Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Always Breaking Stuff
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I realize that St. Helens is in Washington, but that is beside the point.

Does anyone know anything about Falls Creek Falls trail 150/152(A) in the Gifford Pinchot on the south side of St. Helens?

I have seen it in Red-Haze.com's video:
http://red-haze.com/vids/FallsCreek2001.mpg

But I can't find any additional info on it. I have some good maps of the area, and I see trail 152/A but not trail 150. I'm wondering if he meant trail 152. Anyway, if anyone knows how to do this ride I'd sure appreciate some advice.

Thanks,
-Jon

·
Registered
219 Posts
I rode it two years ago, as a shuttle, with some boys from Hood River. That long & hard car ride up was worth it in the end. Paco Finn, who posts here is the master of that ride. I'm sure he'd love to talk you throught the trail. May be even show you the way.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The last two years we ( STMCC ) have done the ride as a shuttle. This is actually my favorite trail to ride in the area. We park about 3/4 of the way up and climb ~4 miles after that. After the short climb its 12+ (maybe more) miles of incredible, fast, single track. There are some really cool lava caves you pass as a bonus. One of our riders starts at the bottom and rides up and meets us. I'll see if he can post some more info in here for you.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The trail is open as of a couple of weeks ago but we have had a couple of storms blow through since then. Right now O&B is your safest bet but I would not have any problems starting at the top with a shuttle either - Park at Old Man's Pass and there are a couple of choices to go from there. As of a couple of years ago new signs were put up and the trail is marked pretty well except remember to look behind the toilets (mid way) once you hit the campground to find the trail again. Careful on the downhill corners - they can sneak up on you just when you begin to daydream you are "in heaven".

e-mail if you need specifics.

Nate
PS - Jerry just says that to get me to respond - I can't master anything!

·
Always Breaking Stuff
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I sent ya a PM paco with my contact info so if you'd rather email me thats cool. Anyways if any of you know trail numbers and some more detailed route info I sure would appreciate it. I have the green trails maps for that area and I'm happy to do some exploring but I've ridden plenty of things backwards to know a little advice goes a long ways :).

Thanks again.

-Jon

·
Registered
219 Posts
Last time old man Paco took me, I recorded the trail with my GPS. I can email the .mps file. You would need Garmin MapSource v.4.07 to open the file.

·
Always Breaking Stuff
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JerryBoneJr said:
Last time old man Paco took me, I recorded the trail with my GPS. I can email the .mps file. You would need Garmin MapSource v.4.07 to open the file.
Sure, thanks. That would be perfect. I PM'd ya.

-Jon

·
Always Breaking Stuff
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I found a pretty good map here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/trails/maps/mta-old-man-pass.shtml

From what I have gathered, to do it as a shuttle:
You park at old man pass
Ride down Trail 150 (151 might be an option too, it is a legal trail at least, not sure how rideable) to FR3053, take a right and ride to the top of the road.
Continue the rest of the way on 157 (with some trail and road crossings) and eventually hit the Falls Creek Horsecamp where you should have your shuttle waiting. That or take trail 152 back up to Falls Creek Trailhead where you have your shuttle waiting.

Thanks for the help.

-Jon

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sorry for the delay in reply, just returned from Moab/Fruita. Whoooo Hooooo

Looks like most of the info for the route has been hashed out already but maybe a couple of notes would be of help.

When ya park at Old Man Pass (just a big apron next to the road) directly across the road is the 150 trail head that then goes over to McClellan Meadows. and the 3053 Road. 150 is just a rocking good trail. Then follow Rd 3053 for a couple of miles to a sharp right hand corner that has the next trail going straight, this will take you over to Falls Creek Horse Camp (actually to a road that you then go down for 1/4 mile to the Falls Creek trail head). Follow the Falls Creek trail down down down down, a couple of road crossings and a bit of route finding involved. Once you get to the "Upper Falls" area you will start to run into aLOT of hikers, please be courteous, this is where the trail nazi's are. Of course the screaming d/h starts here. :)
Once the trail flattens out start looking for the left turn to the Upper Falls parking area. then you can follow the road back out to the main road.

