Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pleased to announce the dates and itinerary for this fall's second annual Homer Nation convention in Utah. We will be starting in beautiful southwest Utah near St. George on Thursday and Friday, September 28 and 29, to ride Gooseberry and Little Creek Mesa or the Utah high country. :thumbsup: Then it is off to classic Moab on Saturday and Sunday, September 30 and October 1, for rides on Porcupine Rim, Gold Bar Rim, Amasa Back, or whatever else people are in the mood for. :thumbsup: If there is sufficient interest and time, we may also pop up to Fruita for a day on Monday, October 2. :thumbsup:

The added bonus of this year's gathering is that DT and the Turner crew will be joining us, and they will bring a few toys with them in the form of Highlines, RFX's, and various other Turnerific goodies for people to demo! :D YES! :band:

While this is mainly a Turner owner's gathering, if people are considering the purchase of a Turner and would like to have a chance to see a fleet of them in action or would like the opportunity to demo one, this may be a good opportunity. However, note that specific bikes and sizes are obviously not guaranteed. We have a big tent and don't want to be exclusionary, but this is primarily meant to be an event to bring together birds of a Turner feather. All Turner owners are encouraged to come and join in the fun, bring their rig, swap with other Homers on the trail, and maybe check out other offerings from Turner Bikes Inc.

The format will be much like last year's trip to Moab. People are generally responsible for their own transportation and accomodation, but we can network here to hook people up with places to stay and to coordinate rides and reservations. There were about 20 folks last year which was confusing enough. Don't make CrashTheDOG crazy(er). :nono:

The dates are fairly firm, so if people want to make arrangements to attend, they can do so. Individual rides may change based on weather and other factors, but the overall itinerary should hold. The Thursday and Friday in St. George is during the final two days of Interbike, so IBike attendees who are sick of walking the convention center floor can pop out to join us, and the Moab dates are the weekend immediately after the show so people driving home can take a little detour and hang with us.

Oh yeah, bring armor! :eek: :D

·
Fragilie
866 Posts
Homer convention

I'm in. I have yet to formally introduce myself to the Turner board so I guess now's the time. I ride a pair of Turners, flux and Six Pack and wouldn't trade them for anything. I'll post some pics of them later. I'm located in Albuqurque, NM and have lots of great riding here and would be more than willing to accomodate any Homers looking for a different place to ride.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Whats the best ride here? If I can only make 2-3 days what days should I shoot for? Maybe Zocchi will have my fork back by then too.

Edit: Also - since I would be flying in and having to ship the bike where is a good end point?

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
That looks like a great road trip. Especially since these trails are local for a lot of Homers. If Crash doesn't mind riding with an inbread homer, count me in. Anyone wanna car pool from the Front Range (Boulder, to be more specific)?

_MK

·
More Chasmism
798 Posts
Burro Down

Phillip,

Just letting you all know that the new, official Hazard County is now done (as of 1 week ago), such that Burro Down is ridable in an essentially legal form. That means beginning the DH run of Porc up as high as 11,200 feet (near treeline). Late September should be perfect timing for you all to pull off that ride. Still no snow up high (usually) and not too hot down on LPS / Porc.

I'll be riding Hazard (though not B.D.) tomorrow; I'll probably take some pictures which I'll post over on Passion.

hfly

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ssinga, if you are doing the St. George portion, flying into Vegas is your best bet. It's about an hour and a half in the car. Getting to Moab is a little bit harder. Salt Lake may be the best access point. I always take my bike on the plane with me. A hard case like the Trico Ironcase are excellent.

Logisically, you may want to consider the St. George part of the trip. I will already be down there as will Team Sanchez (obviously), and we can show you around prior to the official start of the gathering. Access to Vegas is easy, and the riding in St George is EXCELLENT!

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
hfly said:
Phillip,

Just letting you all know that the new, official Hazard County is now done (as of 1 week ago), such that Burro Down is ridable in an essentially legal form. That means beginning the DH run of Porc up as high as 11,200 feet (near treeline). Late September should be perfect timing for you all to pull off that ride. Still no snow up high (usually) and not too hot down on LPS / Porc.

I'll be riding Hazard (though not B.D.) tomorrow; I'll probably take some pictures which I'll post over on Passion.

hfly
Hell yeah, count me in

CC- you picking me up on the way:)

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Mannnnnnnnnnnn, that is wedding anniversary weekend. You guys are gonna get me divorced yet!
"Ummmm, honey, how about we postpone our anniversary this year?"
"You can postpone if FOREVER, Renny!"

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't mean to frighten anybody, but people who showed up last year out of shape suffered. Badly. :eek:

I suggest you train for the gathering, and I don't mean by increasing your alcohol tolerance.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
tscheezy said:
I don't mean to frighten anybody, but people who showed up last year out of shape suffered. Badly. :eek:

I suggest you train for the gathering, and I don't mean by increasing your alcohol tolerance.
I hope not everyone is an animal of your caliber.

_MK

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Renegade said:
Mannnnnnnnnnnn, that is wedding anniversary weekend. You guys are gonna get me divorced yet!
"Ummmm, honey, how about we postpone our anniversary this year?"
"You can postpone if FOREVER, Renny!"
looks like las vegas it is. good deals on airfare from the atl too.

renny- just make sure you ask AFTER anding her that huge diamond!

·
KAIZEN!
99 Posts
great trip!

Man, this trip sounds like a lot of fun! I only have a one-week window to play with (due to coaching comittments) ... I might be able to arrange it such that I am may be in the Moab / Fruita area at the tail end of your proposed trip - potentially flying into SLC Monday Oct 2 and returning Mon Oct 9... are there any of you that might be lingering in the area?

Several of my friends are planning their vacation to Moab around thoses dates and I am hoping to hook up with them for my 40th Bday on the 8th. I am the only Turner owner in our group, but would like to try to meet and ride with some of you. I am very interested in trying out a 5-spot and an RFX as I am thinking about buying one of these in the near future. The ability to demo one or borrow one for a bit would greatly help with my decision. It would also be neat to meet Mr. Turner himself!

Thanks,

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,119 Posts
tscheezy said:

I've ridden with Team Sanchez and they are definitely in shape. Just the thought of trying to hang with them up the climb to Gold Bar Rim makes my legs hurt and my stomach queezy. It might be best to not eat a big breakfast that day - at least don't eat anything that would look bad splattered all over sandstone.:D :eek:

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
tscheezy said:
I don't mean to frighten anybody, but people who showed up last year out of shape suffered.
And then there are those of us who have that covered but need to get our drop skills (particularly to flat ;) ) honed. A lot more potential pain to be had if you're not on your game there. :eekster:

Thanks for the early heads up; air fares are still reasonable at this point. There's no way I'm missing Homer Fest and the unveiling of the 29"er.

I'm going to try to make it happen flying into Vegas on the 27th and leaving the 3rd, so if anyone wants to go in on a rental vehical (SUV/Van) for that period we should talk. I'll probably camp most of the time unless some good lodging opportunities present themself.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.