Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday's ride....... The temps were almost summerlike. We felt very fortunate to have these kind of conditions. Our descent started out in the standard fashion. We were playing and sessioning on the various stunts dotting one of our favorite trails.

Mid way down the ride, HucklerMark and I were stopped and waiting for JOD and Dirty D. Julee had gone back to retry a particularly chunky rockpile. The Rockpile was somewhat obscured by trees. I could hear her approaching. I looked back, waiting to see her pop out into the open, but instead, I saw her bike flying through the air, upside down.

It didn't look good.
We ran back up and she was in a lot of pain. She had augered, head first, into the ground, hard.... and had sustained a bad neck injury.
I got onto my bike and pedaled quickly up to the small mobile home area and called 911. Mark and D stayed back and attempted to comfort her.

They had to Helo her out.

The good news is she had feeling and could move all of her extremities.

As of this time, XRays show a fractured C1. It's the top vertebrae in the stack. She is being transfered to another hospital. That's all I have for now.

Not a great way to spend XMAS Eve.

Please keep her in your thoughts tonight.

SBG

Attachments

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,364 Posts
Thanks for the heads' up about JOD, Aqua. I'm glad to hear that she is in as good of shape as she is. Nice job on the first aid. A fractured cervical vertebrae is some scary sh!t.

I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

-Paul

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Best wishes and many prayers. Hope all is well, and JOD can get back on the bike soon.

Good thinkin on yer feet by the way. Glad to hear the ems got there fairly quickly.

happy trails...

squish

·
Registered
491 Posts
Serious stuff...

That gives me chills... I hate to see that kind of stuff happen to anyone when they're out doing what they enjoy.
My best wishes-
John

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
Crapola. Sorry bout that guys, I'm staying at my folks place for the weekend and forgot to sign my Dad out before I posted. My bad.

happy trails...and best wishes...

squish

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
not that this is at all about me but ive been in similar situations and had some very good pals there to help me out when i needed it the very most. aqua, you and yer friends may not know just how much this musta meant to her not to mention the fact that ya took very good care of her. bravo man!

my best wishes to jod. do me a favor please and pass that along. yesterday i think it was, i was askin where shes been. this is not what i had in mind for a answer. someone get the girl a laptop. the next few weeks may be a bit on the slow side. if i had one is gladly send it.

i hope this wasnt her 1st copter ride. mine sucked, mostly it was the view or lack there of, and its no way to experience such a cool thing.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
So sorry to hear it. Pass along our best wishes. I hope she recovers quickly with as little pain as possible. It's great her strength and sensation are OK.

Those EMS guys really are heroes. I'm sure Julee was glad she had friends to help yesterday, too.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Wow

Scary stuff! best wishes to JOD for the full recovery. I guess this justifies my being such a pansy on tough terrain.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Our hearts are with JOD Aqua - and I hope you'll continue to be there for her. The healing is always the hardest part.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
OH man :( That is such terrible news. Be sure she knows everyone (even the lurkers) are pulling for her speedy and painless recovery. Luck JOD

·
Registered
40 Posts
What hospital and what is Julee's last name?

·
BODYSNATCHER
287 Posts
Magu says

May JOD know we all care, and wish her a speedy recovery.
I put her on the prayer list at our church, and wish her a speedy, healthy recovery.
And, Steve, hang tough bro. It's hard to be the one who is watching a loved one suffer.
Hope this finds you in a better place today.
Magu

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Crap!! My heart goes out to her and she's in my prayers....

I know what it is a C vertebrae injury.... A buddy of mine was not that lucky and now he's on a wheelchair. Not from riding, but that doesn't make any difference.

Godspeed on recovery!

1 - 20 of 118 Posts