Shuttle: leave a car at the bottom of Falls Creek road, drive up to Oldman Pass and doo the loop.
Ride the loop, Park near Paradise Campground (3 miles from Falls Creek Road) and ride up the road to Old man pass, 5 miles, best done early. climbing that road in the afternoon is HOT.

Have fun!
glad to hear that it is open now, I'm feeling a need for a falls creek run real soon.

bob

thorir said:
Yes, I realize that St. Helens is in Washington, but that is beside the point.

Does anyone know anything about Falls Creek Falls trail 150/152(A) in the Gifford Pinchot on the south side of St. Helens?

I have seen it in Red-Haze.com's video:
http://red-haze.com/vids/FallsCreek2001.mpg

But I can't find any additional info on it. I have some good maps of the area, and I see trail 152/A but not trail 150. I'm wondering if he meant trail 152. Anyway, if anyone knows how to do this ride I'd sure appreciate some advice.

Thanks,
-Jon

·
Always Breaking Stuff
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome!

Thanks Bob. It sounds like I had gotten pretty close to your recommended route, but I really appreciate all the extra notes. Just for the record, I'm always curious to hikers, even when they are yelling at me for not having a bell :).

Hope you had fun in Moab/Fruita, I'm totally jealous.

-Jon

·
Registered
218 Posts
Fantastic post - even better ride

Thanks for this post - I spy in on the OR & WA forums (from Portland) looking for new rides and this was absolutely incredible. The loop/shuttle ride you want is actually right in Mt. Bike America WA (ride 35). The conditions yesterday were great, damp, but very little mud and yes a few blow-downs as mentioned by others. I did the entire loop solo, so the ~11 mile climb (1800 ft.) back up was a bit rough - I should have done that first instead of last. Anyway, poor low quality topo/profile attached with some pics.

Route: Start at Sno-Park to TR 150 to 3053 to TR 157 to TR 152 to 3062 to Rt. 30 & back to car.

Enjoy. I'll be back to explore some more here no doubt. Also there is a route west of the Sno-Park listed in John Zilly's Mt. Bike SW WA book (ride 17 Oldman Pass).

Let me know if you want he Mt. Bike Am. route - I can scan to a .pdf and send it to you.
T-Rex

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
an addition

If you are gonna ride the whole loop, you can bypass the lower gravel road and 2 miles or so of paved road by NOT crossing Falls Creek bridge at the bottom and continuing straight a bit further and catching the logging road that goes up the EAST side of Wind River. Turn right on that road (I use that term loosely) and follow it up river for a mile or two, there are several fun places to cross Wind River (carry bike) usually across big old blowdowns and rocks.

Also, it IS worth it to ride or hike up the Lower Falls trail to see the actual Falls Creek Falls. It is one of the prettiest falls around.

bike ON
bob

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dang it!

You know I tried looking for another way across the river passing the wood bridge as you mentioned, but I came to a very deep section that looked like a swimming spot (steps cut in the dirt) and no way to get across. So yes, I added another 4 miles on the return trip (2 miles south on 3062, then another 2 miles north on 30).

Next time I'll definitely shuttle.

T

·
Registered
81 Posts
Must ride trail now

K, I read all of your posts and the pictures sent me over the edge. Any of you that have ridden it before going to be riding it anytime soon? Let me know, I want to go ride this bad boy. PM me or whatever. Thanks

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Falls Cr. Shuttle

trexnfx said:
You know I tried looking for another way across the river passing the wood bridge as you mentioned, but I came to a very deep section that looked like a swimming spot (steps cut in the dirt) and no way to get across. So yes, I added another 4 miles on the return trip (2 miles south on 3062, then another 2 miles north on 30).

Next time I'll definitely shuttle.

T
Is this Tony? Hey if it is you, it is Jon in Portland, we rode at Smith Rock/Grey Butte together last fall. If it is or if it isn't you, I would love to shuttle Falls Cr. sometime soon. I have been wanting to ride this trail this past year so drop an e-mail at [email protected] if interested.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Falls Cr. Shuttle

trexnfx said:
Yep, same person. I'll be back to FC soon.

T
Hey Tony, I am trying to strum up a Falls Cr. shuttle ride this weekend, preferably Saturday, let me know if you are in. I moved recently, but still live in NE Portland by Providence Hospital. Peace, jon.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.