Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well just finished my 1st video w/ my schools new Final Cut studio 2 set, and our new Canon XH-A1. i did a short informative street/dj MTB/BMX video for my 1st project on it for a few local high school film festivals. i was aloud to upload the video due to music copyright stuff from my schoo, so i took out the audio and put in a different song. it was my 1st time working w/ any type of color correction; i only messed w/ teh primary colors though, but i think i did an alright job w/ it. when i uploaded it it seems as if it is sticking but i think that is just because i had to compress from 1080i to 720 and from 60fps to 24fps. but as i do this more hpefully taht will all sort out. srry for ranting.

remembur to veiw in full screen to see it in HD.

oh and please critique it, good or bad.

Patrick

·
Registered
367 Posts
Nice little first video.

A few things that you probably noticed though (I think our best critic is yourself as we always notice more imperfections with our work than other people).

But, work on getting the camera work smoother, start panning shots much earlier so you have more to play with in the editing suite. That will help avoid some of those jerky starts to the panning shots you had a few times.

You had some nice shots playing with the focus, try to play with the manual focus more to get some interesting closeup stuff, like a blurry shot, with a sudden well-focused tire landing on a coping in the middle of the shot and disappearing to a blurry out of focus shot again, fade in and out effects work well with that too.

Play with slightly slowing down some shots and multiple angle shots as well. That can look really nice, with one camera you are limited, but if you film the same trick done a few times from various angles then you can get it.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TheDon said:
Nice little first video.

A few things that you probably noticed though (I think our best critic is yourself as we always notice more imperfections with our work than other people).

But, work on getting the camera work smoother, start panning shots much earlier so you have more to play with in the editing suite. That will help avoid some of those jerky starts to the panning shots you had a few times.
yup, i know exactly what you are talking about. when i watch it one of the only things in it i see is the shakes and when i didnt follow the rider fast enough w/ the camera. and the dirty lense.

TheDon said:
You had some nice shots playing with the focus, try to play with the manual focus more to get some interesting closeup stuff, like a blurry shot, with a sudden well-focused tire landing on a coping in the middle of the shot and disappearing to a blurry out of focus shot again, fade in and out effects work well with that too.
i tried that shot at 1st w/ manual focus but i wasnt getting it in2 focus fast enough, so i set it up out of focus manually and than use AF to "fix" it, u can tell when i flipe dthe switch, teh camera moves a little bit.

TheDon said:
Play with slightly slowing down some shots and multiple angle shots as well. That can look really nice, with one camera you are limited, but if you film the same trick done a few times from various angles then you can get it.
yeah, not trying to make excusses but it was kinda hard because everyone that was riding wanted to just keep moving on to a new spot instead of just riding one spot for a while.and at the skatepark the cops kicked me out till spring cause i was riding w/ just a helmet on while we were waiting for soem other riders to come, so i was only able to film from a few spots behind the fence.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Don't worry, camera work is a skill and takes time to develop your techniques.

Working with the the focus, you can find the correct focal point positions on the ring before hand and practice twisting between the positions you want, then when you record the shot you can be quick with the focus change. You can do some dummy shots before the rider does the shot to get comfortable with what you want to do.

Usually the auto focus will do that, that's why if you want to do nice stuff playing with the focus that you need to practice.

Sounds like you went through a lot of hurdles to finish the movie, those shots through the fence were nice, funny that you had been kicked out of the park and that was the only position you could do it from. But it is good to play with shooting from different angles and from different places, you can sometimes get some great shots form weird places.

Finally, for movie work, people skills is also important, you have to be able to talk the people into really being motivated to get them to do what you want. Did you offer the riders DVD's copies of the finished movie?

Keep on working! Watch more movies and study what they are doing with the camera. This was only your first movie, keep thinking about different shots, and how you can make really interesting footage. You can only get better!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i burnt it onto a few DVD's for the riders. i really like messing w/ the focus, i want to try stuff where one aspect of the image is blured and the rest is clear, but i think (dont know to much yet bout diff lenses) i would need to get like a Redrocks M2 converter to go down from a 72mm lense to a 35mm lense to get a shallower depth of field, or somthin like that, i think? but i dont have a camera of my own yet so there is no point in spending the money just yet. but im saving up for sumthin like a Panasonic AG-HVX200A but if the RED Scarlet is all that it crackes up to be i might have to save up for that.

i really need to stop ranting

·
Registered
34 Posts
You should shoot in 30p. I've never used that camera, so I don't know if you can. But if you can, it looks cool. 24p might get a little jumpy looking though.

What kind of tripod are you using? Is it a fluid-head? One trick for smooth camera moves is to put a rubber band around the handle of the tripod, and pull on the rubber band to move the camera.

And as far as the 35mm adapter, those things are rad. Real lenses annihilate. One of the problems with the lenses on the pro-sumer cameras is that the focus ring is only a controller for the motor. You don't really have any direct way to manipulate the focus. It's annoying.

Artistically, try to do everything for a reason. Don't do interesting shots or angles just to do them, they've got to be motivated by something.

And finally, pay more attention in English class.

Good luck with video. I was in your shoes 10 years ago. I do this professionally now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.