Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cheapo
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's two sister's families came up for a couple days, and brought up all their bikes with them for their kids (5 kids). So this added 4 Huffy's and a Quest to the driveway. First thing I had to do was spin everyone's tires to get the valve stems straight and bring their PSI above the 10-15 PSI that most of them were at. I pumped them up to the pressure on the sidewall. One had a flat and needed a new tube. Another had a 1" blowout hole in it the next morning. I was going to pick up a tube and tire for it ($19+$6), but I saw a whole bike of the same (Huffy RockIt) on CL for $25. :lol: I said this bike isn't even worth the cost to put a new tire on it.

So the Quest pumped up to 40 PSI, and we noticed the tubes/PSI caused the tire bead to actually pop off the rims when we came out the next morning. Had to knock the PSI down just to keep the tire on. She didn't ride it anymore.

Let them drive around my Hotrock 20" and Schwinn Pro Stocks, they were in heaven. Loved them. At 10 and 13 years old, they ought to be on a 'real' bike with hand brakes anyways, not coaster bikes with a tiny top tube length and knees hitting the handlebars. They were going faster than any of them could go on their Huffys.

Hopefully I've influenced the parents to upgrade their bikes to something that fits them and is worth the cost of a tube and tire. They told me they don't ride their bikes much because they're too small and hard to pedal etc. etc.

I guess my main question is about the tires popping off the rims. Cheap tires with weak sidewalls?

Not shown: Broken Huffy and broken Quest.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The air pressure on the side wall is usually Max pressure.
My kids bikes are usually around 25psi. Lower if we're hitting the trails for more cushion.

And yes, I've done my share of bike maintenance to visiters kids bikes. Crooked handlebars, flat tires, rusty chains, and loose headsets seem to run rampant on "non-bike-peoples" bikes.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I rarely pump a kid's bike up to anything close to max pressure. Usually when they're soft enough that I'd pinch flat a bike, my daughter is BARELY causing any sort of deformity on the tire. Being lighter, they don't need as much pneumatics.

·
Cheapo
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK OK so I'll knock down their pressures a bit. :) The 13 year olds with too-small-of-bikes really liked the higher air pressures. They need better bikes.

I do need some new tires for my 20" bike. They are some Haro tire, max PSI of 40 and it's too squishy for my liking. (210 lbs).

·
Cheapo
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ironically I have those pulled up as we speak. :lol:

Pedal shopping too -- two bunny hops and I've already bent my pedal arm. I see a lot of good about Odyssey JCPC and the Twisted pedals.

Oh well. Impressed a bunch of 10 year olds.

·
ilmfat
1,071 Posts
I run stolen thermalite pedals. Good grip and spin smooth.

I wasnt too impressed with the twisted pair I ran. Slop and rust showed up fairly quickly.

If they had 29er holy rollers, id def switch out my big apples, which I love.

The holy rollers aren't great on roots, but they get the job done. And they soak up some of the chatter on the rigid bikes, and I ran em with higher pressures.

·
Cheapo
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm, but are the LEGIT? Aye carumba.

Looking at double/duty neighborhood street tires that I can run around the BMX track without smashing my face. Have to do some reading around.

·
DFL
1,397 Posts
My daughter has the exact same Hotrock.

Sent from my iPad while drinking the kool aid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts