Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy Sam (13) is riding after school some days and on weekends with his buddies in Joaquin Miller Park. They aren't yet old enough / self-confident enough / interested in riding with the high school racers yet. (Mom works at https://www.norcalmtb.org.) But they like riding together. Do you have a kid who rides mountain bikes, local to JMP? PM me, I bet they'd like some company.

that's right, you know it by l a u r e n . h a u g h e y, on Flickr

We are doing some family-style vacation time with another riding family or two this summer. Are there other families here where both Mom & Dad ride, and have kids in the 11-13 range? I'd love to go to Mountain Bike Oregon, but it doesn't pass the family test, and I can't just go have my own bike fun for long periods of time; it has to fit in a family frame. Downieville/Tahoe camping / riding / summer-house vacations work.

Sure would be good to find more families where Mom & Dad ride, and where kids get along, who like to do bike trips.

Two cool riding stories from my boy:

Sam and three of his buddies were riding in JMP, and they stopped by the water fountain in the upper lot. One of his buddies noticed a pair of Oakley sunglasses. He wanted to keep them, but my boy suggested they leave them so the owner could find them. "Wouldn't you want someone to do the same thing, if they were yours?" Later in the ride they saw two guys riding on Sinawik, one with sunglasses and one without. My boy asked them if they'd lost a pair of sunglasses, and the guy without shades realized he'd left them and said "Yes!" Sam described the shades and the guy said they were his. They gave him $1 for being a good kid. I was so stoked to hear this story.

They play this game on their mountain bike rides, the "high-five game". It involves calling out "high five!" whenever they see people on the trail. The kid to get the most high fives over the course of the ride wins. That is a good attitude right there.

Morgan

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I like the high-5 game!

I've done Downieville with other families, and it worked out great. My kids are much younger than yours, though. We'd have moms and dads trade off playing/hiking/riding. We spent plenty of time at the lakes with the kids when we weren't riding.

I saw lots of families at MBO---though some of the rides may be a bit much for the kids.

·
Registered
399 Posts
ever consider adoption?

I'm 45 years old, but I act like an adolescent (in fact I sometimes behave downright childish on my bike).

take me to Dville with you...

·
CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
1,289 Posts
Our family (two girls 15, 10 and wife) rides but we are more South Bay based. During the late spring, summer and early fall we ride the Passion Trail Bikes Wednesday Wrides almost every week. My wife and I will be going to MBO but sans kids. They go to WA for a few weeks during the summer.

We will likely go to the Downieville Gathering this year and depending on when it happens we may have the kids with us. We also do the Boggs camping portion of May by the Bay. We would love to do some other camping / biking trips this year.

Travis

·
Fat Guy Riding
877 Posts
Dude! I was the guy who left the glasses up there! Your son and his friends are awesome!

The best part of that day wasn't getting my glasses back, but it was seeing young'ens all stoked to ride! They were a reminder of why I ride my bikes, which I sometimes forget...

Was glad to play the high five game with them - At first, I wasn't going to high five the kid in the Cal shirt (Stanford fan, sorry!), but after they told me about finding my glasses, I had to high five them all!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Where's the "like" button? Good job with the kids, Morgan!

Nice to get them involved early. My daughter's still too young but I know she's a future MTBer in the making (from Saturday):

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was the guy who didn't forget his glasses!

Awesome to see kids enjoying their bikes and each other company

and being honest! Proud dad you should be:)

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
scfreak said:
I was the guy who didn't forget his glasses!

Awesome to see kids enjoying their bikes and each other company

and being honest! Proud dad you should be:)
Thanks, when he told us that story at dinner I was so stoked. Felt way better than cleaning $2 Hill.

Let's ride sometime.

Morgan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts