Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Approx 3 weeks ago I placed an ad on both MTBR and EBAY for my Jeff Jones bike (Remember it became the "Ugly thread" ). Well, I'm aware of at least one new Ebay.UK ad where someone has scammed the entire content and is offering my bike for sale. I assure you that ad is false and the person is looking to rip someone off. The bike is at my house and I am in no way associated with these scammers. There may be other similar false ad's out there. I've sent a complaint to Ebay so they can pull the false ad. I just wanted to write so MTBR readers are aware.

Maybe its' already been discussed, if so sorry for the repeat.

Bob

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
The same thing is happening to me. I get emails through ebay from people about second chance offers and auctions that are mine, but are not mine. Ebay won't let me respond through Ebay. Since I don't have a current transaction with the sender, it decides it is best to block MY Email back to the person. I can't even answer an Ebay email through Ebay. Ebay has really been letting the public down as of late.

Sorry that people are using you for a scam. I was following your original auction. Good luck in the future.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
bobde said:
Hello all

Approx 3 weeks ago I placed an ad on both MTBR and EBAY for my Jeff Jones bike (Remember it became the "Ugly thread" ). Well, I'm aware of at least one new Ebay.UK ad where someone has scammed the entire content and is offering my bike for sale. I assure you that ad is false and the person is looking to rip someone off. The bike is at my house and I am in no way associated with these scammers. There may be other similar false ad's out there. I've sent a complaint to Ebay so they can pull the false ad. I just wanted to write so MTBR readers are aware.

Maybe its' already been discussed, if so sorry for the repeat.

Bob
Do you mean the 2nd chance offer that got sent around the other day wasn't genuine?

***Second Chance Offer - Buy The Item You Recently Bid On*** Good news !!! You expressed interest in this eBay item (below) by bidding, however the auction has ended with another member as the high bidder. In compliance with eBay policy, the seller( [email protected] ) is making you this Second Chance Offer. The seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because the winning bidder of this auction was unable to complete the transaction.In compliance with eBay policy , the seller of this item is making this Second Chance Offer to you at your LAST BID PRICE. If you accept this offer, you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction, such as fraud protection. To purchase this item,contact the seller at ( [email protected] ).To learn more about Second Chance Offer go to:http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/personal_offer.html Please note that this is a system generated email.Please do not reply to this email. After receiving this offer you are obligated to contact the seller ( [email protected] ),accept or decline the offer. To take advantage of this opportunity, please act quickly !!! Thank you, eBay

Jeff Jones ONE Titanium 29er singlespeed mountain bike
Current bid: US $5,310.10 (29 bids)
Shipping: Not Specified
End date: Jun-24-06 20:00:00 PDT
Add to watch list | See similar items

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is correct, the 2nd chance offer was a scam

I didn't send any second chance offer to anyone. If you received it, it was a fraud. My suggestion would be to contact ebay to report you got a fake 2nd chance offer. I'm suprised that scammers have found ways around ebay to do this kind of thing, well not totally I guess.

Bob

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
29Colossus said:
The same thing is happening to me. I get emails through ebay from people about second chance offers and auctions that are mine, but are not mine. Ebay won't let me respond through Ebay. Since I don't have a current transaction with the sender, it decides it is best to block MY Email back to the person. I can't even answer an Ebay email through Ebay. Ebay has really been letting the public down as of late.

Sorry that people are using you for a scam. I was following your original auction. Good luck in the future.
probably because the emails aren't really coming through ebay.

·
Registered
532 Posts
A coworker had his S-Works SJ for sale here on MTBR and someone took his add and its pics and ran an auction on e-bay for it! He tryed to alert e-bay but there was no responce.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Mtc said:
A coworker had his S-Works SJ for sale here on MTBR and someone took his add and its pics and ran an auction on e-bay for it! He tryed to alert e-bay but there was no responce.
Yup. It's really fun trying to sell a bike these days.:madman: Even if you watermark your photos with your name and date.

I sold a Trek on eBay back in 2003 and somebody "borrowed" all 6 of my pictures from my eBay listing and listed my bike for sale as theirs at a much lower cost. Before the 2nd day of my listing was even finished, I had received a dozen or so emails from other eBay'ers calling me a fraud. Talk about frustrating. I emailed eBay and let them know what was going on and they pulled the listing.

And, I even ended up having my eBay account suspended even after I reported the obvious fraud. I had to prove that I was who I was to eBay which took about 2 months of faxes, emails and headaches. Eventually got my eBay account back up and running like it was before the mishap and was able to sell the bike with ease on eBay.

But you are doing the right thing, Bob, by letting everyone know what is going on to help shut it down.

BB

·
Registered
101 Posts
False Emails

When you get a questionable email from an ebay member or ebay asking for info forward the email to [email protected] and they will end a reply then later they will send you an email telling if it was fake "fishing" or not. also if your on paypal you can foorward questionable email to [email protected] and they will do the same.

·
Big Wheel Homer !!
1,752 Posts
rockymountainelement50 said:
When you get a questionable email from an ebay member or ebay asking for info forward the email to [email protected] and they will end a reply then later they will send you an email telling if it was fake "fishing" or not. also if your on paypal you can foorward questionable email to [email protected] and they will do the same.
I receive spoof emails all the time. NEVER respond to a email, or use a link from a email that appears fishy. Any contact made by ebay or another ebay member can be read in "My ebay" under messages. If unsure about a email, be sure to check your messages, if it's not there, the email is a fake.

Steve

·
Registered
112 Posts
Most second chance offers that are out there are not legitimate. If you don't see the SCO in your "My Messages" of your My eBay, it's definitely a scam. Forward the emails to [email protected].

The best way to report auctions that you know are blatantly fraudulent is by clicking on "Help" at the top of any eBay page, then "Contact Us" (it will most likely ask you to sign in to your eBay account here).

Choose the following topics:
Listing Violations
Fraudulent Listings (illegal seller demands, you didn't receive item, etc)
You suspect that a listing is fraudulent (you didn't bid)

If the listing was posted by copying one of your listings somewhere else, please also include detailed information about that, including the link to your actual listing. Reporting the listing this way will get to the right department and the listing should get pulled quicker.

·
Registered
101 Posts
cruzthepug your missing the point

If you forward it to [email protected] then ebay will recieve the email and they can investigate it since they want to here about these emails. also the email through ebay cant be checked by ebay. there privacy policy want let them read your email messages that oare in the message center on ebay. its against there privacy rule and they cant use it to check the people out. yes deleting is best but you "dont have to click on a link" in the email just add the spoof for them to your adress book. ask ebay or paypal and they will back this up. deleting is what i do but i forward the message so they will have a record of it. also utsnowgirl ebay will want the header "header shows the path of the email meaning where it whent from them to stopovers along the way" and that they cant get from your report through contactus link. that comes from your email. both of your ways are good but trust me i have had to go though this sad to say but all worked out happy to say.

·
Registered
112 Posts
rockymountainelement50 said:
also utsnowgirl ebay will want the header "header shows the path of the email meaning where it whent from them to stopovers along the way" and that they cant get from your report through contactus link. that comes from your email. both of your ways are good but trust me i have had to go though this sad to say but all worked out happy to say.
True that eBay will most likely ask for the header, but in most cases, the verbiage in the Fake Second Chance offers give away the fact that it's fake. They usually refer to an eBay warehouse or that the seller has funds in an account to secure the transaction. Anyone that is an experienced eBay'er will know that neither of those statements are true. They also request payment through Western Union Wire Transfer, which is a huge red flag.

The path I provided to report fraudulent listings was intended for those of you that have had your listings copies and put up on eBay, not for reporting Fake Second Chance Offers. I apologize if my previous post was a bit confusing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.