Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be taking a family trip to meet some friends at the fair mint hotsprings resort this summer.... I'm from Arizona and have no idea what to expect.... Is there any riding in the area? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
beater
5,984 Posts
There is, but I don't know much about it. El Cid lives in Anaconda, but he doesn't post here much anymore. I recommend calling Sven's Bicycles in Anaconda (and/or stopping in there) and asking the locals for info. I don't think you'll find much on the web.

·
Banned
1,682 Posts
I do a business trip there every year, Basically around the 24 of june. it is a buying group meetings. I always go a couple of days early and get some rides in on the continental divide trail out of homestake pass. some really good riding. Basically butte has some good riding around it. to me it is worth the 1/2 hour drive to the pass. I have done some rides around Fairmont, but prefer the cdt.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The Pintlers, which are the mountains around Anaconda, are big, beautiful and largely empty. There are some good hikes to mountain lakes and peaks I've done and they'd be great on a mtb. Check with the U.S. Forest Service's Rangers ahead of your visit and they will be able to tell you where to go.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'll be taking a family trip to meet some friends at the fair mint hotsprings resort this summer.... I'm from Arizona and have no idea what to expect.... Is there any riding in the area? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I've wanted to explore the area South of Fairmont, as it would appear to have decent riding.

I'd concur with Tim, though, that the easiest to find/best riding is likely going to be the CDT N and S of Homestake Pass area off I90.

It's pretty sweet riding and there are a few different options (i.e. 2 days of rides)

Another option would be Curly Lake Highline which is closed until 7/16, but it's a sweet ride too (in the book) along with Lost Cabin Trail if you're in the area...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Another option would be Curly Lake Highline which is closed until 7/16, but it's a sweet ride too (in the book) along with Lost Cabin Trail if you're in the area...
To clarify, those are great rides although not what I would consider "in the area" of Fairmont - you're probably looking at an hour's drive or so. I know there are some ATV trails that intersect with German Gulch near the old Beal Mtn gold mine south of the resort. Those might be worth exploring. Also, see if there is any riding at Discover Basin ski area. As for the Pintlers, make sure that you won't be crossing any Wilderness boundaries or at least be prepared to plead ignorance if you run into anyone.

The CDT trails would be the easiest to find and travel to and are well worth riding. Beaver Ponds / Toll Canyon are accessed from the CDT and are both described in the most recent guide book that you can buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts