Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody familiar with rear racks that will work with the Fargo with the alternator dropouts other than the salsa racks? Bike will be mostly a commuter and $120 for a basic rack seems steep!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I recently bought the Tubus Cosmo: tubus - Cosmo

Very nice quality rack and works with the alternator dropouts!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, but it's costs more than salsa's rack. I'll probably night the bullet and go with salsa.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for that, but it's costs more than salsa's rack. I'll probably night the bullet and go with salsa.

Ah sorry, here in Europe the Tubus racks are much cheaper than the Salsa.

·
Ambassador of Chub
2,827 Posts
I have a Blackburn 'Central' rack that I have run on my Fargo for a few trips. Works just fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Blackburn 'Central' rack that I have run on my Fargo for a few trips. Works just fine.
Thanks Smithhammer. How did you mount the lowers? Salsa hardware to the upper alternator mount or with a longer QR skewer?

·
Ambassador of Chub
2,827 Posts
Thanks Smithhammer. How did you mount the lowers? Salsa hardware to the upper alternator mount or with a longer QR skewer?

I actually just used the included clamps, straight to the chainstays just ahead of the dropouts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's the Blackburn Central rack mounted to mine. the tabs for the "disk" mounts don't fit exactly flush into the alternator indent. there is about a 1/4" gap on both sides. but works just fine with longer bolts. Other than visually pushing the rack out a bit causing the panniers to not sit on a level surface. everything works just fine.
IMG_3788.jpg IMG_3789.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the Blackburn Central rack mounted to mine. the tabs for the "disk" mounts don't fit exactly flush into the alternator indent. there is about a 1/4" gap on both sides. but works just fine with longer bolts. Other than visually pushing the rack out a bit causing the panniers to not sit on a level surface. everything works just fine.
View attachment 1085740 View attachment 1085741
GPcruiser, did the blackburn come with longer mounting bolts? I'm assuming so.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes. As I remember it came very well supplied with various bolt sizes and even the hose type rubber coated clamps. For half the price of the Salsa rack i think it is a great deal. Or you could always get the mounting kit for the Alternator rack that comes with bolts and spacers and mount just about any rack.

·
Jon BALER
196 Posts
The lower mounting bolt on the Salsa Alternator racks is 1 size larger than typical rack mounting bolts. For those who used a standard rack, did you have to enlarge the hole in your rack?

·
Jon BALER
196 Posts
Does anyone know if the Alternator Low Deck Rack will fit on a Fargo?
It will depend on what size tires. It should fit with road tires, but maybe not with mountain bike tires.

This link has the dimensions at the end of the document
http://salsacycles.com/files/tech/12834_SAL_Alt_Rack_INST_F.pdf

Here is a photo of my alternator rack with 50mm fenders and 40 mm tires. Lots of clearance left
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jon_baler/28673224495/in/datetaken-public/

·
Registered
146 Posts
Has anyone tried a Topeak Disc rear rack with the Fargo's Alternator dropouts? I would be using the rack with the Topeak baby seat, so it needs to install as designed--I don't want to jerry-rig it.

Assuming I can bolt it on properly, I would want it to clear a 29x2.0 tire (which, sadly, my Cross-Check will not do as the tire rubs the rack hardware).

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pr...s/790-babyseat--ii-&-babyseat--ii-rack-(disc)

·
Registered
12 Posts
likeybikey, did you try this rack? And if so, were there any issues? I'm thinking of putting it on an XS Fargo that I switch wheels between 29x2.1 and 27.5x3.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts