Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I've found myself in a position to choose from the below listed bikes (insurance payout), and now I have the complex task of actually deciding which one to get!! I basically like doing XC riding and want something that'll handle mostly single-track / trails and anything I throw at it - but must be light and go uphill and downhill well. The finalists are :

1) Cannondale Scalpel 900 2006 Bike - £1799
2) GT I-Drive 4 1.0 2006 Bike - £1900 *
3) Kona Dawg Primo 2006 Bike - £ 1900
4) Scott Genius MC 40 2006 Bike - £1799
5) Specialized Epic FSR Comp 2006 Bike - £1899 *
6) Trek Remedy 6 2006 Bike - £1899 *
7) Trek Fuel EX8 2006 Bike - £1799

I'm edging towards the GT iDrive or the Specialized Epic FSR. Trek Remedy looks good too .. but this will be my first full-suspension bike, so need some advise! I want something that I can do a full days riding on - from single track to dirt roads - no big drops or mad downhilling - 100mm travel on front is fine. Basically ride in the the traditional sense of cross-country ... half going up - half going down - really solid trail riding.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Bruce
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,029 Posts
brucito said:
Hi

I've found myself in a position to choose from the below listed bikes (insurance payout), and now I have the complex task of actually deciding which one to get!! I basically like doing XC riding and want something that'll handle mostly single-track / trails and anything I throw at it - but must be light and go uphill and downhill well. The finalists are :

1) Cannondale Scalpel 900 2006 Bike - £1799
2) GT I-Drive 4 1.0 2006 Bike - £1900 *
3) Kona Dawg Primo 2006 Bike - £ 1900
4) Scott Genius MC 40 2006 Bike - £1799
5) Specialized Epic FSR Comp 2006 Bike - £1899 *
6) Trek Remedy 6 2006 Bike - £1899 *
7) Trek Fuel EX8 2006 Bike - £1799

I'm edging towards the GT iDrive or the Specialized Epic FSR. Trek Remedy looks good too .. but this will be my first full-suspension bike, so need some advise!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Bruce
It sounds like the bike you're describing could be pretty close to a racer. If that's the case the Fuel, the Epic, and the Scalpel are proven racing designs.

The GT, Kona, and Remedy all have a bit more travel. Not quite as racy of a feel, but not a problem if that's what you want.

Don't know much about the Scott, being a 'Merican and all.

Best way to tell is to test ride 'em, it'll tell ya if the travel is appropriate or too much, if the bike fits, etc, etc, ad infinitum, ad nauseam.

JmZ
 

· Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
I'm looking at buying a Specialized XC bike because the Horst suspension is so well proven. Also, looking at the ratings, they are very popular and all the models have great ratings. Plus, looking at ebay, they have great resale value.

At the local Performance Store the manager tried to steer me towards the GT. I wasn't interested because the rear suspensions looked so weird. Later he admitted that they can't hardly sell the GT's.

The epic is a really nice bike, especially with the 06 adjustable brain. But unless you are planning on doing some road riding or racing with it you might like the stumpjumper better. More travel, a bit more relaxed riding position, a bit more forgiving handling, and you get a bit more components for the same price.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
I like the Kona Primo from that list. You get a great parts spec for the money and a solid ride that with no real compromises imo. The Dawg has enough travel for technical riding but is still light enough to be a good climber. This bike covers all the bases imo.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
All depends on what you're going to do with it...

The Dawg Primo is probably the best Do-it-ALL bike of the bunch is is nicely spec'd. Not a XC racer or a downhiller but a nice blend you can have fun on and will perform well in all conditions. You have to decide what type of riding you want to do though. For instance the scalpel is a more XC racer and it wouldn't be good for pointing downhill and hammering over obstacles. What is your style and that will help narrow down the choices.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
As like me you appear to be UK based (quoting £££££)then I'd be inclined to go for the Scott MC40,it has rave reveiws over here, but really you should test all these before you buy,preferably on the trails you intend to use.
check around you can pickup MC30's for £1699
also you would be advised to checkout the Marin range as they are designed with UK conditions in mind.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
love the GT

Cannondale seems too short on travel for you.
Kona seems a little heavy for all day, but nice parts spec.
EX8 is nice but I'd give the nod to the fox over the Reba.
The Remedy seems overkill for your riding.
Specialized would be my second choice.
don't know much about Scott.
I have had a few I-drives and recently bought the 2006 i-drive 4. It is a do-it-all frame. I am actually building it up to be a sub25 pound race bike for next season.

I've found myself in a position to choose from the below listed bikes (insurance payout), and now I have the complex task of actually deciding which one to get!! I basically like doing XC riding and want something that'll handle mostly single-track / trails and anything I throw at it - but must be light and go uphill and downhill well. The finalists are :

1) Cannondale Scalpel 900 2006 Bike - £1799
2) GT I-Drive 4 1.0 2006 Bike - £1900 *
3) Kona Dawg Primo 2006 Bike - £ 1900
4) Scott Genius MC 40 2006 Bike - £1799
5) Specialized Epic FSR Comp 2006 Bike - £1899 *
6) Trek Remedy 6 2006 Bike - £1899 *
7) Trek Fuel EX8 2006 Bike - £1799

I'm edging towards the GT iDrive or the Specialized Epic FSR. Trek Remedy looks good too .. but this will be my first full-suspension bike, so need some advise! I want something that I can do a full days riding on - from single track to dirt roads - no big drops or mad downhilling - 100mm travel on front is fine. Basically ride in the the traditional sense of cross-country ... half going up - half going down - really solid trail riding.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Bruce[/QUOTE]
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lovemonkey said:
We'll need more info on houw you want to ride. Just plunking around on trails, racing, little drops, big drops, etc.
Thanks for the reponses (everyone!). Basically I want to do everything with this bike! I'm not going to race with it, but just want something to handle everything - an all round, cross country bike - basically a hardtail with suspension at the back (if that makes sense). 100mm of travel is more than sufficient.

