Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes it was another beautiful day in Sedona and that translates to a good day for riding.

While watching anther thread on MTBR a famous Prescott rider indicated that he possibly wanted to do a ride in Sedona. Because of his interest I thought why not see if he would want to ride with an old dude and go out and look for some wet spots.

To be honest with you I thought he would turn me down and I didn't want to go into the New Year being depressed so I didn't throw out the bait. Instead I went to bed early with a good book and stayed up until 2 AM reading.

Well, about 8 AM I got call from another viewer indicating yes this famous Prescott rider was actually coming over for a visit and possible ride. He asked me if I wanted to join the ride and I said sounds good to me.

As it turned out we met at the High School at 10 AM and went for a ride. Conditions were excellent and it took us about 45 minutes to find some wet spots. I know I had an enjoyable ride and my hope is that the Prescott rider enjoyed the route.

Conditions should only get better for the next couple days so maybe we can try something different the next ride.

Doc

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,162 Posts
I sure hope this INfamous rider set a good example for all the young kids on the trail.

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
Redrock Throwdown

TODAY, TWO TITANS OF NORTHERN ARIZONA MOUNTAIN BIKING MET IN THE RED ROCKS TO DO BATTLE...WHO'S MACHINE WILL REIGN SUPREME??

I watch too much Food Network, sorry. :rolleyes:

So Jayem and I met up with Traildoc for some westside Sedona non-system trail riding. Conditions did not suck:thumbsup: No Sedona post would be complete without a list of trails so here goes: Under the Radar to Under under the Radar to Pyramid to Ramshead to Ridge to Sketch to old Ridge to no f*ing idea to Bike Path to car. A total of maybe 50 feet of wet trail was found in 3 + hours of riding. Jayem had the point most of the ride, occasionally waiting up for the next set of trail directions before forging ahead with a decidedly aggressive style on the unknown terrain. Traildoc, recovering from the ACL, rode with more reserve but still showed the skill on the tech bits. Overall, hard to imagine more perfect conditions. I think Jayem went home not disappointed.

Of course, this thread sucks without pics.

Jayem rolling a 4 footer to fairly flat. Notice the perfect form and determined look.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Sweet! Nice to see two antagonists hook up. I had always pictued Jayem with white socks w/ a chubbie so it's nice to see that impression pan out.

Rode with El Rancho and Kerrilu on the eastside today. MS-SS-HT-L. Horse-Broken Arrow-Hogs-Mystic-Chapel-L. Horse-Llama. Two riders were spotted, one from Preskitt and the other from San Diego. Lots of hikers out. Most of the wet spots were on the south end of Llama. The hogs were primo except for some icy sections.

Happy New Year:thumbsup:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,162 Posts
Wow, nice pics.

Anyway, it was fun shooting up with you guys. The riding was good too. World class uphill.

·
Maui Grown
722 Posts
azjeff said:
Jayem rolling a 4 footer to fairly flat. Notice the perfect form and determined look.
Looks more like a 2 footer to me. ;)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,162 Posts
azjeff said:
He only brought 1 oilcan, you think I'm gonna give him bigger props than he deserves?
It was a 24oz though.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I'm curious if there is a preferred direction to the the loop around Pyramid? I rode Windsurfer and Sketch to Secret Slickrock and went by there last week but was out of time to explore. Doc, nice "work" on Sketch! Looked recent.

It occurred to me that from Airport down to Secret Slickrock might be the longest sustained downhill in Sedona (~700 feet) with no WC uphill to interrupt the flow. The only exceptions I can think of might be Schnebly to Mund's Wagon or House Mtn to Turkey Creek. Perhaps, Jack's Canyon from the top of Schnebly but that's in the wilderness.

The new rock jails on the descent of S. Slickrock are a bit over the top. I understand the need for trail markers for the clueless but do they really need to be spaced 50 feet apart?

·
Banned
5,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rockman said:
I'm curious if there is a preferred direction to the the loop around Pyramid? I rode Windsurfer and Sketch to Secret Slickrock and went by there last week but was out of time to explore. Doc, nice "work" on Sketch! Looked recent.

It occurred to me that from Airport down to Secret Slickrock might be the longest sustained downhill in Sedona (~700 feet) with no WC uphill to interrupt the flow. The only exceptions I can think of might be Schnebly to Mund's Wagon or House Mtn to Turkey Creek. Perhaps, Jack's Canyon from the top of Schnebly but that's in the wilderness.

The new rock jails on the descent of S. Slickrock are a bit over the top. I understand the need for trail markers for the clueless but do they really need to be spaced 50 feet apart?
If you throw in Upper Rams Head you are definitely right about the descent. Counterclock wise on Pyramid.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,162 Posts
Going back tomorrow for some mellow action on the Blue Monkey.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.