Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
what a coincidence

My fiance' and I were just down in Tuscon a couple weeks ago to visit her dad. We picked up Cosmic Ray's mtb guide at a shop in Flagstaff and then rode a couple days in Sedona (what a drag, the last time we were there was 8 yrs ago and you were allowed to camp at soooo many spots. Now you're confined to just a couple IF there's vacancy - oh well the riding was great). Anyway, we read about Fantasy Island in the guide and decided to check it out. What a blast! I loved all the trailside displays like the dollbaby in the swingset and the cowbell above that one downhill section. You definately want to stay on the trail though, some of them cacti look gnarly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think Fantasy Island used to be a landfill. They made of all of those sculptures from the trash found there. I thought they were really cool too. The big ass cows kinda freaked me out at first. I thought they were going to charge.

Did you check out the 50 year trail in Tucson? Some locals showed us an alternate section of trail there that was a lot of fun. I took some video maybe I will edit it and post it later. Where all did you ride in Sedona?

·
Administrator
10,331 Posts
Kudos to the builders…

The builder of fantasy Island should be acknowledged. Chuck Boyer and Craig Randall "aka the bike monk" were the working force behind Fantasy Island. Build many years ago by them and the loyal Lone Cactus Group, the bike path has actually saved the land from development by the unscrupulous Developer Don Diamond, scrape, build, and turn. He turns desert into rows upon rows of identical brown town urban sprawl. The presence of fantasy island and the multitudes of users as well as the grass roots local movement to save our darling Island in the city has transitioned the land to a reserved space, some of the southern land will still be developed but the main trails are in a space hopefully soon to be designate a city park area.

The land was once divided into a landfill and the State Trust Grazing Land, this explains the large open area that is fill with new garbage cans waiting to be delivered as well as the cattle. You go around the landfill on both the dead cow loop and bo's loop.

Eventually the land fill will be converted to a public park with acess to the loops through the perimeter of the park. A victory for all I think especially the developments that are beginning to border the Island.

For all those that have ridden and built out there the F.I. is the place where all our dreams come true.

david

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
jamesjbigler said:
I think Fantasy Island used to be a landfill. They made of all of those sculptures from the trash found there. I thought they were really cool too. The big ass cows kinda freaked me out at first. I thought they were going to charge.

Did you check out the 50 year trail in Tucson? Some locals showed us an alternate section of trail there that was a lot of fun. I took some video maybe I will edit it and post it later. Where all did you ride in Sedona?

No, we only had time for one real ride in Tuscon so we didn't check out the 50 Year Trail. In Sedon we did a figure-8 by linking the Bell Rock Trail & Llama trail (I think that's the name of the 1-track section) with the Cathedral Rock trail loop passing by Buddha Beach. We also rode Dead Man's Pass on the morning before heading south to Tuscon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts