Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but am stunned to see no threads about this gem north of Ottawa. Its about an hour from downtown on a great little ski hill called Mont St. Marie. About 1500ft of vertical so its great in the winter (best in the region) but there is a group of active trail builders creating a phenomenal network of trails. I've ridden them the last 2 weekends (cottage close-by) and can't say enough good things.

So far they are being funded by various groups with the ultimate goal of about 75km of trail. Check them out and LIKE them (VeloMSM) on Facebook!

https://plus.google.com/photos/103299307168823499090/albums?banner=pwa&sort=7

Trails | Velo MSM

BKa96iSCIAACdN8.jpg

P1080275.jpg

Attachments

·
rwmtb
49 Posts
Hey thanks for the info! I skied Mont St. Marie years ago, great to see them branch out to Mountain Biking. I will add it to my list of destinations:thumbsup:

·
9 lives
15,830 Posts
Cool flowy looking trails! Singlesprocket and I would like to swing by there on our way to Mont Ste Anne later in the summer.

Could you recommend a place to stay over/BB?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool flowy looking trails! Singlesprocket and I would like to swing by there on our way to Mont Ste Anne later in the summer.

Could you recommend a place to stay over/BB?
The stuff they built on the lower end of the mountain is flowy fast and very FUN, but the trails higher up are technical with some stuff that gets pretty hairy.

As for accomodation, I beleive you can stay at the hill. There's some information on the website at velomsm.com, or, google Lac St. Marie. I know there are some places to stay in town, which will be 5 minutes from the trailhead.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Rode there late last summer and had a blast. Already a great spot to head out for a ride, but if/when they get up to 75 km, it will be a nice destination for those a bit further away.

Nice mixture of trails as well. Stuff around the lake (as mentioned) was super fast and flowy and great for a post ride swim with the nice beach! The trail that descends (got to by spinning up an access road) was much different. Rocky, rooty and much more technical, but all easily doable.

·
9 lives
15,830 Posts
The stuff they built on the lower end of the mountain is flowy fast and very FUN, but the trails higher up are technical with some stuff that gets pretty hairy.

As for accomodation, I beleive you can stay at the hill. There's some information on the website at velomsm.com, or, google Lac St. Marie. I know there are some places to stay in town, which will be 5 minutes from the trailhead.
Thanks nth, for the info. Singleprocket and I ride DH every fall at Mont Ste Anne. This year we are also considering bring our AM bikes in addition to the downhill bikes. Mont Ste Marie looks like a good place to explore.

·
trail gnome
689 Posts
We try to make it to MSM a couple of times a year. The loop around the lake is fun. Fast and flowy; lots of climbing and descending; switchbacks; some exposure; great viewpoints. Take a fire road (Radar) road to the top to do Pilsner; a peak-to-peak trail; more technical; steep climbs and descents, then take Lager down; more steep; even more technical. There are great views from the top and on the way down.

An XC bike is good for a loop around the lake. I use an XC bike for Lager and Pilsner as well, although an AM bike would be more fun for those two trails.

It's beautiful in the fall and they run the chairlift Thanksgiving weekend.

We stayed at Mario's condo last time we went. Info is on the Velo MSM website. Mario rides and does trail work at MSM. Tell him about the trail work you do -- he might give you a good deal. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey Guys! Thanks for posting the info about Mountain Fest! It's a big time fundraiser for the trails at Mont Ste Marie, with all profits going straight back into building more trails.

Word is slowly trickling out about it, and registrations are picking up.

In co-operation with the local Trips For Kids chapter recently added 2 kids races, in keeping with the family friendly nature of the festival.

Our industry expo is picking up. We already had Rocky Mountain and Xprezo confirmed with demos.

Now we have about 6-7 local shops who will be on hand, some with demos for more brands.

We should have the initial schedule of events out in the next week, with confirmation of the local shops.

The early bird pricing of the festival continues for one more month until April 30th, at which point the festival pass goes from $65 to $95.

If you have questions feel free to drop me a line!

MountainFestPoster_Web1.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone in Eastern Ontario or West Quebec that wants to hit great trails needs to check this place. Best in the region by far!

·
Custom User Title
241 Posts
can anyone recommend a route to best link together the available trails and utilize the 'flow'... and include any must-see features? Very much looking forward to an Aug. 02 visit. Thanks

·
trail gnome
689 Posts
Best to ask on the Velo MSM or OMBA Facebook groups, if you have a Facebook account. Not a lot of people posting on here lately, unfortunately :(

Velo MSM has some suggested loops on their website, ordered from least to most difficult. If you are seeking intermediate trail riding with some good flow, some tech, and scenery, then I suggest the Lake loop.

If you have energy to spare and are ready to try something harder, then the Growler loop. That will take you up the wooden bridge switchbacks that appear in the Mountain Fest ads, to a gazebo with nice panoramic views and deck chairs. From there, if you still have energy, you can tack on additional climbing (and then descending), or just head straight down Growler.

·
Custom User Title
241 Posts
Best to ask on the Velo MSM or OMBA Facebook groups, if you have a Facebook account. Not a lot of people posting on here lately, unfortunately :(

Velo MSM has some suggested loops on their website, ordered from least to most difficult. If you are seeking intermediate trail riding with some good flow, some tech, and scenery, then I suggest the Lake loop.

If you have energy to spare and are ready to try something harder, then the Growler loop. That will take you up the wooden bridge switchbacks that appear in the Mountain Fest ads, to a gazebo with nice panoramic views and deck chairs. From there, if you still have energy, you can tack on additional climbing (and then descending), or just head straight down Growler.
awesome, thank you very much. and I had been on the Velo MSM website but hadn't come across the suggested routes page. thanks again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Visited MSM a few weeks ago, what a blast! Trailforks works well too!
Someone quoted that the switchback climb: Taylors Tower of Power was the best climbing trail - ever! Well I thought BS but after riding it I AGREE!!

Take your time and enjoy! Must do trails are Lug-tread and Growler.

Depending on your skill, the very top "Family Jewel" is good too. The extra climb up Stout then road to at least "Pilsner" is worth it but DON'T do all of Pilsner, cut off and hit Stout to Porter to Lug-tread to Growler, continue down Cookies climb then on to Slingshot to go around the lake.

As stated before, just TTP to Growler is a must do!

Have fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts