Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a 20T cog (from a cassette) on my 29er (sir9), the chain keeps on falling while I apply high pressure.

Today, I noticed that the cog is not well mounted on the wheel, and has some freedom to spin just about 1-2 mm that I believe can cause the problem.

I just ordered SS specific cog from Niner, do yo know if this cog is designed to better fit the XT hub I am using?

Any additional advice to stop my chain from failing? :madman:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
PQrider said:
I am using a 20T cog (from a cassette) on my 29er (sir9), the chain keeps on falling while I apply high pressure.

Today, I noticed that the cog is not well mounted on the wheel, and has some freedom to spin just about 1-2 mm that I believe can cause the problem.

I just ordered SS specific cog from Niner, do yo know if this cog is designed to better fit the XT hub I am using?

Any additional advice to stop my chain from failing? :madman:
Spinning is not a problem. Unless you mean tilting sideways which is a problem.

(1) Check that the cog and chainring are aligned.
(2) Set the EBB so that the chain is tight but loose enough for you to spin the cranks backwards. I set mine so that if I kick the crank it makes at least two revolutions before stopping..

·
Registered
19 Posts
the cog is the problem if you are using one from a cassette for single speed. the tooth profile is shorter because it is designed to allow the der. to shift the chain. a proper single speed specific cog will work wonders. it's also a good idea to run a single speed specific chain ring as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.