Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
its really not too far from me. maybe an hours drive? (I'm in portland basically)

has anyone ever been there? looks like some wicked riding. I might go.

how hard is it? looks like some really challenging riding. possibly above my skill level. just wondering is there anything else than huge drops and big jumps?

two vids of the place
{21 mins long}

heres "basic" training

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no one to take : \

none of my riding friends want to go. they only will go to mt hood and local. I've tried persuading them for a year, no luck.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
very much worth it to go....I live in LA and try and ride there 2 times a year...

everything has go arounds (cheater lines) there are trails for XC too......all the trails are really well thought of...

this place will definately improve your skillz....check out basic training...you could stay there all day and practice (a great place to try new things without the risks...like a simulated road gap)

My advice go there....very much worth it

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sleeper said:
Check out westsidefreeride.com for people to ride with...

its a great place to learn as well - plenty of beginner stuff
well, I'm not really a "beginner" I can ride any of the trails at whistler... I did just that last summer. but just everything looks so much harder at blackrock. more technical.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Most of the trails are not to difficult.Bonzi is a beg. trail that has big burms with smaller jumps that everyone love.I was out there today and the trail was perfect.With the weather I guessing about 30 to 40 riders will be out there each day.So you should have someone to ride with .Local riders are good at giving tours.

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
Falls City rules and I'm only about an hour and a half away. The only downfall is its not shuttle able (unless you hit a shuttle day:D ) you have to hike to ride! But its is awesome for all skill levels...

Did any of you locals see the front page storie in todays Oregonian? 1-26-07

Duane

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deweydude said:
Falls City rules and I'm only about an hour and a half away. The only downfall is its not shuttle able (unless you hit a shuttle day:D ) you have to hike to ride! But its is awesome for all skill levels...

Did any of you locals see the front page storie in todays Oregonian? 1-26-07

Duane
Yes ! that was so awesome. thats kind of what got me thinking. I should go to falls city sometime :p where are you located? I'm in the west linn/lake oswego area. how long of a drive to get there? :p

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
todd_freeride said:
Yes ! that was so awesome. thats kind of what got me thinking. I should go to falls city sometime :p where are you located? I'm in the west linn/lake oswego area. how long of a drive to get there? :p
Its about 20 min west of Salem.
I am in Vancouver (WA) but I most likely won't be going back to FC till late spring, I spend my time in the winter on my skibike on big mountain snow :D

Duane

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
todd_freeride said:
well, I'm not really a "beginner" I can ride any of the trails at whistler... I did just that last summer. but just everything looks so much harder at blackrock. more technical.
Black Rock is fun for any rider ability. Lots of choices. The big stuff tends to what you see the most pics of.

Just be aware that unlike the ski areas you need to get yourself up the hill (unless it is a shuttle day). Unless you are in SW Portland it will take you more than an hour to drive there.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shiggy said:
Black Rock is fun for any rider ability. Lots of choices. The big stuff tends to what you see the most pics of.

Just be aware that unlike the ski areas you need to get yourself up the hill (unless it is a shuttle day). Unless you are in SW Portland it will take you more than an hour to drive there.
is it a really hard climb? getting to the top I mean. both my bikes run a 22-32 so I can climb them.

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
TWISTED said:
I might go tomorrow saturday), but can't decide which bike to take. I'm in Portland.
Oh sure TIM you'll go to FC in the snow , but you whine that it is too cold to throw a leg over a skibike :cryin: :confused: :p

We ran the "pine" yesterday the first run was icey but once the sun hit the trail it was like spring ski'ing man and we was soon peeling off clothes....

Duane

·
SNOWRIDER
1,564 Posts
todd_freeride said:
is it a really hard climb? getting to the top I mean. both my bikes run a 22-32 so I can climb them.
Todd the Hike is not bad and its fire road all the way to the top, some people ride it .
But I am an old guy on a heavy dh rig so I usually hit the shuttle days..:thumbsup:

Duane

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Deweydude said:
Todd the Hike is not bad and its fire road all the way to the top, some people ride it .
But I am an old guy on a heavy dh rig so I usually hit the shuttle days..:thumbsup:

Duane
good to hear :p looks like my 39.1 pound zone will finally use its granny gears. I'm guessing its a suitable rig for falls city ? :p

I'm also going to build up a DH hardtail for the place. ironhorse yakuza, dropoff comp 130mm fork. but to then be replaced by 150-170mm of travel.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TWISTED said:
I might go tomorrow saturday), but can't decide which bike to take. I'm in Portland.
have fun down there! I would take the MC, but I dont think its up for 170mm travel freeride :p building the yakuza up for that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.