Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
partsman
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went whale watching on sunday, this was the first time that humpback whales were seen this year. they breached and spy hopped and fin slaped for us for over 30min. the captian of the boat we were on said he had never seen that display for that long in over 20yrs of doing this tour. great day

Attachments

·
Pirate!!!
1,449 Posts
It's always cool to see the whales.. If you were out here Sunday then you passed me at some point. I'm holding station on the orange and white Pilot Boat. I took these pics a couple weeks ago.

·
partsman
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i remember the pilot boat. i always look at ships the while on the water. you never know what you will see out there. seeing whales is is a thrill no matter what kind they are.

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,453 Posts
Looking like another good year for whale watching. Last few have been great. If anyone hasn't been on the whale watch tours to the Farallones - definitely worth the trip. For shorter (and less rough trips), do a half day out of Moss Landing or Monterey.

Right now could be very interesting. The female grays with calves are still migrating north. That brings the orcas down (particularly to Monterey bay) as they want to pick off a baby gray whale or two. And now the humpbacks showing up. I've got to get out soon.

Picture from a whale watch kayak trip I did last fall off of Moss Landing:
1234712_10151631833748247_1979080141_n.jpg

Had the sea lions blowing bubbles under us, and at one point a pair of humpbacks circled around to follow us 9as we were circling around to make sure we weren't in their path) and check us out.

...I'm holding station on the orange and white Pilot Boat.
Captain Cobb - love to sit down with you over a beer and talk about the Pilot boat stuff. Seen the boats, seen pilot transfers from time to time in the bay, have talked to various pilots when I am working marine events that may conflict with the ship's route, etc. Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
We went on a whale watching trip to Baja a few weeks ago. Very special place and a special experience. There aren't many places where you can touch the baleen and the tongue of a whale....

·
YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
2,956 Posts
We went on a whale watching trip to Baja a few weeks ago. Very special place and a special experience. There aren't many places where you can touch the baleen and the tongue of a whale....

All I can say is WOW!! :eekster: :eekster: :eekster:
Great shots C5!! :thumbsup :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts