Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Turner Forum yesterday.

Yesterday's ride(sat)....... The temps were almost summerlike. We felt very fortunate to have these kind of conditions. Our descent started out in the standard fashion. We were playing and sessioning on the various stunts dotting one of our favorite trails.

Mid way down the ride, HucklerMark and I were stopped and waiting for JOD and Dirty D. Julee had gone back to retry a particularly chunky rockpile. The Rockpile was somewhat obscured by trees. I could hear her approaching. I looked back, waiting to see her pop out into the open, but instead, I saw her bike flying through the air, upside down.

It didn't look good. We ran back up and she was in a lot of pain. She had augered, head first, into the ground, hard.... and had sustained a bad neck injury.
I got onto my bike and pedaled quickly up to the small mobile home area and called 911. Mark and D stayed back and attempted to comfort her.

They had to Helo her out.

The good news is she had feeling and could move all of her extremities.

As of this time, XRays show a fractured C1. It's the top vertebrae in the stack. She is being transfered to another hospital. That's all I have for now.

Not a great way to spend XMAS Eve.

Please keep her in your thoughts tonight.

Sunday Update:

JOD's MRI's show no loose fragments, No ligament damage, no nerve damage, and most importantly, no brain damage.

They rigged her up with a halo, which is going to be rough. But, the best possible news is that no surgery will be neccesary!

She had a rough day today, she developed a severe reaction to the morphine, which caused her unbearable itching.

JOD is strong, she'll rally. It's just that these first few days are obviously very trying .

Thanks for all of your kind words. I'll make sure she sees this thread, when she is able. I'll be seeing her tomorrow sometime.

Thanks, peeps!

PS I'll get mailing addy for any of you interested in sending her a get well card. It's possible she will be released this week.
SBG

Attachments

·
Trail Goddess
988 Posts
My Christmas prayers are with you!!!

Hang in there kid. I need someone to live vicariously through. ;) I love checking out what wild and crazy looking stuff you've tried and cleaned. Chin up! and Get well soon. Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Been there and it SUCKS.

Fiona

·
Registered
510 Posts
get well

best wishes for a speedy recovery from one homerella to another. Wearing a halo is gonna be tough, but thank goodness there is no cord damage. I work at a hospital and do Cat scans and MRI's on a daily basis with neck fractures and cord injuries. It's such a bummer to see. I am SO happy to hear the news about no fragments and no cord damage, get well soon! -jewels

·
Dirtmistress
552 Posts
Holy Keeerap!!

:( JOD! This sux huge!! I'm so sorry. You are the ultimate stud for sure! Downieville awaits next spring! As does BrianHead, so heal well and correctly.
Damn girl! I'll be thinking of you!!!
liz

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JOD Update

I went to visit JOD yesterday at the hospital. It broke my heart, again, to see her in that Halo. She's got some rough days ahead of her. But, she is surrounded by loved ones and in good hands. Her father has flown in from northern California and D is staying by her bedside as much as possible. She had a bad reaction to the morphine that they administered, so they now have her on Demerol. It's not quite as effective in reducing the pain level, but the reaction has subsided.

It brought a tear to her eye to hear about the outpouring of support and concern from all of you. People that she only knows by screen name, but she still considers friends.

The good news is that she will probably be going home in the next few days, so if you'd like to drop her a line, you can send it to:

Julee Dennis (JOD)
3555 Grove St. #231
Lemon Grove, CA 91945

Thank you again, Peeps for thinking of JOD! The JOD will ride again!

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Heal Quick!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery JOD! Don't let the injury get you down, it will only make you stronger. Soon you will be back on your steed and impressing all of us with your stellar bike skills.

We are thinking of you! Get well!
MTNgirl

·
mtbr member since 1997
354 Posts
Oh, that's terrible to hear. I'm very glad that it's a clean break with a good prognosis for recovery. That's a scary injury. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Mary Ann

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
Eeek! That's a scary injury! I'm glad to hear she can feel and move fingers and toes.

Heal up fast, Grrrl!

Kathy

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JOD Watch

The JOD is rallying!!!

She actually was up and walking around a bit yesterday. She was able to get out of bed and walk to the door! YEAH!!!
She apparently wants revenge on that stunt and is already thinking about a bigger bike.

I rode that trail yesterday. When we got to that section, we stopped and had a moment of silence. Then we flipped it off and continued on.

Perhaps Dirty D will weigh in later with some more details of her progress.

Here's the rockpile that bit her.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.