Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fargo Ti build questions

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  kevrider 
#1 ·
I am building up a Fargo Ti (waiting on a few more parts to come in). I have a few questions concerning the build. A.) Do I need any Ti prep for the frame? I have heard that aluminum and titanium "cold weld" together. Is this true? Would any aluminum part that contacts the frame fuse together permanently? B.) Pretty sure I know the answer but can bb7 mtn brakes be modified for apex brifters? I'm thinking not but am interested to know if anyone has done it. I have built a few bikes before but I realize there is still a learning curve. Any one built up a Fargo ti I'm open to advice/opinions.

#2 ·
Just a bit of grease or anti-seize on the aluminum/Ti interface will prevent any problems with the Aluminum oxidizing. Good idea to do this with any parts except carbon [Edit] with about anything - always use assembly paste to grip. The Ti will not corrode or oxidize in the environments you will survive!

BB7 Mtn brakes have a different pull than the road versions. If you are spending the money building a Ti Fargo, get the right calipers and you'll be way happier with them than any type of jury-rigging you might do to try to make the wrong calipers work with road levers. That is going to be a nice ride.

#6 ·
I bought the fargo ti to be a one bike to rule all bike. I have become a multiple bike owner and wanted a bike that would last a lifetime. I hope that maybe I can sell/donate my other bikes to people would need them or don't have the means to buy a bicycle. I got a good deal on the frame as well and I think its the last of the US made ti frames. I'm running compact road gearing with a sram apex 50/34 crank. I figure a 34 will probably handle most of the singletrack around here (I used to ride a SS monocog that was a 34x19 without any problems). Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.