Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this was addressed in the 1000+ post thread, but it seems like folks want new Fargo questions in separate threads, so here it goes.

I recently built up a 2010 Fargo with Avid BB7 brakes and I cannot get the rotor to stop rubbing whenever I'm out of the saddle and pedaling. I took it to a mechanic and was told it's the fork flexing and that I should just "learn to live with it."

Not really a great answer.

I haven't heard of other people complaining about this so it leads me to believe it must be solvable. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've backed the brake pads out as far as I'm comfortable doing so, and the rotor still makes a very loud contact noise with the pads whenever I'm out of the seat and straining on a climb or trying to sprint.

My Fargo build for those curious

Thanks for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I can't think of a good reason for this, assuming the the brakes are properly adjusted, i.e not too tight around the rotor. I have the BB5 Road on my bike with a 185 mm rotor up front and have not had any problems of this kind. From your description is sounds like something flexing, though. I don't think it is the fork flexing, but what about the QR levers? Some are less stiff than others and might possibly contribute to some flexing.

·
Freelance Whatever
211 Posts
I had to take my Fargo in because no matter how quiet I had the front brake, when I tightened the caliper bolts down, there was either brake rub or a clicking/rubbing noise. Ended up being that the mount needed to be "cold forged" about 1-2mm outboard as the beveled washers were the clicking (rubbing on the rotor). Figured I'd take it into the pros, so if something happened, they could fix it or re-order the part I needed. I thought I had read something about this in the Fargo forum, but couldn't find it. Search Fail. Hahaha!! But a little bending and all is well now!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chowdownca,

Thanks for the reply. And here I thought I was crazy for thinking it was the beveled washers rubbing. That's EXACTLY what the noise sounds like .... as if its the washers clicking on the rotor, not a brake rub per se.

When you say "cold forged" and "bending" -- was a LBS able to do this for you, or did you have to send it back to Salsa?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Problem solved. I took off the wheel and the brake and very carefully bent the mounting bracket outward about 1-2mm. Put it back on, re-centered up the pads, and took it out for a spin. No brake rub while cruising, and no rotor/washer rub when out of the saddle sprinting.

Now I can finally get to enjoying this bike! :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.