Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Falcon 100 KM on Sunday, August 1st at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs needs course marshals!

Racing on the Falcon Trail and one event in the Rocky Mountain Games, this race could be canceled without about 15 additional course marshals.

Falcon Trail crosses the road 13 times.

If anyone is able to help, please contact the Race Director at [email protected]
For race information go to www.sandcreeksports.com

Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Is this event part of the Rocky Mountain State Games?

If not, and if you didn't know, there will be all sorts of athletic events happening all around Colorado Springs, with many of them occurring at the Academy.

This may be something you keep in mind. I will be working at another event on the academy that day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
bena1916 said:
Thanks--we actually are running this race for the State Games guys just like we did last year.
Take a tip from C Grealish, get in touch with a local homeless shelter, preferably one that requires residents to contribute to their own expenses, and offer to make a small donation to the shelter for each person who volunteers for the day. Grealish got lots of support for Boulder Roubaix a few years ago doing this and from my perspective, the people he had working for him were pretty motivated and took a lot of satisfaction from feeling helpful and appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
So, I was just looking at the race info on the sandcreeksports.com site, and there's a reference to insufficient volunteers and a requirement to finish within a certain time. I guess that's the time that you have your volunteers committed for. Anyway, just what is the time limit? I'm on the fence between going to WP on Saturday or to C Springs on Sunday, and knowing the time limit for the Falcon 100km would really make the decision a lot easier.
 

·
Living Large in Germany
Joined
·
105 Posts
mudge said:
So, I was just looking at the race info on the sandcreeksports.com site, and there's a reference to insufficient volunteers and a requirement to finish within a certain time. I guess that's the time that you have your volunteers committed for. Anyway, just what is the time limit? I'm on the fence between going to WP on Saturday or to C Springs on Sunday, and knowing the time limit for the Falcon 100km would really make the decision a lot easier.
As of right now with our volunteer issue it's looking like (not definite though--hopefully longer) racing will be from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm so that gives you 6 hours to do the 100 km or about 10 mph. Should be some good racing as the trails in good shape right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
bena1916 said:
As of right now with our volunteer issue it's looking like (not definite though--hopefully longer) racing will be from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm so that gives you 6 hours to do the 100 km or about 10 mph. Should be some good racing as the trails in good shape right now.
So, Matt... how would you describe the trail? Given that it's on the Academy grounds, I'm having a hard time imagining it being very technical, although I imagine it may be pretty hilly.
 

·
Living Large in Germany
Joined
·
105 Posts
mudge said:
So, Matt... how would you describe the trail? Given that it's on the Academy grounds, I'm having a hard time imagining it being very technical, although I imagine it may be pretty hilly.
Actually the reviews the trail got on here are pretty accurate:

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-s...ado/front-range/trail/PRD_166639_5844crx.aspx

Here's a gps map of it that we did last weekend (note this isn't the same starting point as what will be used):

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/40960182

IMHO I like this trail, mostly climbing on single track with a small amount of fire roads thrown in, a couple of water crossings, a small technical rock garden area uphill & a step down section (rideable but I prefer to be cautious), and a great single track descent back to the start/finish area. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,059 Posts
If this is the same group that ran the UCI last year at Cheyenne Mountain State Park, I'm sorry to say, I don't want to volunteer. It was pretty disorganized and there was virtually no thank you for the volunteers. I think we got a ticket for a cheap sandwich and that's it.

No real instructions on what they wanted, no organization, no relief available, nothing.

And a last minute call for volunteers....
 

·
Living Large in Germany
Joined
·
105 Posts
skiahh said:
If this is the same group that ran the UCI last year at Cheyenne Mountain State Park, I'm sorry to say, I don't want to volunteer. It was pretty disorganized and there was virtually no thank you for the volunteers. I think we got a ticket for a cheap sandwich and that's it.

No real instructions on what they wanted, no organization, no relief available, nothing.

And a last minute call for volunteers....
Wow I'm a bit surprised as we had a marshal coordinator that was supposed to handle all of these issues and to our knowledge that was accomplished. I apologize that we treated you poorly as that certainly wasn't our intent. I would certainly like to chat--please pm me if you would like to discuss any further.

As for the last minute thing. Sports Corp who runs the Rocky Mt State Games is responsible for course marshals and they haven't supplied the volunteers. So we are trying to make sure that the event can run safely by finding some additional volunteers. Once again sorry about your experience last year.
 

·
Living Large in Germany
Joined
·
105 Posts
Great news--we just got word from Sports Corp that a number of Fort Carson soldiers have volunteered so we should be covered for the races minimum safety requirements.

Amazing these soldiers have been getting hammered with 12-18 month deployments away from home pretty much non stop for the last 10+ years and they're still willing to come out and help the community with their precious home time. If you come out and race make sure you thank one of these outstanding soldiers as well as all the volunteers.

We can still use volunteers to ease some of the work load but we'll definitely be holding the event now. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
I have a half day Sunday, and can show up for either an 8-1 or 12-5 kind of shift. I'm actually signed up for the 100K, but not healing from an injury fast enough to make a go at 5 laps. I'd sure like a crack at this race next year, so I'd be glad to put some time in on Sunday if that helps. Bena1916 - who do I contact for when I can be most helpful?

jon
 

·
Living Large in Germany
Joined
·
105 Posts
jnordby said:
I have a half day Sunday, and can show up for either an 8-1 or 12-5 kind of shift. I'm actually signed up for the 100K, but not healing from an injury fast enough to make a go at 5 laps. I'd sure like a crack at this race next year, so I'd be glad to put some time in on Sunday if that helps. Bena1916 - who do I contact for when I can be most helpful?

jon
you can contact Andy by email: [email protected]

thanks for the help--it's much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
bena1916 said:
Actually the reviews the trail got on here are pretty accurate:

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-s...ado/front-range/trail/PRD_166639_5844crx.aspx

Here's a gps map of it that we did last weekend (note this isn't the same starting point as what will be used):

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/40960182

IMHO I like this trail, mostly climbing on single track with a small amount of fire roads thrown in, a couple of water crossings, a small technical rock garden area uphill & a step down section (rideable but I prefer to be cautious), and a great single track descent back to the start/finish area. Hope this helps.
So, 24lb HT29er or 29lb FS 29er? Recommendations?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Are you there to race, smile, or both? An FS 29er would be more of a grin factor catching air on the water berms and smoothing out the brake bumps, but an HT 29er is going to be faster on that course if you like rolling climbs and carving corners on that bike. I have a 575 and a Salsa Dos Niner, and would ride the Salsa for that race hands down.

I'll be on the SuperV xtracycle yelling at one of the road crossings 8am-1pm according to Andy B. Local riders/racers, either sign up and race or join up and volunteer and keep this race viable by giving half a day on Sunday! Step Up!

Jon
 

·
Living Large in Germany
Joined
·
105 Posts
Finished staking and course arrowing the trail (not that it really needs it) this morning it I'm predicting sub 55 minute laps for a couple of the fast guys--the rain has really helped out there with the exception of a couple of switchbacks but everything else is really fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
Hey, Matt... first, thanks to you and everyone involved for putting on the race yesterday. Very well run. Kudos.

Second, are the results posted anywhere?

tia
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top