Thanks again! Bruce
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,474 Posts
Dawg Primo is meant for all day xc riding.

brucito said:
Thanks for the reponses (everyone!). Basically I want to do everything with this bike! I'm not going to race with it, but just want something to handle everything - an all round, cross country bike - basically a hardtail with suspension at the back (if that makes sense). 100mm of travel is more than sufficient.

Thanks again! Bruce
I will give the Kona Dawg Primo a second nod here because you want a do everything bike. You could do everthing with any bike, but a xc oriented bike like the Scalpel or Epic will not be as comfortable over longer epic rides, especially once the terrain gets technical. These bikes are designed more for xc racing than all day xc riding. The Dawg gets 5" of travel which is nice for all day riding because the suspension helps smooth things out and lessens fatigue. You won't get puckered up on aggressive lines when the bike is pointed downhill either.

Someone mentioned that the Dawg might be too heavy for all day riding. Dont worry, the Dawg is designed for all day riding and the weight is sub 30lbs. Pretty damn light for a 5" travel bike in my books.

Good luck in your search.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New bikes narrowed down...

Thanks for the advice. After having checked things out, I'm arrowing things down to ...

GT iDrive 4 1.0 - All XT components, and is about 25pounds.

Scott RC 30 - I definitely don't want more than 4"travel - I just think it's too much for what I want

Santa Cruz Superlight - only discovered i was able to get this one too - such good reviews, although spec'd quite low due to cost ...

Such a good difficult decision to make! Thanks again (everyone).

Bruce

-dude- said:
Cannondale seems too short on travel for you.
Kona seems a little heavy for all day, but nice parts spec.
EX8 is nice but I'd give the nod to the fox over the Reba.
The Remedy seems overkill for your riding.
Specialized would be my second choice.
don't know much about Scott.
I have had a few I-drives and recently bought the 2006 i-drive 4. It is a do-it-all frame. I am actually building it up to be a sub25 pound race bike for next season.

I've found myself in a position to choose from the below listed bikes (insurance payout), and now I have the complex task of actually deciding which one to get!! I basically like doing XC riding and want something that'll handle mostly single-track / trails and anything I throw at it - but must be light and go uphill and downhill well. The finalists are :

1) Cannondale Scalpel 900 2006 Bike - £1799
2) GT I-Drive 4 1.0 2006 Bike - £1900 *
3) Kona Dawg Primo 2006 Bike - £ 1900
4) Scott Genius MC 40 2006 Bike - £1799
5) Specialized Epic FSR Comp 2006 Bike - £1899 *
6) Trek Remedy 6 2006 Bike - £1899 *
7) Trek Fuel EX8 2006 Bike - £1799

I'm edging towards the GT iDrive or the Specialized Epic FSR. Trek Remedy looks good too .. but this will be my first full-suspension bike, so need some advise! I want something that I can do a full days riding on - from single track to dirt roads - no big drops or mad downhilling - 100mm travel on front is fine. Basically ride in the the traditional sense of cross-country ... half going up - half going down - really solid trail riding.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Bruce
[/QUOTE]
 

· enlightened.
Joined
·
1,493 Posts
Cannondale Scalpel- If you plan on leaving the ground at all, the lefty pulls to the left a little (imagine that). The rear travel isn't a lot for really technical trails, but it can take the edge off. It is great for FL riding, but I rode this bike in North CA and I was pining for more give. A problem with the Santa Cruz is the lack of a lifetime warranty on the frame. I would go with a Specialized, I currently have a hardtail stumpy and I am very happy with it (but I am getting a full-suspension rig as I am moving west). The Stumpy FSR has pro-pedal in the rear so that could answer your "basically a hardtail with suspension at the back" quest, as it takes care of the bob. I don't really know a lot about the Epic as it is out of my price range, but I'd look into the Stumpy FSR. Good luck.
 

· Portland, OR
Joined
·
3,100 Posts
see if you can try out one of these. I got to ride one a while back, best feeling XC bike i've ever ridden. but if not one of these, get the kona. ohh yea, these go for like 1300 pounds though.
 

Attachments

· Bike to the Bone...
Joined
·
8,281 Posts
brucito said:
Thanks for the advice. After having checked things out, I'm arrowing things down to ...

GT iDrive 4 1.0 - All XT components, and is about 25pounds.

Scott RC 30 - I definitely don't want more than 4"travel - I just think it's too much for what I want

Santa Cruz Superlight - only discovered i was able to get this one too - such good reviews, although spec'd quite low due to cost ...

Such a good difficult decision to make! Thanks again (everyone).

Bruce
[/QUOTE]

I haven't ridden any of those bikes, but I think you should see how they fit you. From what I've read, the Scott Genius is a pretty versatile bike. A friend has one and likes it very much.

On the Santa Cruz, it's a good company, but I don't know if the Heckler would be a better choice than the Super Light. It depends on how tought you want to go, I think. If you could look at the Blur (but I think it would be more expensive) that would be my first choice, even if you get lower specs for the price. Just make sure that the wheelset and fork are OK, the rest you can upgrade later.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top