Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Probably not fake but if they were cheap on eBay they could be problematic. I purchased some PD-M8020s off of eBay earlier this year, to my regret I didn't actually put them on the bike until after the return period was over. They look real, box, Shimano info, etc, but the right pedal is super sloppy and the axel moves in and out and eventually ejects all of the grease in the pedal. I've torn them down and re-greased them but can't rid of the axle slop. They match the Shimano exploded view as well so they are accurate there. I did read that Shimano had some QC issues with pedals so assume these were either returns or a known bad batch being sold on the cheap but they appear genuine.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,999 Posts
Doesn't say SHIMONA!

• Haha
Reactions: bingemtbr

·
CEO Product Failure
2,403 Posts
Best way to determine authenticity is to remove the axles, then determine if the bearings are sealed or loose. If they are sealed, they are not Shimano. If they are loose, count the bearings. If there is an odd number of bearings, then they are legit. If there is an even number of bearings, then they dropped one bearing when assembling them.

In all seriousness, what's the issue? Are you concerned the pedals stamped PD-M8100 are from Malaysia and not from Japan? I am not seeing any reason to believe these aren't legit.

·
furker
915 Posts
Shimano launched a smartphone app in Asia earlier this year to combat counterfeits. The first product they are using it for are pedals. That is a sure sign there is a counterfeiting problem out there for pedals.

"A smartphone app will be able to confirm that a product is authentic by reading the code. Initially the QR label and app will function in Japan and China and be used on pedal and cleat packaging. The company said it will expand the program to other countries and other products. "

shimano-launches-global-anti-counterfeiting-program

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.