Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Trek and they said to contact Raceface, but they haven’t replied to any emails...

I have a 2016 Farley 5 and want to convert to singlespeed (actually, Dos Eno). I’m mainly concerned about the front part of the conversion because I’m not familiar with a 2x (I haven’t owned one in many years).
Is there a shorter spindle I can buy?
I’m assuming 170mm, but can’t find any parts. Is there a different brand that would work (other than Raceface)? I have read that some used the chainring from their 2x in a SS conversion, but I’m not loving the big q-factor which is why I’m looking for a shorter spindle. Or, is it easier to buy a 1x crankset?

·
Community Manager at Trek
579 Posts
Or, is it easier to buy a 1x crankset?
Buying a new crankset would be the easiest for sure. Remove the old, slide in the new. Raceface makes a Turbine crankset for fat bikes which I really like.

Otherwise, you can install the Raceface Affect or go for a better upgrade with a Next carbon crankset from them.

As for spindle length, you do need 170mm even with 1x.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spoke to a couple of people today and it seems that my cranks don't have a replaceable spindle, but they are already 170mm, so I'll stick with them (I thought they were 190). I'll just remove the smaller chainring and replace the larger one with a narrow-wide.
Also, Dos Eno won't work on my hubs- I just learned it's for threaded hubs. Oh well, I'll just go singlespeed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.