
The best part of Farmington: Durango is only 45-60 min away

Many people live north in CO and commute down everyday. Everything north of FMN is great. Darn near God's Country. Durango (1 hr). Silverton (2 hr). Telluride & Ouray (<3 hr). GJ/Fruita (4-5 hr). Moab (5 hr).

I've ridden around FMN several times on work trips. I used to travel there every 4-6 weeks for work. In fact, I have to be there in 3 weeks.

I do not care for FMN itself. I am staying in Durango for this work trip and commuting down each morning.

·
Banned
266 Posts
Have a sister, nephews and a neice in TF. All have gotten into trouble several times with the law. Its a beautiful area, but not much to do. Small, ski resort. Snake river if you enjoy fishing. All my family has gotten into a lot of trouble with meth and DUIs. Think the only reason they still live there is they own a Frank Louyd Wright house, with 5 acres right on the Snake River that's paid for (divorce).

Only passed through there once. Stopping briefly to visit. Nevada, its neighboring state is the arm pit of the west. You have to drive a decent amount of time to get to the White Mtns I think???? in the central part of the state. Reno and Tahoe is a decent haul. Not sure how far it is to Boise and Northern part of the state.

Durango still has a special place in my heart when it comes to mtn biking and outdoors in general. Did a lot of riding in that area back in the late 90's, early 2000's. It was amazing. I'm sure things have changed considerable since then, but if I had a job offer there. Would have to strongly consider it.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Funny, I'd classify both places as being pretty similar (I have a brother in Albuquerque and family in Portland, so I drive thru both places from time to time, as they are on my route from SLC). Neither are very pretty or nice towns, but both are just a couple hours away from amazing mountains and geography.

I would probably pick Farmington, particularly for mountain biking. So. Colorado is an amazing place, you're close to Moab, you have good year-round options.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts